1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

need a reliable refillable lighter, dont think it exists

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by mrpink, Aug 31, 2012.

1. mrpink

mrpink Banned

actually im gonna have to return, or get a warranty on the thunderbird...things a piece of junk, the hinge is not working right...sucks

2. mrpink

mrpink Banned

it turns out there are MANY that fit all my criteria. either way i bought a xikar pipeline. i will be getting some more pipe lighters as well. or the xikar EX.

3. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

The Pipeline reminds me of a lot of the classic butane lighters from the 1970s/1980s. One thing I liked about the EX was the adjustment for the flame was actually a thumbwheel and didn't require a small screwdriver, coin, or fingernail.

ATB,
    Sam

mrpink likes this.
  4. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Any decent tobacconist (not a cigarette store but a pipe and cigar shop) should have a rack of "soft flame" lighters. To get a reliable piezo lighter you're going to spend $20 to $50 and upward to whatever you can afford but it will come with a decent warranty, just be sure to keep the paperwork. The fuel is important too. Cheap fuels are full of gum and goo and will muck up even the best lighter. Use what the maker recomends or the best fuel you can otherwise find.

Edit: Just looked up that Xicar Pipeline. It's just like my Corona "Old Boy". Fantastic lighter though it can be a little fiddly at times and currently needs a new set of seals. Still works but leaks out in a day or so. It's around 30 years old so I guess I can't complain. Originally had a dark burl wood veneer on it but now has a flame grained maple finish.

Last edited by Kilted1, Sep 11, 2012
  5. Convoy

Convoy Loaded Pockets

I carry a Colibri Reload. It uses butane cartridges. I'm horrible at refilling butane lighters, and I used to forget to refill my Zippo.

6. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty sure my rather nice Colibri jetflame was ruined by cheap butane. I now buy clean butane for even my cheap jetflame lighters. For a long time I just assumed jet flames were temperamental by design, but I new believe the purity of the butane plays a big part in how well/long they'll work.

7. mrpink

mrpink Banned

yeah its supposedly a copy of that. i love the design.

i ordered one of these too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140705794710

even though theres a good chance it wont work im gonna get one of these too,

http://www.buylighters.com/Vector-KGM-Armor-Dual-Flame-Lighter_p_1373.html

im getting this for a good user too,

http://www.buylighters.com/Vector-KGM-Rapid-Dash-Soft-Flame-Butane-Pipe-Lighter_p_1368.html

8. Vaper

Vaper Banned

I did a review of the Xikar Pipeline for a pipe smoking audience. Slightly different emphasis for that audience than for edc users, but it might have some value here.

[​IMG]

Xikar Pipeline pipe lighter review

I’m hard on lighters. I don’t abuse them but I give them very heavy use, igniting them probably 100 times a day. Pipe lighters get more use than cigarette or cigar lighters because of the number of relights necessary—especially when, like me, you tend to take a puff or two then put the pipe down for a few minutes, requiring relights a couple of dozen times per bowl. So it’s important that a good pipe lighter be designed for comfort and longevity.

The Xikar lighter is built on the classic design of the Old Boy by Dunhill and Corona. It’s a good choice because that design has proven itself over many decades to be very reliable. It’s inevitable when assessing the quality of the Xikar that comparisons will be made to the classic Old Boy.

First, the Xikar is only about half or a third of the price of a Corona Old Boy, so that’s a big advantage. But it has problems. Knowing the exceptional quality of other Xikar products, I was surprised that the Xikar pipe lighter was disappointing.

I’ve been using the Xikar for a month now and will soon relegate it to the car or a drawer as a back up lighter rather than as a primary. There seem to be a number of design flaws resulting in unreliable lighting and generally small—but irritating—faults.

The Xikar has less weight and heft than a Corona. Nothing wrong with that—the Corona sometimes makes a shirt pocket sag with its weight. But there’s a good feel to that heft that the Xikar lacks. My Xikar rattled when it arrived due to the body not being tightened. There’s a screw at the bottom that was an easy fix to rectify that irritant, though. Still, it gave me an initial impression of secondary quality.

