1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on a couple knives and sharpening kit

Discussion in 'Knives' started by blip864, Jan 24, 2014.

1. blip864

blip864 Loaded Pockets

Hey I'm new to the forum, found the site while looking for a new edc bag. I have been looking for a couple a new knives. First, I want a new edc folder preferably in the 2 - 2.5" blade length, but also need a more heavy duty folder in the 3.5-4" range.

As far as sharpening goes I have always had a friend sharpen my knives but he moved out of state, so it's time to learn on my own. Can some one recommend a good sharpening kit that is not to complicated. The smaller knife that I will buy will be the one to learn with before I attempt to sharpen the bigger and more expensive knife so are there certain steels that are easier to sharpen to help me learn?

I have been looking at the spyderco cat g10 for the smaller knife and possibly a zt 0801, but am not set on either and open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks

2. Syclone

Syclone Loaded Pockets

Knives I would get. Spyderco Delica or Dragonfly in VG10 And Either a ZT 0550 or 561.

Kit would be a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

blip864 likes this.
  3. Foxwalk

Foxwalk Loaded Pockets

Good choices for blades. But I would highly recommended getting a cheap beater knife to try your hand at sharpening, speaking from experience. If you want a kit, go for the sharpmaker. If you want to free-hand, I use a Norton India stone with water, and finish the edge on a fine Spyderco ceramic stone. Both get very good results.

blip864 likes this.
  4. captain howdy

captain howdy Loaded Pockets

I would get a dragonfly on the small end but would not learn how to sharpen on it. Like foxwalk said find a beater. On the large end I have had an itch for a starmate.

Foxwalk likes this.
  5. fire-medic-911

fire-medic-911 Loaded Pockets

Delica. And a persistence or tenacious plain edge to beat and practice on the sharp maker. I just started sharpening as well. All my knives are razor blades now.

Foxwalk likes this.
  6. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

For a small knife I would go with something traditional, plus they are easy to learn to sharpen. For a larger knife I would go with something U.S.A. made just so I could feel good about it.

As for sharpening go for a couple stones and learn to free hand it really isn't hard to learn. My son has started learning and he is seven so it just takes a little patience. Never had a problem getting knives hair popping sharp with this method.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

blip864 likes this.
  7. Geary Mitchell
    • In Omnia Paratus

Geary Mitchell Loaded Pockets

Buy a Benchmade mini griptilian and a Spyderco Tenacious. You can buy the pair for around $100

8. blip864

blip864 Loaded Pockets

With the sharpmaker how long do the ceramic files last before needing to be replaced? I do like the dragonfly, is the VG10 a better steel than the 440c on the cat? The delica looks good but is a bit longer than I am looking for. Thanks for the advice

9. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Sage 2 is 3" which your ranges didn't cover, but I'd take it for the large any day of the week. Otherwise I'm in a Spydie Jason Breeden Rescue, but the Rescue really takes a certain type.

Smaller you can't go wrong with a Dragonfly or, even smaller, a ladybug. Stay away from the man bug unless you can really get your hands on one before buying.

Also pick up a small Douk-Douk (I'm telling everybody). Not only is it a fantastic in pocket slip joint with great high carbon steel, but it will be very forgiving to practice sharpening (and only run you $20 or so). A practice for sharpening is a great idea, but why buy a throwaway when there is a great, inexpensive knife you can get? Plus the first time you realize you could literally shave with it the next morning (and you can with a properly sharpened Douk -- I've done it) you'll be incredibly satisfied.

Sharpener, I will happily 3rd or 4th or whatever we are up to the sharpmaker. I've not replaced a file in the almost 3 years or so I've had my current one (I've another in storage somewhere or other). That being said, also pick up a stone or two and an angle guide, then, later, lose the guide. Ultimately, you want the sharpmaker for ease while you've got a batch of knives in front of the tv, but you need to be able to sharpen on stone, sidewalk, coffee mug, or whatever it is you have handy.

Oh, one more thing, if you are just learning to sharpen and go with a dragonfly (or any of the multiple steel choice options) do NOT get zdp or the blue steel sprint run or anything like -- stick with things like VG-10 to start.

Last edited by Cprrckwlf, Jan 25, 2014
    blip864 likes this.
  10. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

Welcome to EDCF, for beginner sharpener I would recommend the sharpmaker or a lansky.

blip864 likes this.
  11. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Both knives that you mentioned are fine knives. If those are the knives that you like then those are the knives you should get. As for sharpening I urge you to learn how to free hand sharpen. It is a skill that will be with you for the rest of your life. If you know how to sharpen freehand you can sharpen a knife just about anywhere and on anything , the sidewalk ,a brick , ect. ect. BTW while you are buying your knives do not forget to buy a Alox SAK !

blip864 likes this.
  12. Foxwalk

Foxwalk Loaded Pockets

The ceramic rods should last you a very long time, granted you don't drop them. VG10 is considered a better steel around these parts, but there is nothing wrong with 440C, especially what Spyderco does for their heat treat. VG10 takes a great edge and holds it longer than 440C, but on the flip side 440C is a bit easier to touch up and sharpen in my experience.

blip864 likes this.
  13. blip864

blip864 Loaded Pockets

Great idea for getting a beater knife, I will definitely do this.

I will go USA made for the larger knife but I'm going to hold off on it until I can find a place to put my hands on some of the ZTs and higher end spydercos.

I can't decide between the cat and dragonfly so will probably just get both and rotate them. I will also pick up a sharpmaker. As far stones go what is good to get. Can I go with one of the diamond stones or something else? Will a fine stone be good enough or do I also need a medium or something else? Sorry for all the questions complete noob with sharpening.

swany66675 likes this.
  14. captain howdy

captain howdy Loaded Pockets

Try out king waterstone one side 800 grit other 1200. Some what inexpensive and good grits to learn on

swany66675 likes this.
  15. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

The Spyderco Cat is a great little knife! I don't carry mine much anymore as I have too many to choose from! I can also highly recommend the Spyderco SharpMaker. It makes sharpening a breeze!

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk!

16. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I would recommend like others to learn free-hand sharpening but I prefer diamond stones I have a double sided (medium-extra fine) from a German company called Ro-Na since about 10 years now (or more) and it's sharpening like nearly new (when they are new they feel coarse a bit, but after that no big change). I also use them to sharpen my working knives and a kiridashi where a flat surface is important. The only knife I couldn't sharpen was my Higonokami. The blade is so hard that it always chips. Best would be to use a softer water stone, I decided to give it a second bevel - not traditional but still sharp as hell :)
    And for learning I'd get a knife made of 440C or 8Cr13MoV. Easy to sharpen, holds edge well enough for edc and is cheap to get (SRM 710 or lower-end SpyderCo, Kershaw, CRKT knives).

swany66675 likes this.