1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a recommendation

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by babarog, Oct 10, 2019 at 3:51 PM.

1. babarog

babarog Empty Pockets

1) Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?
    Lighting up sidewalks and keyholes while moving around city maybe some warehouse areas. Location Oslo/Bergen Norway

2) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
    [X] I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
    [If there is a shop in Norway] I am in Norway / Oslo.

3) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :broke:
    [X] I have no limit but would not like to waste money if not needed!

4) Format:
    PART A
    [X I want a flashlight that could be used as a bike light aswell.

PART B
    Length:
    [ ] 2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)

PART C
    Width:
    [ ] Doesn't matter.

PART D
    Weight:
    Lights of a similar size can be very different in weight and may turn the perfect sized light into a paper weight. In general a lights of the same size will stack up like this; plastic and aluminum will be your lighter choices brass, stainless steel, bronze will be heavier. I won't put numbers here because everyone has a different weight sensitivity. For the purposes of EDC specifically I'll limit the choices here to the more easily carried sizes pick 2 sizes to represent a range of weight.
    [X] Very light, can't tell it's there.
    [X] Medium, slightly heavier than a AA MiniMag

5) What kind of "bulb".
    [X] Don't care, just want the best fit for my needs. HID preferably

6) What batteries do you want to use?
    Dont care. Whats the most acessible system

7) How much light do you want?
    [X] I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
    [X] I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
    [X] I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

8) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an “X” on the line below. Sometimes a flood is better particularly closer up or indoors. You won't have to "sweep" the light back and forth to see what you need to see. You can also just set it down pointing the general direction rather having to point it right at that which you are working.
    X Flood/close-up

9) Runtime:
    [ ] 60-240 min. (1-2 hours)

10) Durability: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.
    [X] Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.) MUST BE WATERPROOF

11) Switch Type:
    [ ] sliding switch (Stays on until slid back.)
    [ ] clickie switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)

12) Switch Location:
    [X] I don't care.

13) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
    [X] A simple on-off is fine for me.

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?
    [X] I don't care.

15) Special Needs:
    [ ] Red (night vision preserving) filter / could be nice but not nececery
    [X] Waterproof – how deep: 50-100m
    [X] Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish

2. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

@babarog

Fellow Norwegian, for just the occasional need to find your way around in the dark, I can't recommend a simple AAA light enough. They disappear in the pocket, yet you can find very potent little lights with 100+ lumens and high CRI emitters.

I haven't tried a ton of different AAA lights, but I'am quite satisfied with all the ones I have from Maratac, Lumintop, Olight and Drop. I tend to gravitate towards Hi CRI / Nichia flaslights and the ones with cooler color temperatures sees very little use after a while.

CountyComm / Maratac ships to Norway now, and if my last order is anything to go by, they make very creative customs labels (to your advantage), so you could now get something like this at an acceptable price:
    https://countycomm.com/collections/aaa-flashlights/products/aluminium-anodized-aaa-flashlight-by-maratac-rev-3

Drop.com generally has some of the lowest shipping fees to Norway, so if you find something there, you could get away with a very acceptable total cost.
    This one is in their in-stock products, that you can buy at any time:
    https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-aluminum-aaa-flashlight
    I have the brass version:
    https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-brass-aaa-pocket-flashlight/details#details

There is also a bunch of small USB rechargeable lights out there. I don't have any, but the Rovyvon Aurora is one I have considered many times.
    It comes in many configurations, but for me, the titanium version would be hard to resist if I was getting one:
    https://www.rovyvon.com/products/a4?variant=19515899773031

Good luck

babarog likes this.
  3. sonderdienste

sonderdienste Loaded Pockets

I carry an EagTac D25A Clicky Mk II all the time. It virtually disappears in my jeans' front pocket but is always ready. Can't recommend it enough. :)

At first I ran it on AA Eneloops but when I found some good quality 14500 Li-Ion cells that fit in diameter, I switched to those because they give you much more light. I keep the light's head screwed tight which basically gives you simple on/off operation, just what I need for 99% of applications.

I've EDC'd RCR123 and 18650 lights in belt holsters and in-pocket but the D25A just has the right shape so you forget it's there, while still providing significantly more power than an AAA light.

Another feature that made me select this specific AA light is the permanently attached pocket clip, none of that snap-on rubbish. :D

Oh and I got the Nichia high-CRI version. A little less lumens than the other options but I love the natural tint.

Edit: While looking at the Massdrop AAA light, I noticed another reason my D25A disappears so neatly inside a pocket is the "deep carry" type clip.

babarog likes this.
  4. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

There are lots of lights that will meet your desired characteristics.

For convenience with batteries, a AA is probably your best bet, although AAA would also work. The EagleTac D25a is a good light. I also like Fenix LD12 which is a little bigger.

For bicycle riding aspect, unless this is your primary use, I would look for a flashlight you like then purchase a adjustable bracket for bicycle use such as a silicone band
    [​IMG]

babarog, twin63 and dml24 like this.