This lighter has a built in tamper, like the Corona, and has the added neat aesthetic of the Xikar logo on the tamper face. It’s very attractive. The tamper on the Corona has the capability of being used to adjust the flame at the adjustment screw on the bottom of the lighter. The Xikar tamper is the wrong size at the end and unable to fit in the slot of the adjustment screw, so a screwdriver must be found for adjusting the flame on the Xikar.

The Xikar has no screw-down cap over the butane valve on the bottom, as the Corona does. That’s certainly not an essential, and given the reduced cost of the Xikar it’s a fine compromise. One irritant found on the bottom of the Xikar, though, is that the flame adjustment screw is not recessed enough. When you open it enough for a moderate flame the screw protrudes from the bottom of the lighter, making the lighter rock when you place it upright on a surface.

Like the Corona, the Xikar tamper can be turned when halfway extended from the lighter so that it stops without going into the lighter body, making it useable as a tamper without removing it from the lighter. Whatever mechanism that permits this use sometimes wears out on the Corona. The Xikar feels different and I don’t think it will have similar problems, but only a couple of years of use will provide that answer.

The spring mechanism that holds pressure on the flint is inferior to the Corona’s. The first time I removed it the stopper at the end of the spring fell off. That has never happened on any of the many Coronas I’ve owned. It would be very frustrating to have lost that stopper and only luck kept it from happening to me the first time.

The flint wheel on the Xikar is uncomfortable. It has only about half the ridges found on the Corona flint wheel, so it irritates the thumb. It’s especially noticeable since the Xikar typically needs at least two strikes to light, whereas Coronas tend to light on the first strike.

Another irritating aspect of the Xikar is that the flame direction can rotate. The tube through which the butane is aimed will rotate on its own and a pair to tweezers or jeweler’s pliers is needed to realign the flame. That issue definitely needs to be addressed.

One aspect of the Xikar that I especially like is the spring mechanism for the top of the lighter—the arm that lifts for lighting. The Corona uses a metal spring along the side of the arm and it’s the weakest part of the Corona design. Those springs always become weak with use, giving the mechanism a spongy feel and permitting the butane to leak. With the Xikar, the spring is inside the post supporting the hinge for the arm and has the appearance and feel of being superior to the Corona’s engineering. Again, only time will prove if this supposition is correct, but at this point it certainly appears to be a vast improvement.

I understand that it’s unfair to compare the Xikar to a lighter that is 2-3 times more expensive. But even at such a dramatic savings, the Xikar will be a good value, in my opinion, only if the following changes are made:

• Recess the butane adjustment screw
    • Secure the flint stopper on the flint adjustment spring
    • Add more grooves to the flint wheel for comfort
    • Secure the flame directional tube
    • Figure out why the lighter tends to fail ignition on the first strike
    • Re-engineer the tip of the tamper so it can be used on the flame adjustment screw
    With these changes, and assuming the lighter holds up over time, the Xikar would represent an exceptional value for the price. Pipe smokers need good reliable lighters. Duponts and Dunhills are out of financial reach for average pipe guys. Coronas are the go-to lighter now for those seeking reliability, style and comfort, but at $90-$150 they’re difficult to justify for many. With a few design modifications, and considering its attractive price point, the Xikar pipe lighter has the potential to become one of the most popular lighters on the market for pipe enthusiasts. However, until modifications are made I could not in good conscience recommend it.

[​IMG]

mooshisho and Gnarly like this.
  9. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Impressive review!
    Thanx for posting.

10. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

I've got a couple xikar lighters and the quality is great especially for the price. But mine are torches for cigars. I am interested in the natural flame one though...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

11. Vaper

Vaper Banned

Xikar has truly excellent products. Their cigar torches are excellent and their cigar cutters are beyond excellent. But I think they're a little out of their element with pipe lighters.

12. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets