1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need help choosing a new gun

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by FLbeachbum, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Desertratt1322

Desertratt1322 Loaded Pockets

S&W M&P Shield 9, I carry it either at the 1,3 or 4 o'clock position, The 1 o'clock position is in a CYA holster and the others are in my Alien Gear Clock Tuck 3.0. Spare 7 round Mag in my front left pocket. And this gun conceals great in the Clock Tuck holster.

2. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

I call :censored: on the old 380 vs 9 whining.. For conceal carry/self defense anyone being shot at self defense distances won't be able to tell you if it was a 380 or a 9.

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  3. Goob469

Goob469 Loaded Pockets

In reference to the S&W Shield - I personally do not have one, I have looked at them several times and they have great reviews... But, as a heads up and maybe push you over the edge (you made a comment about price) S&W is doing a $75 rebate on Shields right now. At a good gun shop that should bring the price down to the high $200's to the low $300's. (Where I'm at you can pick one up for $359.99 so, that brings it in at $284.99 after the rebate.)

Cabelas is doing an extra $75 rebate ($75 Cabelas + $75 S&W = $150) but their prices are crappy (usually close to full MSRP) so, you would get it close to regular price somewhere else. For example, per Cabelas website: Regular Price: $449.99 - $579.99 / Sale Price: $374.99 - $504.99

(They are doing a $50 rebate on the 380 bodyguard too)

Just an FYI.

#23 Goob469, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    rkazooti likes this.
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Have you been shot with either?

If not, you may not qualify to make that statement.

About five years ago, I purchased seven brand new Level IIA kevlar vests from a well-known (no surplus or 2nd-hand stuff) maker and conducted my own experiment. I tested the following calibers: .22 Magnum, .32, .380, 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, & .45ACP by having a trusted colleague discharge TWO successive rounds of each caliber on MY center mass from seven feet with a nurse and a physician present. I allowed about two months between tests. I placed a ceramic plate behind each vest. Upon advice from my personal physician (he refused to be there during the testing), I placed a 1-inch thick high-density memory foam behind the ceramic plate. I kept myself in top physical condition just before each test and I had a full physical with x-ray of my center mass after each test.

Twenty-two Magnum, .32, & .380 felt similar but there was enough of a difference. I will not use a .22 Magnum for defense. There was very little difference between .32 and .380 in the popular loadings. There was HUGE difference between the 95-grain 850 fps. 380 hollowpoint and the 115-grain, 1350 fps 9mm hollowpoint that I routinely carry. The 115-grain .38 Special hollowpoint that I also use (chronographed at 1350 fps) felt the same as the 9mm. The 230-grain 850 fps .45 hollowpoint felt LESS powerful than the 9mm and .38.

The 125-grain 1450 fps .357 Magnum hollowpoint felt MORE powerful than either the 9mm or .38. I felt shortness of breath, dizziness, and soreness on my ribs. My personal physician insisted on a thorough exam after the .357 test. I rested for about 10 days after that test and was examined by my physician each of those days.

The tests were risky for my health. The data is invaluable. No, I will not share it anymore than what I have stated above so please don't ask.

I've known others that have done this sort of testing with much more rigor because of the funding that was available to them. I funded this test out of my own pocket and the whole process was rather crude.

Sure, you can still call it bovine fecal matter between those calibers, or, for that matter, what I just divulged. This post will likely be the topic of criticism from every swinging Richard for years. My veracity and credibility WILL be challenged. I DON'T care. It's just conversation on a public internet forum in which we do not divulge our real names. I just know that MY decision to carry the loads (NOT the caliber) that I selected is based on first-hand testing in which I was an active participant.

McNasty and HardToHandle like this.
  5. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

To simply dismiss the difference between ".380 and 9mm" is to ignore the fact that the 9mm Parbellum cartridge is the recipient of an enormous amount of recent development. The efficacy of the modern 9mm high velocity loads using the latest bullet designs is far, far more than the modern .380.

Stutz and rkazooti like this.
  6. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I've read a few of your posts recently, and my initial reaction to almost every single one them was the poster is either an arrogant, self indulged, narcissistic blowhard, or someone who is completely full of you know what and a troll. This post takes the cake! I think the net outcome is 'blowhard, troll who's completely full of it!

First of all, an person with an IQ above the temperature of freezing water should ABSOLUTELY know personally taking a bullet in a "bulletproof" (really 'bullet resistant') vest, with them INSIDE the vest, is OFF-THE-SCALE STOOPID! So yes, you're right...your post will serve forever more (at least in my mind) as proof positive you are a moron! No, repeat NO, testing of bullet proof materials is EVER done on living human beings! NEVER...NONE! Period.

There are millions of sensors out there to measure acceleration, force and every other physical property a bullet can possess to render such a live test, on a real person, a fool's errand absolutely beyond comprehension! And no, I will not let this one pass!!! Not this one!! Further, there are materials readily available which simulate the mass, structure and physical properties of a human being 100% (read that again...100 PERCENT) as accurately as the real thing. Consequently, willingly volunteering to be SHOT, knowing full well all these things are available, serves no purpose other than to illustrate the incomprehensible stupidity of the person volunteering to do such an idiotic thing!!

