1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need help choosing Knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by sherbel1000, Aug 10, 2015.

?

Witch knife is best

1. DELICA

15.0%
  2. PARAMILITARY 2

40.0%
  3. EMERSON CQC 7

15.0%
  4. Other...?

30.0%
  1. sherbel1000

sherbel1000 Loaded Pockets

I need help choosing between a couple knives.
    - Pm2
    - Delica
    - CQC 7
    -Anything else you guys recommend
    I want a reliable knife that will last a while but I dont want to drop a fortune for it. i Know anyof the knifes is good but i want opinions!

kertap75 likes this.
  2. AztecaMX91
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

AztecaMX91 Loaded Pockets

Have both the Pm2 and a Delica between the two I would go for the Pm2 solely for the compression lock which makes it easier to close one handed, almost like a Benchmade Axis lock. Oh and S30v over VG10 steel, there's that too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kev2488 likes this.
  3. Airborne 1

Airborne 1 Loaded Pockets

Which is Best??...That depends alot on what your going to Do with it...Tell Us More !!

2 Panther

4. AztecaMX91
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

This may be because I'm in the honeymoon stage with this knife but look into the k55k Mercator also known as the Black Cat knife. Its German made and been around since WWI. It's not fancy but it gets the job done and it's cheap too.

5. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

Just a general purpose knife? Most everyone here will tell you Pm2. I'm curious as to why you are considering the CQC 7, it seems to be a bit of an outlier from the other two. I'm not a big fan of tanto knives and I'm not big fan of Spyderco (I don't know what's wrong with me, honest). I don't even have a good reason to not like Spyderco. I'd look at ZT, DPX, or Emerson (different model) for something around those price ranges, or Kershaw to go cheaper. I"ve got a $50 Kershaw that I've had since 2005 probably, no issues.

madlag likes this.
  6. sherbel1000

Honestly i like the CQC 7 because That's the knife Mark Owen carried on the OBL raid. It's neat!! I want a gen. Purpose knife that is reliable and i know it will work in 10 years. i like the PM2 because of all the reviews and the s30v steel. The delica is cheaper and a good edc blade. The CQC is neat but not practical.

7. Airborne 1

sherbel1000...Let me be more specific...What do you cut as your day goes on ...Boxs,fruit, yourself,you know ,how hard are you going to use it...If you use a knife to cut,any of those will last 10 years . But if you take if out and Beat the crap out of them,you will never get one to last a year and most likely less.
    I see that you are a young man , still in high school...Whats going to happen when you get seen with it ?...It will go into someone else's pocket. Your money is gone !! Thanks,I need a new PM2...you see what I'm saying!

Man , I don't want to sound like I'm giving you a hard time...but you should think hard why you Need a knife. I'f its to show off and you have the money to burn ,then buy what you will...If you need the tool then, look in to a good nonfolder and learn how to use it ...Sharpen it...and carry it...Take care of a good knife and it will take care of you or atleast cut the crap out of ya !...if you need help finding a good one ,ask..(But your age is not going to help)

2 Panther

8. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I agree... it depends on how hard you're gonna use it. Emersons are well known as being tough knives, and Delica 4s/PM2s have been recently tested and shown to also be tough knives. I don't like my Delica much. I don't like the sabre grind and am not a huge fan of VG-10. However, it's one of the most popular knives Spyderco makes, so obviously I'm not in the majority with that one. I don't have a PM2 but it's a good looking knife.

As far as the Emerson goes, I wouldn't buy it... at least not the CQC7. I don't like tanto blades or a chisel main bevel (I can deal with a chisel edge bevel), and I find the mini Commander to be (from my thoughts, haven't used one, have held one, don't own one) a more useful knife for cutting tasks beyond prying and stabbing. Also, Emersons are known for not having the best fit and finish in the world. They're workhorse knives and are a little rough around the edges. It's up to you on whether you want to spend that much money on a knife with imperfect F&F or not.

I feel like I'm telling you something you already know, but don't do anything stupid with whatever knife you get... I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but if you're in high school be careful with what you use the knife for and where you carry it. People are generally much less forgiving of a teenager with a pocketknife than an adult. Don't know why, but it's unfortunately true.

sungame and Airborne 1 like this.
  9. sherbel1000

I cut boxes mainly but a durable fairly inexpencive knife is what im looking for. i leaning on the delica side. its cheaper

10. Airborne 1

If thats what want then go for it...I wouldn't expect it to last ten year years...sherbel, there are a lot of knives to be had for under 70.bucks...look around...you'll be surprised... a 20$ sodbuster will last a long time !...But its not as cool !

2 Panther

11. Airborne 1

p.s What state are you in ?

kertap75 likes this.
  12. AztecaMX91
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Kershaw Cryo is a cheap but solid alternative

13. thegamettt

thegamettt Loaded Pockets

have you looked at zero tolerance knives? Benchmades are decent too, take a look at the griptilians.

Kev2488 likes this.
  14. masonshin1

masonshin1 Über prepared

the Ontario RAT 2 or 1 is not the 'best' but its pretty up there because of the under $30 price.
    hope this helps

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you're cutting boxes, I'd go with a full flat grind if I were you. A sabre will work too, but a well-executed FFG will just fly through cardboard. Spyderco does make FFG Delica 4s if you're set on the Delica (they come in a bunch of different colors too). It's a nice knife- I'd just like it better if it weren't VG10 and if I had the FFG version.

As it is now, I prefer the Salt 1, which is based off the Delica 3 in H1 with rustproof hardware, a titanium clip, a hollow grind, volcano grip and a yellow handle. I really like that knife and have carried it a lot :)

sherbel1000 likes this.
  16. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't have a recommendation for you since it's all really personal preference. I will warn you that the Emerson is only drilled for right side carry. And if you buy direct from them they won't shop to certain states, including New York. Good luck with your search!

sherbel1000 likes this.
  17. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

My delica was my favorite knife for a long time...and it definitely lasted ten years..spots of rust and a needed to edge from me not knowing how to sharpen right for a long time. A better steel than vg10 would be better, as would a FFG. But you'll pay more.

It was my favorite long after I lost it and started carrying other knives. It's not anymore, but that's just because my baby microtech is so cool.

I'd buy one of those before I didn't twice or four times as much on the Emerson just because it's cool.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

18. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Delica is a fine knife, out of your choices listed. Personally I prefer a Swiss army knife for most things.

19. Swedish169

Swedish169 Loaded Pockets

Id second the sak, i prefer the vic huntsman. Also check out the benchmade 530. Its totally not bad :censored: or anything, but its probably the most comfortable knife to carry, and the thin profile works better for slicing boxes.

20. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

Sort of depends on your preferences. If you want to do a lot of one-handed opening and closing, PM2 will be your best bet. Doing a lot of cardboard cutting is another vote for the PM2 because of the steel. I like the Delica but it's a lockback, which I don't particularly like except for an occasional-use EDC knife since it sort of takes two hands to close safely. I had a PM2 and I thought for sure I'd love it, but there are drawbacks. The main thing is that it's really big when closed and the blade just isn't long enough to justify that much handle. Spyderco makes other S30V options if you need the high-end steel. I have a Sage, for example, that I use for box breakdown every day.

There are so many knives out there that I'd expand my list a little bit, if I were you.