1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need help choosing hiking boots

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Nick22N, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Nick22N

Nick22N Empty Pockets

For my daily wear, I prefer hiking boots. They offer ankle support and make me feel good. Well, now I decided to upgrade my boots and there r soo many options.
    My first question is, are Vibram sole really that amazing in traction? Majority of online reviews call it a superior sole.
    The boot I thought of purchasing has something called an essensole.
    Any idea what type of sole is that?
    I do go on treks twice a year where a good grip on wet rocks is required.
    Rest of the time, the terrain I walk on is paved footpath and aspalt roads in a city.
    Should I go for a Vibram sole boot( even though it costs a lot more ) or an essensole boot? Which one will be more durable? I am spending close to $200 so would want the soles to last for a few years.
    Please advise

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Tapatalk

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

You might want to take a look at some of the threads on the EDC Clothing forum up above. Lots of boot discussions there!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Merrell makes the best boot, for me.

4. Sindri

Sindri Loaded Pockets

For me, nothing better than the Lowa Tibet, best boots I ever owned :)
    Never heard of essensole so can't tell on them

5. outbackwack

outbackwack Loaded Pockets

I've been through Technica, Asolo, Scarpa, Solomon and now I have Vasque, which by far have been the most comfortable for me. I wear a 7½, which socks big time trying to find any shoes that fit me. Merrell's do not fit me at all. I wound up with women's 9½W Gore-Tex and bought a second pair they fit so well. 12 hours or 12 miles is no problem. Check out the new Vasque Skywalk GTX. The soles should last a while on most boots given you probably won't be grinding them up on rocks and gravel unless you are a park ranger or guide. What about a motorcycle boot? I even spent 12 hours working on concrete wearing my Alpinestars once with no problem. I'd use Zappos or Sierra Trading Post to test some due to their easy return policy. Or Revzilla and Motorcycle Superstore for motorcycle boots. Just wear them on carpet so the soles don't get worn.

6. Jakala

Jakala Loaded Pockets

Vibram is really not one type of sole, but a brand from italy that makes all kind of soles. Im mostly a fan due to the system to re- "sole" (is that english?) A wornout shoe

Im a happy "meindl" user, (they fit best to my wife feet) and for 30 bucks i had new soles installed a few years ago...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G870F met Tapatalk

7. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I've had some Vibram-soled approach shoes that on wet rock have made me like a mad cow on roller skates! Others have been okay. I wouldn't treat that label as a guarantee of superior traction.

My approach would be to find some that you find comfortable and then read recent ('cos they'll redesign the boots over time) reviews.

Sorry, but I can't think of anything better.

8. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Big fan of my Asolo GTX. I can wear them all day with no fatigue.

9. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

Im a fan of the Merrell line bc of the wide sizes and goretex options in all their models.

10. Jay PS

Jay PS Loaded Pockets

I too like to wear light to mid-weight hikers daily. For a few years I was wearing Danner GTX 452, which I highly recommend. Rugged and comfortable enough for hikes and sharp looking enough for the office. That being said, a few months ago I purchased a pair of Lowa Renegade GTX and I could not be happier. I've pretty much abandoned the Danner GTXs and wear these practically every day (when not wearing Danner Recon for work). While I can't weigh in on longevity at this point, that was never the Danner GTX's strong point anyway as the soles are soft and wear out in about 18 months or so.

These are the Lowas I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MPPV8W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1