1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a new keychain setup

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by IThinkTooMuch, Feb 9, 2014.

?

What setup do you recommend?

1. LM squirt ps4 (2 oz) + Fenix E01 (0.7 oz) = 2.7 oz

35.0%
  2. SAK classic (0.6 oz) + gerber shard (0.6 oz) + Fenix E01 (0.7 oz) = 1.9 oz

27.5%
  3. SAK classic (0.6 oz) + Screwpop screwdriver (1 oz) + Fenix E01 (0.7 oz) = 2.3 oz

7.5%
  4. SAK cadet (0.7 oz) + Slip-n-snip scissors (1.0 oz) + Fenix E01 (0.7 oz) = 2.4 oz

2.5%
  5. Other: please specify in your response.

27.5%
  1. trojansteel

trojansteel Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying the E01 for something like... 5 years. I honestly can't remember when I got it. I recently I've considering updating, but I really can't imagine a light being much more durable. I kind of like the fact that the E01 lacks a lens to get scratched or cracked.

I can testify to it's durability. Last winter, the top of the light (the part containing the LED) actually unscrewed and fell off during a night of debauchery. About a month and a half or two months went by which consisted of rain and snow. To my surprise, one day I found the bit outside my friend's place, on the sidewalk (of Philadelphia) mixed in with some dirt and various debris. I washed it off, screwed it back on, and it's worked perfectly ever since.

2. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

How did you come up with .7oz for the SAK Cadet? It's at least 1.5oz. It's kinda big for a keychain anyway. I'll assume that was a mistake and you want to stay with 58mm SAKs, in which case my favorite is the Manager. I love having the pen on me, I'm never more then 2" away from a blade, but a pen is something I never think about, so it's nice to know it's always there.

I like the LM Squirts but it's way to heavy to carry on my keychain, especially since most of it's functions are redundant from the SAK. And I don't know you but a .9oz SAK wins out over a 2oz Squirt any day.

I really don't know what peoples obsession with the Fenix e01 is. 13 lumen out of a AAA was impressive 30 years ago. Get a 47's Atom, or a Maratac AAA, or a Quantum DD.

Between the Gerber Shard, the screwdriver, and scissors- I have no idea what would be most useful to you on a daily basis.

3. fkmtb07

fkmtb07 Loaded Pockets

SAK Rambler and your E01. Everything you mentioned, not much extra. Very lightweight. The 58mm SAK philips driver can be used in larder screw heads up to P #2 pretty effectively.

4. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

You're right that 13 lumens isn't much by todays standard, but it's enough to navigate a trail on a moonless night, search for a pacifier under the crib, and navigate the toy minefield that's my living room. The old incan Mini Maglites put out 14 lumens and they were the laymens' standard for penlights.

I can't speak for others, but what drew me to the E01 over of the more powerful E05, Preon P0, or Olight I3 was the regulated run time. A single AAA alkaline will run regulated for 8-10 hours vs 2 hours on the E05, 1 hour on the Preon high mode, and 1.3 hours on the Olight medium mode. It means that when things go catawampus, I will have reliable, adaquate illumination.

As far as my daily tasks, most of the time it's mundane office and home tasks (open boxes, bags, and envelopes, cutting cord and zipties, prying up staples, etc). However, having a bottle opener and screwdrivers handy has saved the day on too many occasions to count. Mostly related to battery hatches, impromptu repairs, and events where I'm the only one with a bottle opener. In short, being prepared for every day events.

I went and ordered the Fenix E01 and the LM Squirt PS4 from Amazon.

5. Shane Girven

Shane Girven Loaded Pockets

I have the Fenix E01 and also a LM Micra. The E01 is awesome I have used it many times and the battery life is awesome still on first one, Panasonic Evolta AAA.

6. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

i will post pictures soon of my new set up...my wife got one and my granddaughter got one and i got one..i have a black diamond neutrino carabiner with a black pelican 1930 led light...a black sak spartan...a black 4 function survival whistle...a black izula...i might add a multi tool but i am not sure which one..

7. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]
    :)

Sent from Sweden by boat

Brtsmpsn and MedusaOblongata like this.
  8. Nim

Nim Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Rambler, if you have the money and don't need the tweezers (or want to just put them in your wallet and save thickness) you could get an Alox one. You could also get the manager with the pen it's pretty usefull I find.

Also check out the thrunite Ti2, 80Lm high, IPX-8, and I really like how it operates, twist to turn on, tighten even more for high.

kertap75 likes this.
  9. TaylorID

TaylorID Loaded Pockets

Funny, based on your post here, I just made myself a new keychain setup to keep as a spare for my primary keychain setup and/or to give out to guests when they're visiting.

Leatherman Squirt P4 + Fenix E01 + Munroe DTS Dangler.

Thanks for the idea ;)

kertap75 likes this.
  10. MackNJ

MackNJ Loaded Pockets

Style CS has your requirements. Bottle opener works very well, great scissors, blade, and nail file/screwdriver that I've used on both flathead and phillips screws successfully. It's also pretty light, probably somewhere between one and two ounces. Do you need a light? Most phones have pretty bright lights at this point.

11. hazna

hazna Loaded Pockets

get a previously mentioned AAA flashlight (there's a fair range to choose from) + victorinox rambler (alox is nice if you don't need the tooth pick/tweezers). I find the bottle opener works better than in the leatherman squirt range (though it's not the absolute best). The phillips screwdriver is surprisingly versatile.