1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need help with PEN decision.

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by jtcannonball, Jun 19, 2014.

1. jtcannonball

jtcannonball Loaded Pockets

I'm looking at purchasing a couple quality pens. One for myself for EDC use and general note taking and one for my wife who uses her pens daily for journaling. I'm looking at the Karas Kustom/Fisher Space Pens/Stainless Embassy for myself but don't know if there is something that is more of a must have out there that I'm missing. For my wife she loves Pens, she loves smooth gliding type motion and ink. I think something that the tail stands on the body if it's a threaded cover. I'm making her a leather journal cover with a spot for a pen so she can have it all together. I'm hoping to get this all done in two months before her birthday.

Thanks

2. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I've got a render k and love it... It takes pretty much every refill I've thrown at it.. Anodizing is tough.. Not a scratch after two years

I like it so much I'm going to get another... Maybe their bolt or a copper render k.. When I save up for it.

jtcannonball likes this.
  3. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

get her a fountain pen :) nothing glides over a paper like fountain pen with well tuned nib. choosing good one is not easy.. even from reputable brand i hear.. i'm looking into one for my wife's b-day next month.

thatotherguy and jtcannonball like this.
  4. jtcannonball

With my wife I'm thinking a fountain pen would be disastrous. LOL

5. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I'd skip the stainless embassy unless you want a really heavy pen. I was going to toss it to my girlfriend to check it out when I got mine, but feared it would knock her out or break a tooth if her hand/eye wasn't up to snuff. It's a tank.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

jtcannonball and kertap75 like this.
  6. Cujobob

Cujobob Loaded Pockets

I went on a pen binge a few months back and my favorite was the Maxmadco bolt action pen. Cheaper than a Ti bolt, small enough to easily carry around, and built like a tank. For your wife, I would focus on finding a refill that suits her and then find a nice pen that can take that particular refill. Gel pens, around 0.5 would probably be perfect for her, but they're higher maintenance than a rollerball. I believe I'm using Fisher medium refills and while it fits my uses perfectly, I know of a few lady friends that would find it not smooth enough for their preferences. I gifted a Ti2 pen which is well liked, but there are some problems. The refills don't last very long. The pen scratches up easily. The ink can get on other things accidentally. With all of that said, the Hi Tec C refills are super smooth. I've heard good things about cheap Tul Pens, I've been wondering if those would be a good alternative for refills.

kd7dvd and braswes like this.
  7. braswes

braswes Loaded Pockets

^^^^ This! ^^^^

kd7dvd likes this.
  8. Win

Win Empty Pockets

They're out of stock atm, but bigidesign's Ti Click Pro and Classic seem to be very versatile as far as refills go. They take rollerball refills like Montblanc or gels like Pilot G2 or Pentel EnerGel (this one is my favorite). Karas Kustom's Retrakt is also very versatile, but several refills require modding to work with the knock. For example, the EnerGel has to be cut to the size of a Parker refill and used with the Parker adapter

9. trojansteel

trojansteel Loaded Pockets

Definitely feeling the pens by Tactile Turn....

Choose between Mover and Shaker for the refill that suites your needs.

jtcannonball likes this.
  10. jtcannonball

My wife loves the Parker Rollerball Fine refills, does anybody know if those work in the Karas line of pens? They are a little bigger on the tip end that the other Parker refills.

11. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Oh boy...the Parker rollerball refills are a bit proprietary. Disregarding length the tip must fit through the end of the
    pen. Then, since that are all metal, the only length adjustment is the plastic tube on the top that comes off. I'll
    try to dig one up and see how it fits my various pens.

//Another Parker rant
    The plastic Parker Vector is what I used the Parker rollervall refills in. But click became loose and bent on all of them.
    (and the metal grip was always too thin and too tapered).
    //

12. jtcannonball

Your help is very appreciated. This pen is a three part birthday present. I'm making her a leather Journal cover with pen holder. I'm combining the pen, journal (moleskin) and cover for her birthday. I'm super pumped about the surprise. It's been tough finding things for her that blow her away.

The Pattern.
    [​IMG]

The cutout.
    [​IMG]

Now I just need a good leather die that will allow a nice patina over time and look rich and classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

pens I have used happily:
    aluminum, brass, and steel embassy pens. no headstand or tailstand, but very solid and heavy and fisher compatible
    Prometheus Alpha pen in nickel plated aluminum. feather light (especially when switching to this from an embassy pen!), takes Montblanc refills. very comfortable, good pen for taking lots of notes
    Fellhoelter tibolt. a bit longer than the Alpha and embassy, but still light. bolt-action clicky, good for pen spinning.

14. beefstewcheezy

beefstewcheezy Loaded Pockets

So, I have tried just about all of them, had a tibolt, it was awesome don't get me wrong, it's just the heft wasn't there, I like heavy pens. But it was awesome. So I tried the maxmadco stainless bolt action, awesome pen and writes great and a little heft to it. A little shorter than the tibolt and the bolt itself is a littler smaller so it's a little more streMline but the stainless steel embassy pen has prolly been my favorite so far. Awesome writing great heft and you know it's there when you need it

15. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

I got a waterman hemisphere rollerball for my graduation, which is probably the nicest feel pen I have aside from my fountain pens. Writes silky smooth.

I'm also a massive fan of the fisher space pens, but I haven't had much experience with a lot of the more popular pens that people use on here, so I'm not much good for comparison.