1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need help...Messenger bag or Backpack

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by mikeescape09, Dec 30, 2013.

1. mikeescape09

mikeescape09 Empty Pockets

Hey guys! Long time lurker here and finally decided to get myself an account and post. I have been doing the whole EDC bag thing for a while and currently have a dilemma. I'm sure its been mentioned here before but I'm having issues deciding between an messenger bag and backpack as an EDC. I switched from a 5.11 sidetrip briefcase to a rush 12 because the sidetrip is freaking huge IMO. I like the rush 12 but im not a huge backpack fan. I ordered a rush messenger bag as an EDC to see how I like it. I mainly go back and forth between the office and carry my laptop as well as my G23. But the big issue here is that I want something that I can use as a partial BOB as well as an EDC.

I understand that a BOB is technically a 72 hour bag (which I have) but I want something I can carry everyday that can hold me over for a night or so if the :censored: hits the fan. Im planning on putting together a BOB in the future as well that will live in my car. Any opinions or ideas?

2. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

I carry a Timbuk2 messenger for work; it contains my laptop, my tablet, a small fixed blade, a small toolkit, and a small FAK. I also carry a Maxpedition Lunada with the rest of my EDC stuff, but it stays in the car while I am at work.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

3. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Hazard 4 Sherman carries my EDC currently. I'm pretty happy with it. Other than cold weather gear, if I had to spend the night outdoors during the cold weather seasons, the Sherman holds everything I need. There's a thread for the Sherman in the EDC Bags forum to which I've contributed if you want to check it out.

My GHB (Get Home Bag) is in my vehicle in a small Kelty backpack. My BoB is a larger bag that stays in my home.

4. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

5. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

If you prefer a messenger bag for your EDC/Work stuff, then you may want to consider picking up a separate bag to use as a GHB or BOB that you can keep in your vehicle, home, work place, or wherever. If you have ever done any extensive trekking with a messenger bag, they can become very annoying over the long haul...at least IMO. Because of that, I prefer backpacks to messenger bags for anything other than daily carry needs, or a day at an amusement park with friends family, etc. Backpacks with cinch straps are extremely useful for tightening down small loads to conform to your back, while allowing you to expand the load for an overnighter or couple days travel when the need arises. I'm not so sure messenger bags offer that same flexibility.

6. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

You have somewhat contradictory needs - EDC and BOB have different requirements.

Only two advantages of messenger bags:

- easier to get in / out of quickly
    - good ones are waterproof, no zippers

Disadvantages:

- bad with heavy loads
    - bad for walking around with
    - less organization

Messenger bags are better for EDC, but worse for BOB.

7. mikeescape09

mikeescape09 Empty Pockets

Awesome! Thanks for all the ideas guys. I think im gonna use my messenger as an EDC and keep the rush 12 in the car with other GHB needs. Thanks again

8. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

I think that is a good idea. The Rush 12 would be a good GHB stashed in the car. It isn't overly big and shouldn't take up too much room in the trunk, backseat, floorboard, etc....but still offers rugged diversity and gives you the ability to attach more gear or pouches if needed.

9. JustaGhost

JustaGhost Loaded Pockets

if you have carried a messenger for a long time and like the form factor than stay with it. I carried a messenger for years but never loved how it bounced around, so i switched to a sling which works great for me. Seems like the sling style is a love it or hate it, so in the end it comes down to how you liked carrying a messenger. A backpack is good, and i did that recently, but doesn't work for every business environment IMHO.

wrath0r likes this.
  10. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

I tried a messenger bag and it bothered my back a lot, but it also let it breathe. I find backpacks far more comfortable and scalable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

11. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

I use both. A messenger bag in the city and for groceries, going to work and whatnot, but a backpack if I am in the woods hiking and doing more active things.