1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a new EDC folder

Discussion in 'Knives' started by EDCTEEN, Mar 14, 2010.

1. EDCTEEN

EDCTEEN Loaded Pockets

Hey everyone! I am looking for a new EDC folder that won't break the bank. Right now I am looking at the Buck Vantage and the Spyderco Tenacious. Do any of you recommend a good EDC folder that is one hand opener and it locks? Again I don't want it to cost more than 75 dollars! After all I am only a teenager, thanks everyone!

2. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

for $75 you can set your sights a bit higher than the buck vantage or the tenacious. You can get a spyderco Delica 4 or Endura 4. they are both fantastic knifes and just had a limited run of new colors released. If you like assisted opening take a look at kershaw. the Leek is about $50 and you can get a Blur for about $60.

What are you looking for in a knife? what size blade are you looking for? do you like assisted opening?

3. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

I would recommend the Spyderco Delica or Boker Exskelibur. Other possibilities include:
    -Spyderco Dragonfly
    -Spyderco Tenacious/Persistence
    -Spyderdo Sage 1 if you stretch your budget
    -Spyderco Stretch if you stretch your budget
    -Any number of Kershaws, take your pick.

4. dave0628

dave0628 Empty Pockets

did you consider any kershaws? like the blur or scallion or leek depending on how big of a blade you want.

5. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

For $75 there are quite a few good knives. The G-10 Dragonfly has a lot of nice features. The Delica 5, which should be out soon, is also a really good knife (unlike the 4 it has a full flat grind and FRN handles, you could get a full flat grind but only with G-10). I also really like Centofante 3, which is a nice looking knife for the money. A Benchmade Mini Grip is also a good knife, though I myself had never really liked them. The SOG Flash I and II are nice, as is the Twitch. The Aegis is nice, but a little too big for my EDC tastes. There are quite a few good knives out there. The Kershaw Skyline is also a nice lbade, but at the low end of your price range. If you can snag one on ebay or the like a Buck Strider is a great knife for the money (especially with the Bos heat treat), but it is HUGE.

6. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

the FFG Delicas are still a Delica 4. they are just a sprint run. They are also availabe in stores as of friday. I have my purple one right here.

[​IMG]

7. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

Over the past 40 years, I've purchased - and still own - a great variety of folders: Kershaws, ZT's, Striders, Bucks, Bokers, Benchmades, Byrds, Spyderco's and others. For the money, I don't think you can beat the performance, durability or ergonomics of the Spyderco's. I own quite a few Spyderco folders ranging from the Ladybug to the Manix C95. In that every knife represents a compromise of sorts, the best set of comprises - to me - is the Spyderco Native FRN plain edge. Great steel, extremely sharp, very good ergos and performance, disappears in the pocket, very stout in terms of blade, scales and how they work together. It will also meet your $70 price tag even with shipping included.

8. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

I'll post my usual recommendations:
    • Kershaw Skyline - $35 : US made, good Sandvik steel, nice the blade shape, G-10 handles, liner lock, hollow ground blade, bead blasted finish, 2 position clip for right handed tip up or tip down carry, phosphor bronze washers, light weight, smooth and fast flipper w/ thumbstuds also (non-AO)
    • Spyderco Tenacious - $30-35 : Chinese made, high quality, high value, very good fit & finish, decent steel, G-10, handles, liner lock, 4 position clip for tip up/down/left/right carry, phosphor bronze washers, fast & smooth deployment, open construction, full-flat grind, Spyder Hole (non-AO), great thumb jimping
    • Buck Vantage Pro - $40-45 : US made, S30V "premium" steel, G-10 handles, liner lock, very high value considering the Paul Bos treated S30V premium steel, great clip design that rides very low in pocket, hollow ground blade, 2 position clip for left or right tip up carry, open construction, flipper and thumbslot (non-AO), no jimping
    • Kershaw Leek - $35-50+ depending on steel and handle options : US made, steel handles, frame lock, good Sandvik steel (other steel choices include S30V, ZDP-189/Sandvik composite blade), hollow grind blade 2 position clip for right hand tip up or tip down, thumbstud and flipper w/ AO
    • Spyderco Native - $50 and up : US made, great S30V steel (other steel options available), FRN handles, linerless, pinned construction on the cheaper models, spear/leaf shaped hollow ground blade, 2 position clip for right or left handed tip up carry, light weight, linerless Spyder Hole (non-AO), great thumb jimping

All are 3 - 3 1/2". All are in my EDC rotation. You can get the Kershaws from Walmart. The Skyline is my favorite and gets the most carry.

