1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a small backpack for my daughter

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Evil D, May 28, 2020.

1. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Hey folks, my daughter has a thing for these cheapo mini backpacks you find in the purse section of department stores. The problem is they're all made super cheap (even the pricey name brand stuff) and they keep falling apart or zippers screw up and I told her today that Dad has had enough of buying bags only to watch them fall apart so I've set out to find something that'll hold up.

Problem is, most things seem overly tactical and dude oriented, or they're a straight up purse so I'm hoping you more knowledgeable folks can help guide us. I believe the size range she's looking for is around 12x9 inches, definitely smaller than your typical Jansport classic.

2. zyntherius

zyntherius Loaded Pockets

FWIW..
    ETA purses by Rosetti.. Backpacks can be found on eBay, Poshmark etc..

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

#2 zyntherius, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
  3. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

tdosthp likes this.
  4. tdosthp

tdosthp Loaded Pockets

RED-FIVE likes this.
  5. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

RED-FIVE likes this.
  6. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Finding actual backpacks below 15L capacity is quite difficult, or has been for me. Seems everything smaller than that goes into sling-bag or purse territory. That Fjallraven Kanken Mini is the only backpack in that size range that I have seen, from a manufacturer I would trust to make quality, lasting items. Everything else is cheap Chinese garbage made from thin PVC-backed nylon.

While bigger than what she's looking for, I EDC a Maxpedition Riftpoint 15L pack and it's reasonably small. Might be a bit large for a smaller girl though; you didn't specify age or size. At over 4' tall my nephews could carry one comfortably. But it only comes in Black, Grey and Tan, so color options are certainly limited.

If she's dead-set on the sub-10L capacity and needs a variety of colors to choose from, you're probably not going to find better than that Kanken Mini.

7. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I have had great luck with Deuter backpacks and they have a few smaller ones, especially in their bike, compact and race lines. The Compact 10exp is actually a women’s fit that is 10l but also expands.

8. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Mountainsmith Day pack and get the strapette accessory for backpack conversion.

9. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

My daughter is starting kindergarten next year and we are probably going to get her a goruck kr1.

That Movie Guy and twin63 like this.
  10. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

Not sure the look is something a female would like, but the Oakley "bathroom sink" is on sale right now...

[​IMG]

We bought my son the "big kitchen sink" before he started his freshman year of college. He used it to carry his 17" Dell Precision laptop in for 3-1/2 years. And that thing is a BRICK. His backpack is now about 6 years old and he still uses it daily for work. The only flaw in it now is the material where it hits his lower back in worn through.

11. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the help folks, she went with the Kanken Mini and loves it.

RED-FIVE, zyntherius and SOS24 like this.
  12. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Very cool. But now the question is with all the available colors, what color did she get?

echo victor likes this.