1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a small diameter AA light

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Wildcat14, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Wildcat14

Wildcat14 Loaded Pockets

I’m an HVAC service tech. I use my flashlight a lot. The one I currently pack to work is a Fenix LD09. I like that flashlight. However, I recently got a Skinth XL Shield hoping I could fit everything I carried in my current pouch in it because it was a fair amount smaller. I want to carry a Leatherman Surge, both bit kits, the saw/file sleeve, bit extender, and a flashlight in it. Everything along with the Fenix light, in a side tube, will fit. However, it’s crammed in so tight that it is a royal pain getting the light back in the sheath after using it. It’s also hard getting the Leatherman back in with flashlight in because one bit sleeve is in the main pouch with the Leatherman. I can live with the Leatherman being tight because since I have a tool bag with me all the time it doesn’t get used that much. However, the light being a pain will not work. I use it to much to wrestle with it every time I use it. I need something smaller if possible but still want a AA because I don’t want to be changing batteries everyday. I really would like to find something that would work with this pouch because there doesn’t seem to be one a little bigger, they’re all a lot bigger. Can any one recommend a smaller diameter AA light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Smallest AAs I found was a thrunite t10 which I own and an eagletac which was a tiny bit thinner - which I don't own.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Eagtac D25A is pretty thin too but about the same as the Thrunite and Jetbeam and I do have all three.

My Skinth has open side tubes which makes all the difference carrying a decent light in my experience and I could not make any Shield work with any light that I found adequate for my EDC.
    I have been carrying the Milwaukee 2aaa for a while now and love it but it won't fit in the closed end side pocket on a Shield probably either?

Here is the Milwaukee in the left tube,Thrunite in the right tube and Jetbeam to the right of that.

[​IMG]

4. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

The Acebeam M10 is the smallest diameter AA light I've found so far. I have a Thrunite T10 (2nd gen), T10T and a D25 Ti as well and the Acebeam is definitely the slimmest.

5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Have you looked at anything by Streamlight? I don't have anything using AA cells by Streamlight; I run with both the Streamlight Microstream (1x AAA) and the Streamlight Stylus Pro (2 x AAA). They both have a straightforward tail button single click operation. They also will be somewhat smaller in diameter than most AA lights. I first settled on these when I saw on these forums many users of these two lights, including some guys who worked in somewhat dirty/potentially abusive environments and said guys were happy with these.

Note also that Streamlight does now provide options for USB recharging on these and similar lights.

I don't use a Skinth, but I do use a Maxpedition single sheath and it also can have the light riding inside a side elastic. Either of these lights work well in this setup.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

6. Wildcat14

Wildcat14 Loaded Pockets

I haven’t really looked at any models yet. If I can get the run time out of an aaa light that would be great. I’m just not sure I can because I use one a lot. I also need one with a simple easy one hand on/off. I carry everything now in a maxpedition tc-5 pouch. It’s a lot bigger than I need for all the things. If I can’t get one to fit the Skinth I will stick with it.

7. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

How about just carry what you like and don't try to fit everything into a pouch. I presume you have pockets?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Kev2488 and neo71665 like this.
  8. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I say it all the time to the ultralight campers when they turn into bragging weight weenies. Carry what works and don't make sacrifices for size or weight.

As an electrician if I was an estimator or bidder I might drop down to a tiny light. Ain't any way I would want to do service work with one. I carry a multitool but at work it comes off my belt. It just gets in the way of my tool belt with real tools.

Kev2488 and A.B. like this.
  9. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

AAA lights are pretty good these days, can give a ton of output and have reasonable runtimes in medium mode usually.
    just to drop a few model names.. manker 02, lumintop tool AAA, astrolux a01, olight 13t eos, streamlight microstream all quite reliable AAA edc lights.

if you plan to get a thrunite t10 in the AA format, hurry up. it is a great light. But they just released a new version T10v2 with sideswitch, so the old one with tailswitch might be gone pretty soon. I think it is a fantastic light..

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I don't hear much about that light, how do you like yours?

