1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need help with Boy Scout knife (pics)

Discussion in 'Knives' started by BubbaFett, Jun 19, 2013.

1. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty new to EDC, but I've held on to this knife since I was a kid. My grandfather gave it to me when I started scouts, and it was a little rough-looking and stiff. It got more so over the years--I wasn't in scouts long, and I'm just now catching up on how to take care of knives, etc.

Anyway, I've held on to it for sentimental reasons, and I'd like it to get it looking/working good. At first I thought it was corroded/rusty, but I've since learned it was probably just a patina. I've already cleaned it up a bit with some fine steel wool and WD40, and it looks better but the smaller blades are still really difficult to deploy.

Any tips would be appreciated! I'd also like to know if anyone could tell me how old it is, I found some similar knives online but no exact matches (I know it's an Ulster, but not sure what to call the scales).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MatBlack likes this.
  2. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

mwoj likes this.
  3. mwoj

mwoj Loaded Pockets

Nice knife! I would spray the WD 40 in the hinges and inside the knife and let it sit for about a minute. Then, try and scrub out the hinge and inside area with a q-tip or an old toothbrush or something similar. After that, I would rinse it all out with some warm water, dry it off with the air compressor (unnecessary but it gets into the crevices, q-tips will be fine) and then oil it up. This is more complicated than it needs to be, but this is how I do it. Good luck!

sungame and MatBlack like this.
  4. squid86

squid86 Loaded Pockets

Very nice knife. I have one like that with a darker brown handles. I have no clue how old it is, or how to help you but I'm hoping you can get it back to its glory. They are a very handy knife, and yours is a keeper.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

5. ameeks

ameeks Loaded Pockets

Your knife was made from 62-79. The model is ULSC4x The x denotes handle material. I'd take a guess it's ULSC4H.

enki_ck likes this.
  6. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

This is just about what I would do too. After oiling it up, try to open and close the blades again and again. That should make them easier to deploy. The first few times you open it, there might be a bit of rust/gunk mixed with oil seeping out from the crevices around the blades and backspring. Just wipe it off with a rag or paper towel.

Go easy on the steel wool, though. It would be a shape if you damaged the inscription on the blade.

mwoj likes this.
  7. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone!