1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a new keychain setup

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by IThinkTooMuch, Feb 9, 2014.

?

What setup do you recommend?

1. LM squirt ps4 (2 oz) + Fenix E01 (0.7 oz) = 2.7 oz

35.0%
  2. SAK classic (0.6 oz) + gerber shard (0.6 oz) + Fenix E01 (0.7 oz) = 1.9 oz

27.5%
  3. SAK classic (0.6 oz) + Screwpop screwdriver (1 oz) + Fenix E01 (0.7 oz) = 2.3 oz

7.5%
  4. SAK cadet (0.7 oz) + Slip-n-snip scissors (1.0 oz) + Fenix E01 (0.7 oz) = 2.4 oz

2.5%
  5. Other: please specify in your response.

27.5%
  1. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

Thanks in part to my absent mindedness, and thanks in part to an opportunistic twerp, I'm in need of an entirely new keychain setup. I had unclipped the keychain lanyard from my belt so I could unclog the vending machine coin slot, and forgotten to clip it back on when I was done. In the half hour between forgetting to clip the lanyard back on and realizing it, my setup grew legs and walked off :mad:.

My setup was a LM Micra attached to a Photon Freedom and a knotted lanyard. Due to various issues, I've decided to replace it with a different configuration. I need the following functions:
    *Regulated 1xAAA flashlight in the 5-15 lumen range and IPX7 or better water resistance
    *Plain edged blade 1.5-2.5 inches.
    *Scissors
    *Bottle opener
    *Flathead and phillips screwdrivers
    *Preferred total weight between 2 and 3 oz.

I'm allowing for an addition 0.5 oz for a name tag on the off chance that an honest person will find them the next time I lose them. Which brings me to the subject of where is a good place to get good ID tag?

TIA,
    ITTM

2. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I've seen machines in walmart that will print up a pet collar tag for you.

OreoGaborio and CNeal like this.
  3. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

I like choice 1 if you are set on the Fenix but I have experimented too much with setups so now I have a variety and change every so often.
    My favorite is a SAK Manager with a 4Sevens titanium Atom or the Preon PO in stainless. The light and knife tool are both tiny 58mm long, you have a blade, scissors, file, flat and Phillips drivers, cap lifter, wirestripper, toothpick, tweezers and pen plus those lights have a perfect floody beam. I keep them on a mini Ti biner and attach cap keys to that. The setup weighs very little.
    For a bit more functionality but still minimal I just clip a Gerber Shard to my keys as the only thing on a keychain and carry a Preon 1 and a SAK Executive on a p7 both clipped to a pocket. These items are all just 75mm long.

4. IThinkTooMuch

Thanks for the dog collar tag idea. There's a Wally World not far away

I had a similiar setup in the past with a SAK classic /Gerber shard / PT pulsar II. It suffered a similiar fate, hence the 2 oz minimum weight.

The shard bits are adaquate. The LM bits are are much more capable then the SAK rambler bits, and the best I've found on a keychain tool.

Come to think about it, a SAK ambassador (1.2 oz) + Gerber shard (0.6 oz) + Fenix E01 (0.7 oz) = 2.5 oz could also work.

5. IThinkTooMuch

Thanks for the dog collar tag idea. There's a Wally World not far away

I had a similiar setup in the past with a SAK classic /Gerber shard / PT pulsar II. It suffered a similiar fate, hence the 2 oz minimum weight.

The shard bits are adaquate. The LM bits are are much more capable then the SAK rambler bits, and the best I've found on a keychain tool.

Come to think about it, a SAK ambassador (1.2 oz) + Gerber shard (0.6 oz) + Fenix E01 (0.7 oz) = 2.5 oz could also work.

6. DB_Cooper

DB_Cooper Loaded Pockets

Ive got shard and fenix e01 so it got my vote.

7. CootShooter

CootShooter Loaded Pockets

Ditch the Fenix E01 and go for either a Fenix E05, Thrunite Ti (not the Ti2 or TiS), or Preon P0.

I have a Vic Compact and clip it to my light and they both ride together in the bottom of my front right pocket. I've found that I don't often need the pliers as much as I thought I would on an EDC basis.

8. keymaster

keymaster Loaded Pockets

A tiny leatherman and a flashlight... all you need to survive in the wilderness.

9. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

+1 for the 4Sevens Ti Atom AAA. Been carrying this for a while and have found it super useful and probably as small as a AAA light can be. I carry this alongside a PS4. These two are the same length and width so I've wrapped them with a piece of velcro tape and the sit well together without bumping in the pocket.

10. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Leatherman Micra + Quantum D2

11. Jacob Lee

Jacob Lee Loaded Pockets

E01 gets my vote. Indestructible. Cheap ($12). Long run time. 1xAAA. :)

Al Effendi likes this.
  12. ilbagatta

ilbagatta Empty Pockets

I vote for Squirt PS4 and fenix E01...
    Not because I own it now, but because, after these days on this forum, i decided this will be my setup soon...

Nick4305 likes this.
  13. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice combo, bro.
    You can match the color of both too.
    Nick

14. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

I just thought of another option: Midnight Minichamp. All the minichamp tools plus pen plus light, 58mm. Don't know how good the light is but I find I use my keychain light for either seeing the keyhole in the dark or looking under a couch for a remote control( I've got two little boys)! It basically has everything in a tiny package. One tool that's useful on the minichamp is the orange peeler. It's actually a great clamshell package opener.

15. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

I've carried my PS4 for about 3 years now. It's a very handy little tool set, the scissors and flat Phillips driver get the most use. A small pair of pliers is more handy than you might think and the wire cutters pack above their weight. The file on mine has even been used, though it is the least used tool on the PS4 for me. The knife blade is chisel ground from the factory but only on the secondary bevel; so that can be fixed. The knife like a victoinox is easy to sharpen and takes a fine edge. There is also the fun factor if you tend to fiddle with things the PS4 is fun to mess with when you need something to occupy your hands. Last thing the bottle opener kind of sucks it always takes at least two tries for me, but it works and how often do you really use it, the fact that it works should be good enough.

16. Epicxxxx

Epicxxxx Loaded Pockets

Dont know what you should do about the light, But it may be worth a look into the leatherman style. leathermans answer to the sak classic, tweezers on this one are perfect.

17. Kyle Sampson

Kyle Sampson Loaded Pockets

Leatherman Skeletool CX, HDS rotary 250.

18. IThinkTooMuch

The 4Sevens Ti Atom AAA is out of production. It appears to have been replaced with the Preon P0 and the Atom A0 red led. I definitely like the floody beams on the replacements, but the output on the P0 is either too low to navigate indoor or too high to avoid waking people. The A0 red led is a possability, but I'm not sure I want to got back to a red LED for EDC.

Or should I just get a Foursevens P0, Thrunight Ti(2), or Olight I3 and disregard the output requirements?

Last edited by IThinkTooMuch, Feb 10, 2014
  19. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Why not something like a Fenix LD01 or Preon1? Multi mode is more useful.

Al Effendi likes this.
  20. Al Effendi

Al Effendi Loaded Pockets

The LD01 is my main light.

--Al