1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a recommendation for a EDC sling bag

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Rollo, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Rollo

Rollo Loaded Pockets

Hey all!

I am trying to downsize from a large backpack to a smaller crossbody sling style bag (not a messenger) for EDC and travel. All the sling bags I have been finding seem to be cheap Chinese garbage so I am turning to you folks. I realize that some of the things I am looking for are counter to each other and also that I wont be able to get EVERYTHING I want but I am hoping you guys will be able to help me narrow the options down with some quality choices.

Must be able fit a 13 inch Macbook Pro preferably in a padded compartment. Would be awesome if it also had a padded tablet sleeve to fit a 9.7 iPad pro.

Should be as small as possible

Must be comfortable to carry for long periods of time. Hoping for a padded shoulder strap and padded back.

Would love for it to be waterproof

Would like some sort of anti theft pocket to carry things like passports for international travel

Must have an external water bottle pocket. Would be awesome if it has second pocket for an umbrella.

Should not look "tactical" or stand out. I would like to go for a professional or business casual vibe if possible. Grey would be my preferred color.

Should be as light weight as possible lightweight

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

2. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

Hi,
    The Shift urban sling pack from 3VGear seems to fit your requirements very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Rollo

Rollo Loaded Pockets

Thank you for the suggestion! That bag is about the same save as my Covrt18. I would like to downsize if at all possible.

4. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I picked up a sling pack - cheapish maxped clone. But with any kind of weight in it, it needs that little side strap. When I looked around, most tactical looking sling packs have that second little strap, which means I’m using two straps like a backpack so I might as well just use a backpack. It’s a shame because I quite like the layout.

Pacsafe do one that might be a true single strap but I’d doubt it would take laptop - but it’s got loads of security features and would take a tablet.

One other thing I found. On the 3v gear sling (which looks nice) the model has the strap just about over his well defined pec. Mine sits under, then sort of accentuates my moob and I’m not THAT heavy.

Not a nice mental picture I’m painting but fore warned is fore armed.

5. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

Maxpedition Entity Tech Sling. That's the only one I've found that may work for you. As someone that has gone through MANY sling bags to find the right one allow me to share some things. Main problem with a sling bag as previously mentioned is that they are uncomfortable if loaded down. Doesn't matter the strap or config, if it's heavy it will suck to carry. Most non-tactical ones will only fit up to an iPad because of this. You add a laptop to your gear with the accompanying paraphernalia and it just gets too heavy. Sling bags like the 5.11 Select Carry aren't really popular outside of a certain niche because you can really fill them up until they become a pain to haul around.
    I would look for a smaller backpack style like from Pac-Safe, but if you're dead set on a sling check out that Maxped tech.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

6. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Pacsafe cross body

7. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

I really don't know about all this business with sling packs being a pain to carry when full, I've been using a rush messenger and a moab 6(everybody who complains about this bag is carrying it wrong) to carry tools to work and as weekend bags and they get pretty weighty but are never hard to keep shouldered.
    I have two to recommend from 511 first is the UCR sling pack
    the size seems right and it comes in grey.
    Main Compartment - 8.5" H x 16.5" L x 6." W
    Total Capacity - 842 Cubic Inches / 13.7 liters

next up is the LV10 13l, this is the one I am eyeballing for my next bag it comes in black, blue and a color they call "tarmac" for some reason. it seems to be a bit taller as well to fit a laptop better.
    Main Compartment - 10.5”H x 16.25”W x 5.7”D
    Total Capacity - 793 cubic inches / 13 liters

8. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

words of wisdom.. carry your passport on your person!

Lots of t-shirt/underwear options

9. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

Plan B from Hazard 4 is a great sling bag you can spin around to the front and have it horizontal to get at contents. However, I agree with others - passport on your body at all times (as well as cash in local and US currency).