1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need help choosing a new gun

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by FLbeachbum, Apr 14, 2017.

1. FLbeachbum

FLbeachbum Loaded Pockets

Ok here's the deal. I have a Colt pocket nine that I love. It's starting to get a little old and worn so I have decided to retire it from EDC. Problem is I can't find anything I really like within my budget to replace it with. I considered another Pocket Nine but the prices I've been seeing for them are almost twice what I paid for mine new. I like the look of the Kimber micro 9 and it seems to be the closest thing to the Pocket Nine but it also looks to cost about the same.

Ideally I would like to stay with 9mm. My home defense gun is 9mm and I don't want to have to buy ammo in several different sizes if I don't have to. But most of the truly pocket size pistols seem to be .380. I have heard some of the guys at work say .380 is almost useless, especially in the winter when people have several layers of thick clothes, and others say it's almost as good as 9mm.

So what is the truth about .380? Are there other similar 9mm pistols in size and function to the Pocket Nine that are in a more reasonable price range? If I have to go .380 what is your opinion of the new Taurus Spectrum? I haven't been able to find anybody around here that has them but they look like they would be comfortable to hold and are much closer to my price range.

jstert likes this.
  2. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

What about a Kel Tec PF9 or a Glock 43? I've heard mixed reviews on how effective.380 is as well. I sold my PF9 and bought a Ruger LCP and now regret it. But, a guy I know is a police/SWAT officer here in middle Tennessee and his off duty carry gun is a LCP so I'm thinking it can't be that bad?

3. FLbeachbum

I'm not familiar with the Kel Tec. I'll have to see if anybody here has one. I didn't like the way the Glock 43 felt in my hand. I have a 19 that is my home defense gun. Not crazy about the way it feels either but it was required where I worked several years ago so I had to learn to adjust to it. I wouldn't want to carry it every day.

Where in middle TN are you? My family is still in Cumberland county.

4. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Check out the Sig P938.

pjm106262 likes this.
  5. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

if you choose a pocket carry route, don't skimp on a holster....I'm one of the original 5000 permit applicants for Florida, and have been working my way down in size, finally settling on a pocket .380...I do have a G17 in the car, but have a low perception of threat, and I can shoot the G42 much more quickly and accurately than any other of the .380s I have... I'm just a kindly old retired teacher...I'm currently using a G42 in a Recluse Cargo pocket holster, typically carried in nylon fishing shorts...I don't normally have to worry about winter clothing, but there is the "upper A zone" shot option...this Recluse holster is designed for cargo pockets, and there are other models available... the slit allows you to grip the pistol while in your pocket...

[​IMG]

6. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Kel Tec is a company out of Cocoa, Florida. I think they get a bad rap myself. I never had any issues with my PF9. They are pretty light weight and tend to be snappy but I carried mine with just the belt clip and you would almost forget it is there. I'm not a huge Glock myself. But I understand they are made very well. If I am not carrying my Shield in 9mm then I tend to carry my LCP.

I am up north of Nashville in Montgomery County, right on the TN / KY border. Moved here from San Diego about 8 years ago and love it so far. You cant beat the cost of living that's for sure!

7. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Resurrected Colt Cobra---might want to make you buy a dif caliber.

8. treypulley

treypulley Loaded Pockets

Smith and Wesson Shield, I carry one and love it!

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

Wishoot likes this.
  9. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

First, remember the first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun with you.

Second, stop listening to the guys at work. A well placed shot from a .380 is going to make any aggressor think twice about pursuing you. My LCP slips easily into pockets with a Desantis Nemesis holster, it's easy to deploy quickly and with a bit of practice, surprisingly accurate.

Second, I've never found a 9mm that's truly pocketable. My S&W Shield is a great gun. It's been nothing but reliable, accurate and easy to carry. Now that S&W is offering a $75 rebate, they're more than a bargain. You're going to need some mighty big and deep pockets for it however. A thin kydex holster makes IWB carry very easy.

Joe McDoakes and treypulley like this.
  10. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

If you're looking for a pocket carry pistol, I strongly recommend the Ruger LCP, or the Kel-Tec (both in 380). Don't listen to the 380 haters, the new cartridge performs just fine (this, from a lifelong .45 guy even!) If you want something just a shade heavier (i.e. less felt recoil) you might check out the Berea Thunder 380 which is basically a Walther PPK clone (and actually better).

I actually keep an LCP with me always, I may carry a larger primary sometimes depending on where I'm going, but the LCP is always with me. The Kel-Tec grip was just too small for my meat hooks, but it works for many. Both are excellent in terms of reliability.

