1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need help on CA knife carry laws.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Iragon, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Iragon

Iragon Loaded Pockets

I know it's very late, but I am heading to the Redwood at 0600 today. And I've had a very long week at work, 10 hours a day 5 days straight.

So, please help me now!
    I will be bringing the Ladybug 3, 1.9" blade,on keychain, open carry.
    Endura 4, 3.75", in the pocket with clip shown.
    Silent Soldier, 2.7" fixed blade, concealed.
    Izula, 2.7" fixed blade, concealed.
    And a 7" Ka-Bar in the bag.

I know the city is a whole different story, but we will be staying at the campsite.
    As far as knife goes, am I good to go?
    Not going to bring any firearms, my mom is worrying about I might run into bad cops, and I know CA does not allow open carry.

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

What will you be doing with all those knives?

Iragon likes this.
  3. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

way back I was told my mini grip, under 3" was fine for CA.

Iragon likes this.
  4. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

Can't link to it here; but a quick search returned the following (from a law site, not .gov though):
    Almost any (2" or greater) fixed blade knife which may be used as a stabbing weapon must be open carried. Can't conceal fixies, guess it's a technicality they may or may not stick you with. Has something to do with dirks and daggers, ref. CA Penal Code 21310.

Folders can be carried openly or concealed, except folders which are not legal (switchblades etc) that you shouldn't have anyway. :p If you're going to carry one open and locked into position (can't think of why) it also qualifies as a dirk or dagger and needs to have a sheath of some sort.

Don't quote me on any of that (not a lawyer etc etc). Just did a quick search as the thread caught my interest, being from CA.

Iragon likes this.
  5. Enemy Combatant

Enemy Combatant Loaded Pockets

Folding knives are exactly that. Folding. Therefore, there is no California state law restricting the size of folding knives. Both manual-opening and assisted-opening knives are unaffected. The primary exceptions to this absent restriction emerge when you're on California state school property or California governmental establishments (I think).

Individual cities and counties are a bit different as the legislative bodies could enact various types of local ordinances restricting knives.

Best advice I could give you is don't carry a fixed blade concealed. At all. I'm a bit rusty on my state's knife laws, but carrying a concealed fixed blade in your unlocked backpack, on your person, could be subjected to law enforcement attention upon detainment and inspection.

Iragon likes this.