1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need flashlight as CCW companion

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Interceptor, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Interceptor

Interceptor Empty Pockets

Recommend a Flashlight Checklist: (Don't worry about all the questions, just the ones you feel strongly about!) Please mark "x" inside the [ ] to indicate your choice.

1) Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?
    As title implies, I need a flashlight to go with my CCW, which is either a Glock 27 or a Taurus snub-nose.

2) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
    [x ] I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

3) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest!
    [ ] $1-15
    [ ] $15-30
    [X] $40-60
    [ ] $80-$120
    [ ] I have no limit!

PART B
    Length:
    [ ] 1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
    [X] 2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
    [ ] 4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

PART C
    Width:
    [X] I prefer a long narrow light.
    [ ] I prefer a short wide light.
    [ ] Doesn't matter.

5) What kind of "bulb".
    [X] LED - more rugged, unlikely to burn out in your lifetime, less accurate color rendition, in general less output but more efficient (longer runtimes)
    [ ] Incandescent - can be very bright, more accurate color rendition, burn out or can be damaged more easily, shorter runtimes, very noticeable dimming as batteries deplete
    [ ] HID - like new car headlights in color, very, very bright, can be had in lights as small as a Mag 2 D cell but generally larger spotlight sized lights, no dimming turns off when battery depletes
    [ ] Don't care, just want the best fit for my needs.

7) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
    [ ] I want to read a map, find a light switch/keyhole, or get around the house at w/o disturbing anyone. (5-10 lumens)
    [ ] I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
    [ ] I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
    [ ] I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
    [X ] I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

9) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries. Understand that runtime is a function of brightness and capacity of your batteries. If you want 6 hours you'll either have big batteries or dimmer light, they haven't made a setup yet that lights up like the sun, runs all night, and fits in your watch pocket.
    [ ] 20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
    [X] 60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
    [ ] 240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
    [ ] 360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

10) Durability: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.
    [ ] Not Important (A “night-stand” light.)
    [ ] Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
    [ ] Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
    [X] Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

11) Switch Type:
    [ ] I don't care.
    [ ] sliding switch (Stays on until slid back.)
    [X] clickie switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
    [ ] momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)
    [ ] rotating switch

12) Switch Location:
    [ ] I don't care.
    [ ] I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
    [X] I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
    [ ] I want a rotating head switch.
    [ ] I want a rotating end-cap switch.
    [ ] I want a remote control.

I left off all the criteria which was not very important to me. Just for background, my EDC light is a single CR 123 from Deal Extreme, and for $15, it's pretty good. However, for a CCW companion, I'd like something a bit different. Regarding the switch, I'd like a simple clickie with momentary function + constant on (that rules out the Surefire G2), and I deffinetely don't want more than one function. I like the light to be right around 3", which would work well with a Harris technique.

2. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

I have a nitcore extreme, although it is a tad higher than your price range ($88 from 4sevens including shipping) its 3¾" long, LED driven, runs @75mins to half brightness, tail mounted clickie that can be pressed not all the way for momentary-click it for constant on, runs on one cr123 battery, comes with a pocket clip and puts out roughly 190 lumens according to the manufacterer. For a fact it is a little brighter to my eyes than my G2 or executive2 from surefire. I'm sure other will give you better ideas, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to high end lights

3. Seiko

Seiko Empty Pockets

The SF G2 will accept other tail caps, and lamp assemblies. Think the clicky tail cap for it is the z58 (don't quote me on that) And as far as switching it over to LED, any p60 lamp replacement will work. But that is a bit above the price range you are looking for. G2 off ebay $36 tailcap $35ish p60 led from DX $12

Another few options would be
    Nitecore Extreme or Defender they have the fancy modes, but you can ignore all that and use it just like a clicky-momentary.

Jetbeam and fenix would also be some good options to look at.

