1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a new Keychain USB Drive!

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by MJGEGB, Sep 2, 2013.

1. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

This morning to my horror my trusty Verbatim tuff-n-tiny 32GB started to give me grief. Just as I was getting ready to email my teacher my assignment my computer would not recognize the drive. I tried it on two additional computers and the same thing they acted like nothing had been plugged in at all. After a panic attach a freak out and a few prayers I played with the drive in the USB port and got my PC to recognize it. Obviously there is an issue with the connectors on the drive and so I'm in a search for a replacement. Do I get another tuff-n-tiny or is there something better. I like the 32GB of space and would rather gain space than lose it. I like the low profile and tiny form factor and would like to keep that as well though an improved attachment point would be a plus. USB 3 support would also be cool and ruggedness as well I tend to use and abuse the little bugger so that is important. So bring on the recommendations.

[​IMG]

How the keychain sits currently minus the light which resides in my pocket sheath presently.

2. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

I have a Transcend JetFlash (http://www.amazon.com/TRANSCEND-16GB-USB-DRIVE-SILVER/dp/B0087Z477C) that I have been carrying almost daily since end of last year and it has been working without problems so far! But be careful with recommendations like that. When you look around you find reviews for almost any kind of USB drive (small/large, cheap/expensive) that say it works perfectly for some and for others it died shortly after they bought it. It seems like smaller ones suffer faster from overheating than big ones (mine is getting really hot but it did not seem to mind so far).
    As backup I got the Kingston Datatraveler (http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-DataTraveler-DTSE9H-32GBZ/dp/B00B4G2YXA) which is a bit bigger and I find the big hole for keychain attachment not so practical but the Kingston USB drives seem to have a pretty good reputation.
    I was also looking at small 3.0 drives a few months ago and came to the conclusion that the small ones are crap. PQI brought out a tiny one but the speed tests were slower than most decent 2.0 drives. I am not a fan of USB drives with a cap and I didn't want anything too chunky on my keychain so I stayed with my 2.0 drives. I recently saw the Patriot Spark 3.0 (http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Spark-Flash-Drive-PSF32GSPK3USB/dp/B00E4JUC4M) which is also really small and the speed the indicate looks more reasonable. But I haven't seen any helpful reviews and I somehow remember hearing mixed things about other USB drives from that company.

The most important thing is to treat USB drives as short-term back-up drives and to move things from A to B but not as long-term storage for vital information. I have started to use Google drive more and more but I still use my USB drive almost daily. They can and eventually will die on you, you just have to make sure it won't be a catastrophe when it happens.

MJGEGB likes this.
  3. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Almost on topic: I still have the first USB flash drive I ever bought. Little pink thing, 16 mb, bought it for $20. Still works, 14 years later.

MJGEGB likes this.
  4. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

You are fortunate that it did not fail catastrophically. I've had that happen - got a little flash of light.

Make sure you back up the stuff that matters. Thumb drives are cheap enough now. Get two, and back up daily. Use toucan or another freeware backup utility. BTW I like Kingston or SanDisk. A bit more pricey, buy rock solid so far.

MJGEGB likes this.
  5. ErikM

ErikM Loaded Pockets

I've got a Kingston DTSE9, does the trick although it's a little slow compared to other (bigger) flash drives..

[​IMG]

ZephyrMT and MJGEGB like this.
  6. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

+1 as erikM above; being made of steel, i add that sometime it's quite "hot", that's my cent.

MJGEGB likes this.
  7. Bobby Pin Ninja

Bobby Pin Ninja Loaded Pockets

MJGEGB likes this.
  8. Plutian

Plutian Loaded Pockets

I use a sandisk cruzer fit. The really small one with full size USB connector. I love it but I am always worried that the cover might come off and get lost, not happened yet but who knows.

MJGEGB likes this.
  9. Echo2

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

This works pretty good...almost too small though.....

[​IMG]

MJGEGB and Nick4305 like this.
  10. limeonaire

limeonaire Empty Pockets

MJGEGB likes this.
  11. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

You also need to check out the negative comments. Of the 320 reviews almost 100 give 1-3 stars, most of them because the drive stopped working after less than a year. I'm not saying that this one is better or worse than others but I would also be careful trusting it.

MJGEGB likes this.
  12. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

I was looking at their CKB drive I like the looks of it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think super talent comes closest so far. Funny thing is my drive seems to be working again though my trust in it is now broken. This is the first time I've had any issues with a jump drive though all of my old ones are sandisks but none of them seem to be too keychain friendly.

13. limeonaire

limeonaire Empty Pockets

Yeah, I've seen those. I haven't had that sort of issue with mine, but I've kept it in mind.

14. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I use this little drive, a PNY 32GB.
    [​IMG]
    Fits on a keychain, no problems. I carry it in a little pocket tin, though, as I don't like a lot of items on my keychain.

15. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

I have about 10 of these (in varying capacity's) and even from new i've found them to be a little bit finicky in a couple of computers. I've found that if you allow it to hang with a small amount of weight from the lanyard attachment point (another 2 of the drives does the trick) they work flawlessly.

At the moment I've got 2 of the 32gb's and one 16gb all attached together on a python clip (the 2 32gb's are mirrors of each other).

I really wish verbatim would come out with a usb 3 version of them though.

16. dao

dao Loaded Pockets

Be careful with this one, it seems to get quite wide on the hole end. Might not fit next to a mouse connector on a laptop if the ports are too close to each other (or it might get pushed to the side, making the connection weak).

I'm also gonna be looking for one once I buy a new laptop, requirement being USB 3.0 and fast. That patriot looks interesting.

17. DragonRider

DragonRider Loaded Pockets

I am going to buck the trend here and recommend going with one of these.... plus one of these I carry 2 cards and a ton of flash memory for my Mac Air, they are attached to the key lanyard strap in my bag.

18. Beau

Beau Empty Pockets

I've owned 2 of these and they both were dead within 6 months. The issue in my case is the exposed contacts, I could visibly see them wearing down, and at a certain point my computer stopped reconizing them. Also I had to really jam it into some machines. Of course YMMV but that was my experience. Had a similar experience with 2 LaCie drives that were in the shape of an actual key, almost gave up finding a small/keychain friendly drive until I found this:

I've owned 2 of these as well, but not because one died, just got one first in 16 gb and one in 64 gb as I needed the latter for a job where I was transferring VMs regularly. The 16 gb is going strong after a year on my keychain and sits in my drawer as a backup. Yes a bit bigger, but I'm convinced it's rather bulletproof - it feels total quality.

Last edited by Beau, Sep 12, 2013
  19. z0mbiSl4y3r

z0mbiSl4y3r Loaded Pockets

I have a cheap Cruz micro right now, but I have a Kingston DTSE9 on order. Heck, I still have the first flash drive I ever bought when they first came out, an old 128MB one and it still works. it's worthless as far as storage space but I keep it for historical value :p

20. adimag

adimag Loaded Pockets

It truly is YMMV. I have 3 super talent pico-C's. One is over 3 years old and I have had zero problems with all pf them. I also have a kingston DTSE9 and it also works perfectly for me. Recently I have been looking at the Patriot tab 3.0 and the Super Talent USB 3.0 Pico.