Honestly, have you been drinking? Why would you post such a completely insane act? I'm thinking your ego got WAY out in front of your brain on this post! You sir...are NUTS! (clinically) And, I strongly advise you to seek professional help!

I don't care what your profession is; NO "professional" in any sense of the word would subject themselves, willingly, to such an act. If you were in law enforcement you would be TERMINATED IMMEDIATELY. If you were in science, you would be barred. If you were in firearms manufacture, you'd be fired! Period, end of discussion! There is absolutely NO excuse, NONE, for doing what you allege (and frankly I doubt you did anyway).

As for your "personal physician", he should be reprimanded and have his license reviewed by the governing medical board having jurisdiction...IF you actually have a personal physician (which I doubt). Why? If for no other reason, for not calling the authorities to take you into custody and placing you on '5150 Hold' (minimally) as a danger to both yourself and others!

Man, I don't think in my 54 years on this planet I've EVER read something so completely ridiculous, dangerous and outrageous. And, I write this not for your benefit, but for the safety of other more impressionable people who may read your post and think it's "cool" and try it themselves. God forbid!!

Please stop!! I implore you!

rosenjm4160, BubbaFett, Stutz and 6 others like this.
  7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

You had me at ...
    ;)

Carry on. It's just conversation.:rofl:

8. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

NO, it's NOT "just conversation"!! So don't try to play it off like it is!

It's a person posting about doing something completely mentally unstable, and posting it as if they have actually done such a thing. That's completely different!

In case it wasn't clear, I strongly suggest you go back and read what I posted. I further, honestly, suggest you seek professional help (seriously).

This is NOT a JOKE!

9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Thank you for your concern. How do you know if there is any truth in what I posted? Or, for that matter, what anyone has posted ON the internet.
    Conversation. That's all it is. Leisure activity. My posts don't harm anyone. Try not to take anything so seriously. If some part or any of my posts bother you in some way, talk it over with someone you care about and cares about you. Life is too short.

10. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

Your right I have never been shot by either! I live out in the sticks and am out almost daily training upland dogs mostly GSPs. I have shot more then my fair share of ground hogs, coons, possum, snappers and carp.. Be glad to let you inspect the hogs and I'm willing to bet you can't tell which was shot by what.

rkazooti likes this.
  11. Goob469

Goob469 Loaded Pockets

...And here I thought I was helping a fellow gun enthusiast choose his next gun.

BubbaFett and MCPOWoller like this.
  12. dhw46725

dhw46725 Loaded Pockets

Check out the Ruger lc9s. They run around $320 at Rural King here in Indiana. I've been carrying one when I don't wear enough to hide my Dan Wesson 15-2. The Ruger shoots great and accuracy is good for a compact 9mm. I bought aftermarket slip on finger groove grips because without the mag extender I couldn't hit the broad side of the barn because the grip is small and my bigger hands had a hard maintaining a good grip, the slipons made a huge difference and I am confident in hitting what I'm aiming at.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

rkazooti, jtg622 and MCPOWoller like this.
  13. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I would say "funny how things get high jacked on this forum" but at this point, there is nothing funny about it. Now it is just annoying.

rkazooti and Goob469 like this.
  14. JoeLiberty

JoeLiberty Loaded Pockets

All I can say is "Wow". Why did you do this? Were you testing the body armor, or you just wanted to know what it felt like to be shot?

15. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Hope that's not directed at me, but if it is...sorry. I feel it is all of our responsibility (as firearms owners) to call out asinine and dangerous behavior relating to firearms when we see it. Else it gives all gun owners a bad name. Even if it's just on the interwebz. People see this stuff and may try something as idiotic themselves.

I will stand down.

Stutz and treypulley like this.
  16. CL01

CL01 Loaded Pockets

Some VERY interesting posts. From the testing we've done (LE, & no humans were shot at), .380 & smaller just doesn't penetrate deep enough with good expansion consistently.

The Glock 43 & S&W Shields are not bad, but they aren't that small either. The Kahrs (CM9 & PM9) are very good. I've had both, along with a CW9 & P45. For me, they've ALL been reliable. Their triggers are smooth & not heavy, but they do not have a short reset like a Glock. They're like a lighter pull revolver. They are relatively thin & light. That would be my suggestion.

Having said that, I've carried (Off duty) a snub nose .38 revolver (S&W 442) & either a Kel-Tec P32 (.32 cal) or a P3AT (.380 cal) now & then.

sully likes this.
  17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Have you shot any of them with .380? I don't believe that you have. I bet that you have shot some with a 9mm-sized bullet, tho - as in .357 Magnum! I don't care about hogs. They don't shoot at you and what you likely typically carry to shoot at them is quit bit more powerful than the arms typically carried concealed as a means of self defense from attacks by humans. That I care about.

18. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Yes, testing body armor. It's not a first. At least one major maker has performed such experiments. I know of at least 6 others that have done it: all under strict controlled conditions. Not as "asinine" as seems - only to those that are not informed about it.

It only seems too outrageous to those first hearing about it.

19. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

You are. But what good is that new gun when you cannot gage the efficacy. The firearm is only one part of the overall equation.

20. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Please do so in the interest of gun ownership. Ownership is just that: OWNING them; NOT at all actually using them. Leave the actual research of how its usage in defensive applications to those BETTER-equipped to conduct them.

treypulley likes this.