On a side note, even though I have a Berea Storm 9, I am actively thinking about getting the Thunder 380. I have beaten my Storm mercilessly and it has never malfunctioned even once. I've got pistols which cost 10x as much as a Bersa, and I'm totally impressed with them for both reliability and accuracy.

11. JoeLiberty

JoeLiberty Loaded Pockets

Check out Kahr's 9mm's. Similar size and manual of arms to what you are used to.
    [​IMG]

Glock19er likes this.
  12. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

+1 That is a pretty sweet gun

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

13. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

Best advice....go find a range that offers rentals and shoot as many different pocket .380's and 9's as you can in an hour and you will find one that works best for you.

Personally, I love my Glock 42, relatively inexpensive and hits the sweet spot on size, easy to conceal but big enough to keep the .380 from becoming snappy. Get some Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator .380 rounds and you are good to go.

nicknapp likes this.
  14. bakpackr

bakpackr Loaded Pockets

I carry a S&W Bodyguard .380 and am fairly impressed with the size, accuracy and overall function. The ballistics debate will always continue, I wouldn't want to take a .380 to the chest no matter how many jackets I was wearing.

15. FLbeachbum

Thanks. I appreciate everyone's replies. I will look into all the guns that have been recommended. I have not found a range in my area. If there is one here it is a big secret. Apparently most of the regular shooters around here either have connections with people who have access to the military ranges or they live out in the country and shoot on their own property.

I have seen the S&W Shield recommended in several threads and have no doubt it is a great gun. From looking at pictures of it though it looks very large, but it can be difficult to tell from pics sometimes. For those here that carry one, is it something that a female could easily conceal in a jeans pocket or IWB at roughly the 2 o'clock position?

When I get a chance I plan to take a drive a couple of counties over and see what the stores there have and if there is a range. At the very least I will get a chance to hold some other guns and get a feel for them.

Macgirl likes this.
  16. treypulley

treypulley Loaded Pockets

Most definitely concealable at 2 o'clock. I carry mine at 2 or 6 and it is extremely comfortable and its a great shooter.

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

17. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I think with 9mm you are given significant options regarding round performance as well as frame size.

The .380 is always going to be small, but given that consideration it's best for a "tag you're it" scenario or perhaps as a diversion. I have a LCP that I've never shot beyond 12 yards but can effectively fire and make accurate shots at that distance. I can't conceive a scenario in which I would use it beyond near/ point blank or as a diversion.

18. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

I know I already placed my vote for the Sig p938, but I just took my wife shopping for her first handgun today and she really liked the p938 and she kindof fell in love with the very similar Kimber Micro 9 Sapphire. If you're ok with a 1911 style manual of arms (single action, hammer fired, manual safety) they are awesome guns.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

19. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

A couple observations for the OP...

Had two separate Kahr pistols that felt great but ended up unreliable. Both went back to the factory for major failures, including a barrel disassembling. Lousy, lousy customer service twice. Never again.

Owned three Keltecs. One P-32 that has been stellar and I have been carrying as needed over a decade. One P-3AT and a PF-9 that also went back to the factory once each as they were early in each production line, never as solid nor trustworthy. Innovative design coupled with third world production. I put Taurus and Keltec in the same quality range... lowest tier.

Have had three Glocks in 9mm and .40 SW. They flat work. Those calibers are not pocket pistols, but the G42 is getting pretty close on a guy my size.

20. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

a) Ask those "guys at work" if they have actually had experience using a .380 cartridge on a human target or seen the result of that lightweight 9mm bullet in the .380 cartridge loading in autopsy records.

The daughter of a very good friend used a Beretta model 84 .380 during a felony stop. She discharged it 4 times at the center mass of a heavily clothed, healthy young man and failed to stop him. He still had enough strength that he beat her until she was unconscious. She carried a .357 magnum revolver for the remainder of her 30-year career.

b) That firearm has its design elements from the Vector CP1. Lets hope that it doesn't suffer the same fate as the CP1.

It is clearly "targeting" the female CCW market with its many color combinations. That market is the fastest-growing segment of the handgun market. Many men seeking an easier-to-carry firearm will also be attracted to this platform.

Recently-authorized CCW holders have driven makers to offer such diminutive platforms to those desiring something to carry. It's not a new concept. Your Pocket Nine is a solid example of the market demand.

This trend has become somewhat of a fashion statement; however, I won't fault anyone for choosing the caliber because the pistols available for this cartridge make it easier to conceal them. Just know that it is not the most effective at stopping an aggressor unless used at an arm's length for head shots.

#20 0dBm, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017