1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a Soft Shell

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by zenlunatic, Oct 6, 2010.

1. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

These look great...I might order one. Where did you find it for $80?

2. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

my bad. it was a cosmetic blemish sale. Backcountry.com has Small in the green for $83 and Sierratradingpost.com has M/L 2nd's for $89.

also, i wear a 42R blazer and the XL was -way- too big.

3. Eric

Eric Empty Pockets

Try the Eddie Bauer/ First Ascent gear, I have the First Ascent Frontpoint jacket and it is hard shell/ soft shell hybrid and is awesome. It is waterproof in the sleeve, shoulders and hood and then a nice and breathable soft shell. They do run a little small so going a size up might not be a bad idea, and you can return them to any Eddie Bauer if it does not work, so I have heard.

4. NaturalMystic

NaturalMystic Loaded Pockets

I'd also happily recommend Arc'teryx. I was looking for a soft shell for last winter and bought a The North Face Apex Bionic but it wasn't warm enough for winter. I went into a local sports apparel store and found the Arc'teryx Easyrider on sale for abour $200 Cdn (regularly $330 Cdn) and a Spyder ski jacket. It's the best softshell I've tried yet and the main winter coat/jacket I wore last winter. I live in Toronto, Canada and we get pretty cold winters here! The only time I wear a hard shell is when it snows or is very windy and I want to cover my head/ears. Then I'll wear my Columbia 3 in 1 (not Titanium style). Otherwise it keeps me quite comfortable with just a tanktop/sleeveless T as a base layer, and a T-shirt or long sleeve jersey mid-layer. I'll put it this way, I haven't worn the Spyder winter coat yet.

Arc'teryx Easyrider:
    [​IMG]

A wool option I'd like to try is the Cabela's Over-Under WindShear Zip-Front Sweater that was just on sale for $69US. It was mentioned in a recent thread I read and I heard nothing but good things about it.
    [​IMG]

5. myke

myke Loaded Pockets

I would love another Arcteryx easy rider, destroyed the one I had. Looks like they stopped making them though. Found a few sizes/colors on ebay but nothing in my size. If you can find one they are great, the thickest most insulated and most durable softshell I've tried out.

6. NaturalMystic

NaturalMystic Loaded Pockets

Yep I agree. I haven't found a warmer softshell yet. I was just checking the Arc'teryx site a few days ago and couldn't find the Easyrider either. That sucks if it was discontinued because it's definitely a great softshell.
    Another brand I was looking into a couple years ago but never bothered ordering from was Beyond Clothing like balrog mentioned higher up in this thread. I got them to send me their mini catalog/brochure with small swatches of the fabric they use in their various softshells but they don't seem as thick or possibly as warm as the Easyrider.

7. praharin

praharin Loaded Pockets

I think you might be missing the point of a softshell The less heat it holds in the more versatile it is. My TAD Stealth is fleece lined, and I would prefer that is wasn't. It's a great in the winter over a fleece hoodie or in cool weather, but I cannot wear it for half of the year, because it's too warm.

8. huntingbuddy

huntingbuddy Loaded Pockets

9. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

I just picked up one of the Carhartt soft shells on EBay and love it. Decent weight - not too light, and very warm. Mine is not the Detroit model - I think the only difference is the colllar (Detroit has a traditional fold down collar).