1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a Pen like the Pentel Sharp Kerry

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Kombi, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Kombi

Kombi Loaded Pockets

I bought a Pentel Sharp Kerry recently because I was looking for a nice mechanical pencil that wasn't expensive. So far, it's fit the bill perfectly, although perhaps a bit too perfectly. Because now I want a pen in the same style and curiously Pentel doesn't seem to have an answer.

So I was hoping to get some ideas from those who've delved deeper into the writing instrument world.
    • Conforming to the same general style as the Kerry.
    • Not a fountain pen.
    • Cap snaps firmly to the body when removed.
    • Costs less than $50 (would have to be extremely compelling to spend more).
    • Would be nice if it could fit pressurized ink cartridges.

2. Merrib64

Merrib64 Loaded Pockets

Give the Zebra 701's a try.

3. Kombi

Kombi Loaded Pockets

That one is definitely on my list, but I'm looking for something that is closer in appearance to the Kerry.

4. Kombi

Kombi Loaded Pockets

Okay, I'm being too specific.

Here's my new criteria.
    1. Capped Pen
    2. Not a fountain pen
    3. Cap snaps firmly to pen for the purposes of writing (that is, the cap isn't just an accessory, it completes the writing instrument).
    Any ideas would be grand. :D

5. Lightleak

Lightleak Loaded Pockets

The only one I can think of at the moment would be the Titaner Pen.

6. Scott Mason

Scott Mason Loaded Pockets

7. Kombi

Kombi Loaded Pockets

Interesting, that's along the lines I was looking. Your link did turn up the Ohto Tasche which is tempting.

8. Scott Mason

Scott Mason Loaded Pockets

Yes Jetpens is a fun site to wander around in.

Syclone1436 likes this.
  9. Syclone

Syclone Loaded Pockets

Where is Mooshisho when you need her???:D

SAKplumber likes this.
  10. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Like that JetPens site!

About 3 times a year, I log on there & buy more of the lil Tombow Pfit pens.
    Too small for regular writing duties with bunged up paws, but they clip onto everything.

And seeing that mechanical pencil of yours is the first time I've lusted for one since high school days!

11. Kombi

Kombi Loaded Pockets

It's a really nice pencil and for the price I feel like it's quite a remarkable value. Plus, there's something about the way it clicks when you snap the cap on.

That this pencil has existed since 1971 in this form is pretty neat as well.

Gnarly likes this.
  12. Kueh

Kueh Loaded Pockets

The form hasn't changed but the lead end-cap has changed. It no longer includes a cleaning wire.

As for a matching pen, it's going to be hard. I found that the Tombow Airpress pens write on pretty much everywhere you need to write.

13. Kombi

Kombi Loaded Pockets

I actually ended up getting a Retro 1951 Tornado pen that I really like. Although after an incident with not retracting the nib and staining a perfectly good sport shirt, I'm rethinking that style of pen.

SAKplumber likes this.
  14. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Yep, I've done that with my Retro51 with the roller/gell refill. Luckily the Schmidt/Retro blue roller ink actually washed out..which I was surprised of as its quite water resistant on paper. The Retro 51s actually come with a little piece of paper saying the roller point will do this. I imagine the black may be more permanent..

I don't blame the pen, rather the gel/roller type refills..if left extended in any pen then will weep. I have left the Easyflow 9000 refills extended in my shirt pocket and have gotten both a small stain or none at all. ..it comes out but can take several washings..they don't suddenly empty on one's shirt like a gel or roller.

This occasionally happens to me when I'm in hurry...in general I remember to retract the tip. It happens more often on
    push button/clickys than on the Twist type or bolt action.... in general the Tornadoes are less prone to extending in one's pocket
    than many a pen.

15. Kombi

Kombi Loaded Pockets

I definitely don't blame the pen, it was a dumb mistake on my part. I haven't been able to get the stain out completely, but I've had some luck with Oxyclean so I'll try more with that.

The cap is just a little more "fool proof" for me.

16. Kueh

Kueh Loaded Pockets

This is my current pair. [​IMG]

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4

bigfoot and foxmo like this.
  17. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I had one of these Kerry pencils, in red, back in 1984.........1985? Loved it, but then ended up losing it :-(. It'd be fun to have one again, with an apprpriate matching pen.

Good luck with your search!

18. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I remember the cleaning wire! Does anyone make a mechanical pencil that has one, any more? It was perfect for unclogging the fixed sleeve of my mechanical pencils.

19. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

My Staedtlers came with those (even the cheap plastic one). So did all my Pilot s10s. None of my other pencils came with the cleaning wire.

In all these years I've never actually had to use a cleaning wire, but I do appreciate it when one is included.

--flatline