I was thinking about picking up another single AA light and I'm debating on this or maybe one of the Thrunite offerings.

11. Wildcat14

Wildcat14 Loaded Pockets

Let’s see, left back pocket is wallet. Right back pocket is snap off knife. Front left usually has a pair of shoe covers. Front right-eye drops, lighter, 1/4 & 5/16 combo nut driver, Gerber utility knife, chapstick in winter. Right chest- waterproof notepad and tape rubber, left chest- fisher military pen, sharpie, pencil, small screw driver with valve core remover. What pocket do you suggest I put the Leatherman, bit kit, and light in?

12. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

So you really don't have space in one of your pockets for an LD09? Seriously? How big is your space pen? Do you really need another light just because it doesn't fit in your skinth? I'm a scaffolder by trade. My pocket dump: tobacco with lighter, wallet, mora companion, phone, keys. My tools of the trade go on a toolbelt. Maybe carry the MT in it's pouch and stuff the light in your front left?

13. Wildcat14

Wildcat14 Loaded Pockets

I never said I couldn’t stick it in a pocket somewhere. However, If I’m caring a pouch for a multi tool I might as well get one to carry both. I could put it in my left pocket but the thing is when I’m looking in a unit outside I’ll have to pull the shoe covers out, get the light out, stuff then back in, then do the whole thing again when I’m done. I want my light fast and easy. And if we are going to get down to what we “really need” then most of the posts on this forum would go away. I have got used to my light on my belt, I like it, and that’s where it’s going to stay. So I have two options, keep using the light and pouch I have for work now and not use the skinth, or get another light for work and use the skinth. I can always find a place for another flashlight. Not so much for a belt pouch. That’s why I wanted opinions on other lights.

14. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I did not hear you about space on your belt?

15. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Coming at the problem from other angles:
    • I'm assuming a 2x AAA light would be too tall? Lumintop IYP365 is nice, especially with a Nichia emitter.
    • Would a second belt holster (or pocket clip to belt, pocket clip to Skinth with the light outside it) carry solution be an option? (EDIT: Apologies - asked and answered)
    • Have you considered a micro USB rechargeable 10180 light?

16. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

MT in it's pouch and the light in it's pouch? Jeez, you should see my toolbelt. Estwing hammer, level, pouch, work knife, ratchet, tape measure...

17. Wildcat14

Wildcat14 Loaded Pockets

I haven’t looked at any rechargeables yet. If I went that route, I would need one that could take a regular battery in a have to case if possible.

18. Wildcat14

Wildcat14 Loaded Pockets

I could do that if I can find the pouch that came with the Fenix, if one did. I can’t remember if it did or not. I was just hoping to get everything in one small package that was just big enough but not to big.

19. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

I like it but it's not a light I use a lot. As far as I can tell it is basically an updated version of the L3 L11C with slightly different details. I haven't dropped mine so I don't know if that issue was fixed (the L10C & L11C tended to have a contact break off the PCB when dropped rendering them dead) but I haven't had any issues with it at all. The knurling is a little grippier than the older lights which can be a positive or negative depending on person preference. The big negative is the clip. The L11C had a fantastic screw on clip while the M10 has a clip-on one which is pretty crappy.

Below is a pic I posted somewhere a year or so ago. The M10 is third from the left. To it's right is a T10T & the regular T10. You can see the difference in diameter. The T10T is close but still a tiny bit thicker. It's an awesome light if you can find one. Unfortunately the current T10 has a side switch instead of a tail clicky and is much closer to their Neutron line than the previous T10s.

[​IMG]

-X3- did a pretty thorough review of the M10 over on BLF.

LINK

Nick4305 and Tallboyjim like this.
  20. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

This thread just got me thinking. For those with already too much on the belt or in pockets, who obviously need ready access to their light, has anyone heard of or tried a neck carry? Just seems to me that this could be something like a neck knife in terms of readiness. I realize the cylindrical form factor might lead to some issues of comfort; but other than when crawling in tight spaces on one's stomach maybe it would work?

Which also raises the possible use of head lamps I realize!

At least one curious mind would like to know! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David