The new FFG (full flat grind) Delicas and Enduras look great too. I will most definitely pick up a FFG Delica since I already have a G-10 Endura FFG. I love the Delica and Endura lines but have never been crazy about their saber grinds. But now....

9. coop1957

coop1957 Empty Pockets

All of the above suggestions are good ones. I would stay away from the Buck Vantage Pro . It has great blade steel S30V and a nice low riding pocket clip. On the downside the handle doesn't have enough grip and blade axis screw is too small. Just my $0.02.

10. Leif

Leif Empty Pockets

Benchmade Mini-Griptilian Tanto: http://www.benchmade.com/products/557. I've had one with a non-serrated blade for about a year now, and it is an excellent EDC knife. I take it to work everyday. Definitely within your price range (I bought it new for far less than MSRP).

11. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Manix 2

A tough knife that will last a lifetime...

12. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

before I make any suggestions, I have to ask...any blade length, or mechanism restrictions we should know about?

13. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

Ahh yeah I forgot about this one, this is a perfect knife to delve into the world of Spyderco and EDC knives with.

14. Wstan

Wstan Loaded Pockets

Although some don't love it, for EDC I do: Benchmade Mini Pika II. Nearly 3" blade gets you under many (but not all) local length restrictions without looking or feeling tiny. Ambidextrous, which matters if you're lefty. Easy one hand opening, and easily found for under $30. That leaves you $20 for other toys!

15. Bellasdaddy

Bellasdaddy Loaded Pockets

Just picked up a Spydie Delica for $50 on amazon with free shipping. Perfect size for me and seems very tough.

16. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I have a Spyderco Manix 2 and it's a great knife. However, due to the folded size and its weight, I don't find it a good EDC knife, at least for pocket carry.

17. Frenzied

Frenzied Empty Pockets

I really recommend Spyderco, I've had wonderful experiences with every knife of theirs I've bought, no issues or problems at all. Great functionality, quality parts, they feel like art in my hands sometimes.

Here are my recommendations, based on lock type:

Liner Lock: Spyderco Sage - Save up the additional $11.35 and get this knife while its on sale at cutleryshoppe.com! It sells for $86.35 and is normally $100 to $120 online. I love this blade, it is my EDC and I can't heap enough praise upon it. It radiates quality, and puts all my other knives to shame. It would be a wonderful first Spyderco for anyone looking for one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtYsIuP1Sc8

Lock Back: Spyderco Native - I don't have one of these but a family member does, and I really like it. His is the all black, serrated one... and I am VERY tempted to get one constantly... If I wanted a lock back Spyderco this knife would be number 1 on my list. This knife is within your price range.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ11GDnJ_Us

Ball Bearing/"axis?" type Lock: Spyderco Manix - A great looking and feeling knife, its up there with the Native and the Sage in my book, especially if you like its great lockup mechanism. It should be within your price range also. I've only fondled this knife at my local Spyderco dealer, but it looks and feels like a winner.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmhQQywOif0

I made a conscious decision to stick to just one type of locking mechanism for my carry knives to help with muscle memory and knife use in a crisis, and thats liner lock, so I own no lock backs or "axis" type locks. Almost every single day I question the actual benefit of this, and constantly reconsider my decision... so many cool toys with other lock types!!! The day I do drop this "only liner locks" silliness I will purchase that Native and that Manix IMMEDIATELY! :)

Keep in mind too, you might want to consider 2 knife carry also. With $75 or so you could get a "big" Spyderco like a Tenacious or Persistence AND a "smaller" Spyderco like a Cat, Chicago or Dragonfly for your $75 total budget from a deep discount online shop.

PS - I'm not "TheCajunBlaze" in those YouTube links, but I really respect his reviews of knives on YouTube and recommend you check them out. He and I seem to have the same criteria for knife use and carry, and so far I've yet to differ with him on any of his excellent reviews!! He happens to be a Spyderco fan like I am as well. Check out his reviews at: http://www.youtube.com/user/thecajunblaze

18. conquer88

conquer88 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG] SAK victorinox soldier '09 with customize Tek-Lok kydex holster

19. PrenticeRitter

PrenticeRitter Empty Pockets

I carry the Buck Vantage a lot and couldn't be happier with the whole design and it stays sharp, low rider clip. Haven't found anything I didn't like.

20. niimo

niimo Loaded Pockets

Another for the 2010 full flat grind Spyderco Delica and Endura! Knifeworks.com has 'em, each for under $60 which is where I pick up mine from. You can also wait for Yourcornerstore.com to get them in, the Delica is listed there for $50 and some change! Both are outstanding knives, they are popular for good reason.