1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need help narrowing down a list of bags

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Random Dan, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Random Dan

Random Dan Loaded Pockets

Hello everyone,
    I've never had an EDC backpack before, but now I'm riding my bike a lot more so it is kind of a necessity. I'm looking at ideally 25-28 or so liters. Needs to hold a laptop, books, cords, 1 liter nalgene, and other misc EDC gear. Would prefer a color other than black and as non-tactical looking as possible. Here's what I'm looking at so far:

Alpha One Niner Evade
    I like the organization. Price isn't too bad right now since it's on sale. I've heard some people complain about the shoulder straps.

Tom Bihn Synapse 25
    Probably my favorite design, but by the time I got the pack and laptop sleeve it would cost $240, which is a lot more than I'd like to spend. I could be convinced though if it really is that much better.

Vertx EDC Gamut
    Seems kinda similar to the evade. I think I prefer the evade.

The North Face Recon
    The organization doesn't seem as nice as on the evade and synapse, but I can get it for $75 which is about half what the evade costs and less than a third of the synapse. It also has a good warranty to back it up and the padding/ventilation looks better than the evade or the synapse.

I've never really looked into the world of daypacks before, and I'm kinda lost in the myriad of options. Any help from those of you who have used these packs would be appreciated.

2. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

For bike use I think having a waist strap is worth while, just for stability. That rules out the evade I think and adds some more cost to the synapse. The vertx is an odd duck. I own one and it's nice but it's really built around the concealed carry platform.

For general use I think it's very hard to argue against the recon. It's a proven pack. That's would be my choice given your parameters.

3. Random Dan

I've been using a kinda cheap backpack for now and it's starting to fall apart but it has been fine without a waist strap even fully loaded so I'm not too worried about that. I'm leaning towards the Recon. It's not particularly exciting but $75 it's hard to justify buying one of the others, especially the synapse.

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Evade has attachments for a waist strap too. They just don't sell one but it wouldn't be difficult to use another one at all.

I agree about the Gamut,it is oddly designed and much less useful than I had hoped.

The Synapse is Brilliant but pricey and I haven't decided about the Evade just yet,only had it for 1 day!

The Recon looks really good to me as does the Osprey Nebula.

I do think you will like a waist belt while riding.

5. Random Dan

I'm also now considering the Patagonia Chacabuco and Paxat. I haven't been able to find many good reviews of them, but they they look nice, aren't too expensive, and I like to support Patagonia when I can.

6. Random Dan

I like the organization, the side pockets, and the clamshell opening on the evade. The only thing holding me back is plain cordura back panel. Both the chacabuco and the recon have padded/vented back panels which I think would be nice for biking in the summer.

7. Carcass

Carcass Loaded Pockets

How about a 5.11 Covert 18.? It's perhaps a hair smaller than you may want but packs well and in non-tactical looking. You can bring it anywhere. It's my go to bag.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Bloom

Bloom Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Evade. The organization is top notch, and if you add in some Matroskya pouches, it makes the pack even more useful. I also own a North Face Surge which is a good bag, however I feel like the Evade is kind of a "do it all" pack in that you can use it for just about any situation. Again, once you add in some Matroskya pouches into the Evade, it's really hard to go back to another backpack that doesn't offer this type of attachment / organization options.

9. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Evade as well. Like what Bloom said, it's been the most well organized bag I've ever had - and for the price, it's hard to beat.

10. Random Dan

Thanks for your help everyone. I found the Patagonia at an outlet store for $70 and I decided I couldn't justify spending twice that on the evade so I bought it. Maybe there is an evade still in my future sometime, but not right now.

11. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Have you considered the Vanquest Ibex-30? They may still be on sale.