1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a new bag for dayhiking and EDC

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by gdwtvb, Aug 7, 2021.

1. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I used to own many fine backpacks, but I sold them off when they went unused for several years. When I gave up hunting and moved out of the country I just never used them anymore. My wife and I have just started camping and I find myself in need of a backpack. Mostly for use in state parks and the like on nature trails, for several hour treks to just carry snacks, drinks, maybe jackets/raingear as well as a small bowl and extra water for our dog plus the usual edc stuff. (cell, FAK, bandanna, flashlight, etc.)

I'd love it if this could be useful for when I want to change-up my messenger style EDC bag to a backpack as well.

Right now I am seriously considering the Mystery Ranch 2DAP.

Anybody have that bag and want to offer up an opinion?

What other bags should I be considering?

As a note I used to have a Rush 24, but I found it very uncomfortable.

Thanks, Grizz

zyntherius likes this.
  2. GhstMakrActual

GhstMakrActual Loaded Pockets

I have a 3DAP, had an ASAP but got rid of it. Just picked up a Vertx Gamut 2.0... the bag is amazing. Not too 'tacticool' but is a great CCW platform and can easily carry a Ballistic Panel.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

gdwtvb likes this.
  3. Uzna

Uzna Loaded Pockets

2DAP would be a great choice. Alpha One Niner has the Evade 1.5 series. Lite is without the laptop compartment, or the full has a laptop compartment. If your EDC doesn't include a laptop, Hill People Gear would be a solid choice as well.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hatchetwound, gdwtvb and zyntherius like this.
  4. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

I have the 2DAP and have been using it as an EDC pack for a about a year.

I love the pack, but I don't love it for EDC. Only because it is very low on organization, and I am realizing I miss having lots of organization in that role.

For a pack that you are going to be using more on the trail. I think it will be great. I love the yoke system and it's a comfortable pack.

gdwtvb likes this.
  5. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

While looking through YouTube review videos, I stumbled on another possible pack possibility. The surplus FILBE assault pack. Looks like it would be a bit cheaper and customizable. Seems a little big for EDC, but maybe perfect for dayhikes. I have always been drawn to overbuilt packs, and this one seems like it is a pretty good option for a lower cost. I already have a laptop sleeve, all I would need is a water bottle holder. (which are readily available and pretty reasonably priced.)

Anyone have first hand experience with one of these?

Grizz

6. Uzna

Uzna Loaded Pockets

I am not familiar with the FILBE personally. After reading a couple reviews, it sounds like a solid pack. If modularity is what you want, probably a good way to go.

A couple questions to consider. Will it stay under $200 with the add-ons you would want? Is there any warranty on them? I know both MR and A19 have solid warranties and are in that $150-$200 range.

Good luck with your decision. It's always a tough one.

7. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Hard to go wrong with a Hill People Gear Umlindi. It's probably the most comfortable and versatile pack I've ever owned. There are tons of different ways to configure it with the various pocket options they have. I purchased a Kifaru chamber slider that has a nice padded sleeve that works for a smaller laptop or tablet that hangs from the top loop inside the bag and comes out easily when not needed.

BigGreenTick likes this.
  8. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

The more I research the more options I see, Vanquest Ibex, Vertx Gamut 2, Hill People Umlindi. I almost need to start a spreadsheet to keep all the specs straight. I'm allowing myself another week or two of research before pulling the trigger. Grizz

Myrddraal and BigGreenTick like this.
  9. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

It's nothing fancy or frilly, but I'm a big fan of Eddie Bauer's Adventurer 30L. I've had one for several years and it's held up to everything I can throw at it.

BigGreenTick likes this.
  10. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

I have to recommend the Vertx EDC Ready pack. I find them a great blend of size and organization. They can carry more than necessary but also don’t deflate when packed light. Tons of built in organization but with mechanisms for modularity depending on your purpose. (Hook and loop lined) hell, I have two of them, so they definitely have my vote. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Check out my post here for more photos and somewhat of a review.

demPho's EDC (An ever-developing condition)
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=9229&share_tid=134408&share_pid=2681236&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eedcforums%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3Fposts%2F2681236%2F&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Let me know if you have any questions or want any pics of my set up with the Umlindi. I also have the Gamut 2 which is great, but geared more toward EDC and CCW where the Umlindi is more of a backcountry pack.

12. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Loaded Pockets

How are you using the HPG fanny pack?

13. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I’ve since transitioned more to the Viktos upscale 2 as a daily driver but this was the action packed, under the radar essentials kit with a Glock 43 in the back. I typically wear it bandolier style. Love this thing!

So in the context of the vertx, the ready pack is my truck bag and the HPG the true edc. Since I work either from my truck or my private office, everything kind of lived in the vertx on my passenger seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Smith and Nick4305 like this.
  14. Katjang1

Katjang1 Loaded Pockets

Take a look at Karrimor SF packs. I’ve got the predator 45 and the Predator 30. Both top loading packs. Very well made. Beautiful packs. Actual hard use gear. Affordable but above all very comfortable. Just have a look will you? ;)

15. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Loaded Pockets

Thanks for taking the time to post pictures. I really like how you set that up. I used a HPG original V2 kit bag with an improvised grab handle the same way for awhile butt was too big. Might have to get a FP. I’m too old and fat to do anything bandolier style. Lol

16. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I finally pretty much decided to get a hill people gear Umlindi, BUT it's currently out of stock. So I went with my more expensive choice and I have a Mystery Ranch 3 day assault pack on the way. A little larger than I originally wanted, but seems to be a solid pack and will work great for dayhikes on trails.

Thanks for everyone's input.
    Grizz

twin63 likes this.
  17. Uzna

Uzna Loaded Pockets

Let us know what you think of it after you've used it a few times. I've looked at the 2dap and 3dap many times but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

gdwtvb likes this.
  18. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

Will Do

19. 1holegrouper

1holegrouper Loaded Pockets

Mystery ranch makes good stuff. An upgrade to that pack and and alternative to consider would be the Kifaru X Ray. But, for what you described, you would be carrying things that don’t require so many square inches that both of those packs offer and a Mountainsmith Day lumbar pack with Strapettes added would work very well and be less in the way and much less expensive and last a lifetime. I have all of these and love them but I use the Mountainsmith and grab it most all the time.