1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need Help Spending Money

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by mike3145, May 20, 2017.

1. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

A while back I bought some new tires and got a rebate in the form of a $60 Visa gift card that I have to use up before the end of the month. Sure, I could spend it on groceries, gas, or underwear but that doesn't sound like a lot of fun. I also have an Amazon gift card worth about $70 that I'd like to use up at the same time. Frankly, I don't need much nor do I want a lot either...
    • Knives/multitools - got several and don't use them enough to want more
    • Flashlights - got plenty of them although I might consider something noticeably brighter than my e05.
    • Watches - other than say, a Breitling Navitimer, I don't need another watch.
    • Don't need/want any firearms
    • Don't need any kind of luggage or bags
    • Got plenty of shoes/boots
    • I have just what I need on my key chain and don't want to add to it.
    Which leads me to some of the stuff I have been considering...
    • Knipex pliers wrench. Can't decide if I should go with the 6" or 7". Not going to be something I EDC.
    • A wet/dry vac. One of the uber premium vacs like Festool would be nice but I can't justify the expense. I would like something reasonably compact (around 10-12 gallons) with plenty of suction.
    • 1/2" flex head ratchet. I'm not a professional mechanic so I don't need Snap-On. Leaning towards Gearwrench.
    • Knipex Cobra pliers but that's much more of a want than a need. Frankly I don't use the half dozen pairs of Channellocks I have now all that often.
    • Wera Kraftform Kompakt. What I don't like is the size of the bit holder itself, which might be too bulky in tight spaces. Instead I'm considering Wiha's Drive-Loc bit holder
    If anyone has any suggestions...

Thanks!

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Well, here's a thought. Use the gift card now for food or gas or some other 'mundane' regular need. Then take the equivalent cash out of your bank account (I'm assuming you have cash on hand of course); put said cash in an envelope and mark it as 'Mad Money' or 'Rainy Day Money' and seal the envelope. This exercise will buy you time to really decide what you want to use the cash for, without the artificial deadline imposed by the gift card expiration date!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Ding Ding Ding

Spending money just to spend it is something I always regret. Whatever I buy tends to just sit or I end up selling it for a loss.

Great idea!

PragmaticMurphyist and garza like this.
  4. DrTom

DrTom Empty Pockets

"Invest" in one of Rocky's bolt puzzles. All handmade from solid brass on his lathe and of the highest quality. Treasured by collectors and just plain fun to play with and pass around at gatherings. Great for " Tool Guys". Check out his stuff here.... http://www.brasspuzzlesbyrocky.com/destinations.htm

5. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Buy the new Spyderco Polestar!!!

Ets: oops, should have read the whole description. Lol. I don't know anything about those you mentioned.

Awesome thread title by the way. :D