1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need help choosing a new gun

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by FLbeachbum, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Desertratt1322

Desertratt1322 Loaded Pockets

Look I was not looking to get into a debate about gain and caliber size, From what I have seen most people do not shot a 90-grain standard-pressure hollowpoint, I carry 124 Grain Federal Hyra-Shok JHP and have no issues what so ever. This tread was to help someone figure out what would be the best pocket size pistol for him or her to carry. To be honest if you want to shot yourself with different caliber rounds to test body armor and the effects of the round then go for it be my guest, all I was saying was that most of the individuals who carry out there are not going to encounter a armed individual wearing body armor. Your common thug who is going to try and car jack you or try a home invasion probably will not be wearing armor, so at close range even a "90-grain hollowpoint" will do damage, may not kill them, but will give you enough space to get away from the person to put a few more rounds into them. I do recommend anyone buying a gun to go rent one at a range, test drive it and see if it will be what they are looking for.

0dBm likes this.
  2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

What you stated is sensible.
    Regarding, 90-grain 9mm bullets in .380-length brass loaded to standard pressure (21,000psi), they are MUCH more common in the European nations.

Desertratt1322 likes this.
  3. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

I just saw this magazine cover at work today. My first thought was, overpriced enough for some people to say on other forums, this is the only good revolver, all others are subpar.

baccar-3 and 0dBm like this.
  4. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

Never been shot by either .380 or 9mm, and I guess I don't have the balls to be shot by either for sport to know which is better. I'm a 9mm guy, and my EDC gun is a Ruger LC9s. The extra weight and size over the Ruger LCP in .380 seem negligible to me, and I can carry 1 more round, with the option of using the 9+1 extended round magazine. The LC9s just seems to disappear in my pocket, and I have never had anybody mention anything about printing. In fact, I've caught myself in situations where I had the gun on me and shouldn't have just due to how unnoticeable it was to carry. It is like an afterthought until you need it. I got mine for about $350 a handful of years ago, but you can get them for around $300 today. I have an M&P Shield 9mm as well, and while it is a great gun which can be bought ridiculously cheap right now with rebates, there is just something about the ergonomics of the LC9s that make it so easy to carry, and make you feel like you're James Bond.

Desertratt1322 and FLbeachbum like this.
  5. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

I'll play... lol.

First I'm not LEO or Mil. I have trained with a lot of "real deal Pro's" and spent last Fri-Sun doing an intensive pistol class. Also several lectures by the real deal people including a lot of talk about the Miami shooting.

All said and done. Don't carry anything less than a 9mm. Carry an auto loader (not a revolver). And have at LEAST 7 in the gun if not MORE and an extra mag or three.

When you need to shoot, there are so many variables in a real fight that you don't want to be at ANY disadvantage.

And one other thing about all this. Go seek COMPETENT live fire training. Not some gun store CCW class. I could write volumes about what I know and learned.

I have a bunch of CCW guns. Most sit in the safe now that I have evolved. Since I hate selling guns (as I'm a hoarder lol). I still have a lot I will no longer carry and I am sticking to my own advice.

6. dhw46725

dhw46725 Loaded Pockets

I carry a Ruger Lc9s when I can't carry My Revolver due to what i wear and it is very concealable and still gives you the power of a 9mm over a 380.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

#66 dhw46725, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    jtg622, FLbeachbum and MCPOWoller like this.
  7. Carl Belcher

Carl Belcher Banned

I'd say the best gun to carry is one you will carry. In general handguns don't have much "knockdown power" unless you hit a vital structure in the body. IMHO it's more important to be able to shoot accurately and reliably than how big the gun is. If you can't/won't carry it or can't hit with it, it's no good. So don't be afraid of a .380 if it works for you, that being said I would stay away from the Keltec P3AT. I had one and it was the WORST gun I have ever owned. It didn't function well and was very uncomfortable to shoot and hard to be accurate with. I can recommend the Ruger LCP I still have a custom with the better sights and trigger in my rotation, it's a very good gun.

jstert, MCPOWoller and dhw46725 like this.