1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a new light for work

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Outbound, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

So my Fenix E12 finally quit on me. Not bad for 2 or 3 years in the welding trade. I'm looking to replace it now with something new so I'm open to suggestions. The E12 was ok, but the modes (dim, brighter, brightest, strobe) pissed me off.

Here's what I need

- Pocket sized. A pocket clip would be nice
    - Slim body
    - AA batteries
    - LED
    - On and off. No different modes
    - Bright enough to be seen from Mars
    - extremely rugged; this will be used in the welding trade every single day. It will be dropped, kicked, possibly thrown and probably burnt.
    - Available from a Canadian retailer, or on Amazon.ca
    - Sub $50 CAD.

2. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

The E12 doesn't have a strobe. Different Fenix model, maybe?

The low/medium/high sequence is pretty common, but as an alternative maybe a Lumintop Tool AA?

3. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

You're right, it didn't have strobe. I can't stand the low/med/high sequence. When I need light, I need full power right away. I'll check out the Lumintop.

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

You might look at the Streamlight ProTac lights?

The only thing I really like about them is that you can easily set the light up anytime to be just a single mode light!
    They have one that will use either an AA or 123 battery and with nothing special to do so except load the battery into the light so you can go with AA for simple availability or 123 for better output as needed or practical.

Mine has been pretty reliable too.

On the other hand Mars is pretty far away so.....

Otherwise it is tough these days to find simple single mode lights for some reason?

Outbound, twin63 and echo victor like this.
  5. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

Thrunite Archer 1A v3 - While it is a multi-mode light it has two switches which allow it to be used as a simple on/off. You can set the forward switch to whichever mode you choose & then the tail switch can be used to turn it on and off in that mode only.

Outbound likes this.
  6. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

When you said single mode and tough, the first thing that came to mind was surefire's g2x tactical. Unfortunately, you'd have to pay more than what you want and deal with CR123 batteries.

The one light I have experience with that might be good for you is the Nitecore Multitask series. I have the MT2A which is a long, slim 2xAA light, but there are other options in the series including 1xAA. With the head loosened, it has a bunch of modes, but with the head tightened, all you get is 345 lumens with a momentary switch. The MT2A is a great poor man's tactical flashlight and can usually be found for $40 US.

twin63 likes this.
  7. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I’ll second this suggestion. The Protac 1L-1AA that EZDog mentioned meets all your criteria, although I wouldn’t say it’s a slim light, at least not compared to the E12.

Something to note with the 1L-1AA: Output is 350 lumens with a CR123 cell, but only 150 lumens with AA. Runtime is 1.3 hours on high. Not too bad for alkaline cells.

My only issue with the 1L-1AA is that there isn’t any knurling. I’m sure this is meant to keep production costs down. Not sure if this would be a problem for you in an industrial environment, but you could wrap some textured tape around the body to help with grip.

Outbound likes this.
  8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

E12 and ProTac and Malkoff MDC also in AA

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 EZDog, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Outbound and twin63 like this.
  9. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

10. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check them out. The Streamlight Protac sounds like it may fit the bill, especially if I can program it to simple on/off.

twin63 likes this.
  11. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Streamlight Jr.

On/off. Nothing more.
    2xAA
    220 Lumen