1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need flashlights for new house

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by bang_bang, Nov 9, 2018.

1. bang_bang

bang_bang Empty Pockets

i just bought a house on 20 acres in a rural area. It’s dark out here. I need some flashlights for around the house that can really light stuff up out there.

Maybe something with a flood type beam to light up a wide area and something that throws far. Olight X7 maybe?

2. Greenbean

Greenbean Loaded Pockets

Get you a Malkoff MD4 body with triad tail cap and a Neutral or Warm tint Hound Dog head.

High and low modes and made in America to boot!

You won’t be disappointed,

If size and carry weight are a concern then get the single 18650 Neutral HD he offers. It’s fantastic!

Of I was at home I’d post a pic .

#2 Greenbean, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    ScottB, Mumbojumboo and ZMZ67 like this.
  3. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

^That is a very good idea.

4. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

maybe head over to Budgetlightforum and have a read there. These guys know flashlights and don't mess around. you probably want something a lot brighter than your normal urban EDC light..

There are a ton of sick lights that are bright as a car light.. BLF q8, Emisar, ROT66.. ("soda can lights").

you want some 18650 at least. lot of output, long runtimes. question is how much do you want to pay and what is your preferred light color and emitter and what user interface do you want (4000-5000k is most pleasant to the human eye, lightcolors above are cooler, but appear brighter). There are thousands of good options today.

a good value for a budget 18650 light would be the convoy s2 or blf-a6/astrolux s1 (same light, different name, astrolux has option for shorter tubes for 18350 batteries). for something very pocketable and convenient charging maybe olight s1r baton.

or check the /flashlight subreddit.. here's a guy who has a nice collection of the really bright stuff:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/9vs3tn/peak_insanity_for_now/

Last edited by flux, Nov 10, 2018
    #4 flux, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  5. leathermaneod

leathermaneod Empty Pockets

Get a few rechargeable Streamlights. I have a Strion and it is great! When it comes to anything flashlight related, Streamlight is my go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I would suggest having both normal lights and headlamps or angle lights as well. My Zebralight H53c (1xAA) works quite well for doing outside tasks in the dark, but Zebralight also has brighter 18650 headlamps as well.

I like flashlights that have the option of running on both lithium ion batteries and on AAs. Right now I'm edcing a Klarus xt1a that can run on a 14500 with 1,000 lumens, but can also run on an AA.

I don't have any experience with these, but a couple of Klarus's more expensive 18650 lights include the xt11GT that can throw for over 1,000 ft and the xt12GT that can throw light for almost 2,000 feet. Both those lights can recharge the battery inside the flashlight, so you wouldn't need a separate charger for one of them.

7. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I prefer getting modified lights, many can be found online, I suggest a reputable one.

Candlepowerforum is a good place I've used to find good lights that are modded.

Every light you can think of, has been modded for your personal needs.

8. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

personally i like my thorfire, very cheap (18 USD) takes 18560 or cr123. feels of quality YMMV on the electronics.

9. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

I live on a farm and spend a lot of time out in the dark. I am a big ZebraLight fan. Have a SC52 in my pocket all the time. A SC63 that I find a little big for my pocket, so I keep it whatever vehicle I'm driving. But the best one, I just got in the mail Friday. A H602 flood headlamp. It's like walking around with the sun shining wherever you look.

10. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

hm, the one in your link is cool white, so it is not exactly like walking around with the sun. honestly, as someone who has a dozen flashlights now and can compare light tints, I advise any flashlight newbies who only want to buy one light to get something with a color temperature between 4000-5000K. This will be more close to warmer light like the sun, fire or inandascent light bulbs. it is more pleasant to the eye than cool white and you actually will feel good when you use it to light up a room a tent, read with it etc..

it is nice to light up things brightly, but a slightly warmer tint is much more pleasant and you will find yourself using your light in a lot more situations and the light won't feel "odd" or out of place.

11. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't care so much about kelvin degrees on high lumen lights. They throw far and light up everything.

If I'm checking a steak in the dark I definitely want hi cri.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mumbojumboo, Nov 12, 2018
    #11 Mumbojumboo, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  12. JLeePhoto

JLeePhoto Loaded Pockets

I’ve got a bunch of lights from Fenix, 4Sevens and Zebralight. Just got into Malkoff’s and doubt I’ll ever go back as long as Malkoff has a model that suits my needs.
    They’re ultra reliable, very simple for anyone to use, are incredibly battery efficient and have great beams.
    If I were starting fresh I’d start with a MD2/M61 Hi/Lo Head for general use, a HoundDog for the longer throw spotting tasks, and a MDC AA pocket light.

I’d also want a headlamp and I think that’s where the Zebralights rule.

Those and a set of rechargeable AA and 18650 batteries w/charger and you’d be set for a long long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk