1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a notebook/organizer recommendation for a conference

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Chimay, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

I'm heading to a technology conference at the end of February. It's been so long since I've had to take notes and be mobile that I don't really have anything suitable.

For my day to day, I use a Leuchtturm 1917 Notebook A5 Hardcover Dotted Medium Black with a double pen quiver attached for organization/tasks roughly using the bullet journal system. Then I take notes either in MS Note or on a notepad. I scan the notes to PDF and then file them away. I don't want to take my main notebook in case I loose it. And working off of a notepad/legal pad probably won't work at the conference. I do have a Surface Pro 3 for work, but I'm not sure that the battery will last if I take notes on it and still be available for work use between seminars/shows etc all day.

So I'm looking for something with a rigid back incase I have to write in my lap or while standing. Maybe something spiral bound or that I can other wise open so the covers touch and comfortably write on both sides of a piece of paper. Ideally I'd like it to have a folder/pocket to put materials/handouts in which I could then transfer to something else at the end of the day. I'll probably be getting a ton of business cards so something I could slip those into would be handy. I'd like to be able to attach a pen to it so I can cut down on what I'll have to get in and out of my bag.

I'm not too picky on paper, I figure I'll make a day planner in the first few pages to cut down on cluttering up the calendar on my phone. Then I'll copy in my tasks from my main note book and have a few pages to track those and new tasks (I figure I'll have to do some work or at least not let any work slip by while I'm there) and then copy those back into my notebook when I get home. Then use the rest of the pages for notes.

I figure I could get a notebook cover, if I can find one that will take a hard backed notebook or is rigid itself. I don't want anything over the top either tactical/tacticool or high end (fancy leather etc) as I don't want to stand out or spend a ton of money on something I may only use occasionally.

Any ideas/recommendations?

2. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Take a look at storage clipboards... I used to love this one for work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chimay likes this.
  3. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

I hadn't thought about a storage clip board. That may work.

The seemingly best/cheapest notebook option I've found so far is the Mead Black 'n Red business notebook hard bound 2 wire. I'd need to get a quiver for that size or see if the spiral binding is big enough to slip a pen into.

4. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

Check out the staples arc system, very obscure but pretty awesome. I use mine daily for college and love it.

Rizzle O likes this.
  5. Rizzle O

Rizzle O Loaded Pockets

Agree. I used this when I ran a hotel.

Sent from my HTC Desire 625 using Tapatalk

6. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

If it's just for a conference, grab a cheap journal from a book store or wherever they happen to be sold in your area. Hardcover, no worry about pages falling out, small enough to fit in your jacket pocket.

Don't invest in a "system" unless you plan to use it for more than just a couple of days.

adnj likes this.
  7. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

I actually already have the arc. I use it for major projects pretty much exclusively. Have the hole punch for it and everything. Pretty expensive system to buy into but it's done well.

8. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

Yeah I'm thinking the black and red book is probably what I'll be going with. Will probably order from the big river unless the store near my house actually has one and is about the same price. Would like to check it out before I buy it even though it's fairy reasonably priced.

I'm not a big fan of pocket sized notebooks except for quick/short notes and lists.

9. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I've got 3 Black and Red A5 journals from when they were $3 online. They're good, but I actually prefer the Picadilly journals because they're slightly smaller, have 6mm spaced lines instead of 8mm, and have an elastic band that holds the journal closed (and conveniently holds a shortish pen or pencil).

10. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure if I've seen those. I'll take a look at them. Thanks for the info.

11. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

They're available from the only large bookstore chain (franchise?) in the US for about $7 in a variety of colors (black, red, pink, blue, plaid). Usually on the endcap of the "bargain books" section and not the actual journal section.

But really, you can't go wrong with Black and Red either. I love them when I'm playing with my fountain pens since the paper is nice and white so my colored inks look beautiful. The Picadilly journal has cream colored paper, so the fountain pen inks don't look as nice.

12. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I really like a journal. I keep them for years after they are filled up. Leather bound and in 5x8 inches is what I use.

13. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Duplicate

14. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Duplicate

15. Barchack

Barchack Loaded Pockets

Take it from someone who uses a storage clipboard every day - Don't. They are awful for anything other than carrying your documents from one hard surface to another. I have a light, thin clipboard and a thicker one for most of my mandatory forms and I would not use them to write anywhere other than a hard surface.
    There is a reason that reporters notebooks are such a popular style. They flat-out work. If you're going to be moving around and taking notes, the reporters notebook is spectacular. I keep mine binder-clipped to the page I'm on. I'd recommend a folder or envelope in a bag for handouts and business cards. The reporters notebook can then go in the bag, or in your back pocket.
    I am a big fan of index cards, and I carry them everywhere for notes. At work, names, DOBs and other scratch notes go on index cards, and criminal case notes all go in the reporters notebook. It took years to dial in this system, and I love it.

16. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I carry a journal with me through the day and capture anything interesting along the way. Then at the end of the day (or the next morning), I look at the day's notes and transfer anything that may have long term value into my ARC notebook (yes, I bought into that system...works great, actually. Gave up making my own paper and just buy their graph paper refills bulk whenever I start to run low. Great paper for fountain pens).

17. MikeFromGermany

MikeFromGermany Loaded Pockets

Hey Chimay,

why not have a second Leuchtturm notebook for conference use only?
    Use the amount of pages you need this time, scan and PDF afterwards. Then put the notebook into the office drawer and leave it there waiting for the next conference.

They even have this nifty index at the beginning of the notebook. There you can note down which conference / meeting can be found on which page(s).

Just my 2 cents.

18. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

I don't think they make a spiral bound version or a version that can fold completely open (covers touching). I'd like to be able to hold in one hand and write if I need to incase I'm not at a table to write.

Otherwise I'd probably go that route, I love the index, the paper, the pre numbered pages. I use the grid paper so I can draw out network plans and have more lines per page than the lined. I can also have a line for each day of the month on one page for key due dates or meetings, then on the opposite page is where I start my running tasks for the month. Makes for a very quick glance to see what should be on my radar etc. Then there's still more lines for monthly recurring tasks, reports, etc. on the "calendar" page. The next page is the first work day of the month, I put tasks I need to do that day at the top and then keep up with what I did or found out that day. At the end of the day I review the quick glance page, monthly running tasks, and the page for the day to figure out what I need to start the next day with.

Then the index is January '16 and the page ranges where January is. Then key project pages or reference pages marked in the index as well.