Take a look here at Selfbuilt's list of flashlight reviews. Enough info to make your head spin, but tons of pictures so you get a better overall feel how you will like the light
    http://www.sliderule.ca/flashlight.htm

4. Bubba

Bubba Loaded Pockets

It doesn't meet all your requirements, but I carry a Surefire G2 with LED head as a CCW light. And I can't recommend it enough

It's a little big for pocket carry, but I carry it in a surefire hard plastic sheath on my belt, which is very easy to find and bring into action

I throw my G2 around all the time and it never stops working, IMO it is one of the toughest lights I've ecer used and I can rely on it being there when / if I need it

I carry another light in my pocket for everyday use

I don't like a constant on 'clicky' on a tactical light so the standard G2 temp switch is perfect for me.. but a clicky switch can be added easy enough

5. Seiko

Seiko Empty Pockets

I didnt even think of this one at first, but the new ICON Rogue 1 might be an option as well.
    Paul Kim (he designed 90% of surefires lineup) has started his own little off shoot company. I think the goal is to provide a lower priced alternative to say the surefire e2e.
    Want to say the price at battery junction is around $40

read about it here

6. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Try the Surefire 6PDL. It has a clickie.

7. Aaron SBT

Aaron SBT Empty Pockets

+1 on the Surefire G2/G3. They are relatively inexpensive. I like the G2 so much that I own a pair of them, (xenon bulb) and a G3.

8. Interceptor

Interceptor Empty Pockets

Thanks for all the replies.

There's a few reasons that disqualify the G2 for my purposes: I'd much rather have LED and a clickie (I know I can change the bulb and the tail cap, but that gets expensive), it has no pocket clip, and the head is bigger than the body, making it difficult to pull out of a pocket. Don't get me wrong, it's a great light for the money, just not right for my intended use.

The Nightcore Extreme looks more like what I'm looking for. Does it have different modes? If so, how are they accessed? I'd much rather have a single mode, but I could live with multi-mode depending on how they're accessed.

9. vipers

vipers Loaded Pockets

The extreme has two modes. One is max and on is a user defined lower level. You switch using the bezel. You could in effect use it as a single mode light by not playing with the bezel. The button doesn't change modes so you don't get surprised by suddenly ending up in the wrong mode because you turned it on and off too quickly.

Here's a review with a little bit more about the UI.

10. MarPsyco

MarPsyco Empty Pockets

The Nitecore Defender Infinity might also suit your needs. It's basically the AA brother of the Nitecore Extreme. The Nitecore Extreme is a bit brighter,wider and shorter while the Nitecore Defender infinity has cheaper cells.

11. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Loaded Pockets

Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet, Ill put in a plug for Fenix to give you something else to look at.

I carried a P2D for quite a while. Its currently been replaced by the Nitecore Ex10 R2, but sometimes I wonder if I don't like the Fenix UI a little better.

It seems like every time i use a light, I want either Full blast, or somewhere in the middle and it takes a little doing to get the Nitecore to produce "somewhere in the middle".

The Fenix LD20 has the following modes
    # General Mode: 9 lumens (71hrs) -> 47 lumens (13hrs) -> 94 lumens (5hrs) -> SOS
    # Turbo Mode: 180 lumens (2hrs) -> Strobe

and can be had for under 60 bucks including shipping online easily.

Its a 2xAA light that comes with its own Holster as well.

12. nice65

nice65 Loaded Pockets

13. _STL_15_

_STL_15_ Loaded Pockets

Fenix P3D is pretty close to what your wanting. It is what I carry most of time unless Im going all out with a fullsize Streamlight.

14. seeker_two

seeker_two Loaded Pockets

I think you're looking for something from the Inova line.....like the x5 that I carry. The switch is different than what you specified, but I find it very useful.

One thing to remember....in a dark situation, most lights will dazzle the person in front of you. Too much light will dazzle that person AND you too.... :idiot2:

Sometimes less is more.... ;D

15. skycaptain

skycaptain Loaded Pockets

16. bladenut87

bladenut87 Empty Pockets

i've been carrying a coleman Max Cr2 for about 3 months now i like it i has it all. momentary on and push alittle harder and it stays on. The battery's are high but how often do you use your deffense light? just my 2 pennys