1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a Locking Keychain Knife

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by jwalker497, Jan 17, 2012.

1. jwalker497

jwalker497 Loaded Pockets

2. JMS42687

JMS42687 Loaded Pockets

So it has to have a mechanical lock that needs to be disengaged before opening?

The best keychain knife I've used for EDC is the Spyderco Ladybug, it locks open but not closed.

dDOTv likes this.
  3. Faynard

Faynard Loaded Pockets

Boker keycom is what I use. With the clip, it can be used like a p-7 to hang keys in a pocket. Without the clip, it's crazy slim. It also (IMO) has a better blade shape/ergos than many other tiny knives - you can do some pretty big jobs for how small the knife is. Comes very sharp too.
    I will however also note that while it securely locks open, it does not lock closed.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

4. jwalker497

jwalker497 Loaded Pockets

Yes Id lock it to be locked while closed.

5. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

deleted.... JMS covered it.

6. aaronu

aaronu Loaded Pockets

I was going to suggest a Benchmite until I realized that's what the Aphid is. Mine is an older design but yes, it locks closed or open. And it didn't cost anywhere near $125. f you're not willing to spend that much on a keychain knife, search the web for a Benchmite or Benchmite II... someone's got to have one in stock.

Also there are other Buck SafeSpin knives out there. Maybe one of those would be small enough?

Same for Opinel. The smaller ones do not lock but you could customize a No. 6...?

7. Chief-Yeah

Chief-Yeah Loaded Pockets

8. Mark Greenman
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Mark Greenman Loaded Pockets

9. kubolaw

kubolaw Loaded Pockets

Whenever this question comes up, there are a lot of suggestions for good small folders, but almost none of them ever satisfy one of the core requirements - that the blade lock closed. I know that most people don't see the need for this, and undoubtedly many see this as a negative for their own personal situations, but it is something that I really feel is important for any knife I attach to my keychain.

The best I have found (and what I have had on my keychain for the past many years) is the aforementioned Benchmite, but unfortunately it is no longer produced by Benchmade. I regret not picking up a few of the Benchmite II's when they were still being sold. The SOG Flash I is the only other viable candidate I have seen, but I don't like the fact that it is an assisted opener, and that the lock does not seem to engage automatically when the knife is closed. I guess the Kershaw Chive is another option, but once again, it is an assisted opener and the lock is a switch, rather than an all-the-time lock such as the Benchmite. If anyone knows of a comparable successor, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

10. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

11. Tuirrenn

Tuirrenn Loaded Pockets

Opinel comes to mind, their folders lock closed with the ring lock.

12. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Forget about the SOG flash...

I have a flash II, which is now retired to my car bag. Quality isn't up to the price of the knife, and the lock is a :censored:. It will engage/disengage on its own, and in a pocket, combined with assisted open which may, for example get caught be keys In your pocket, may leave you suddenly parted with intimate body parts...

Just my thoughts, but a spring assisted knife with an unreliable lock, in close contact with my genitals? No thanks!

Bosman likes this.
  13. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I love my flash II never had quality problem, lock stays locked.. I swear by mine in my pocket every day..

Lowes had the for 35 bucks so its not too expensive

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

14. Norzarie

Norzarie Empty Pockets

I second the Buck Transport. It's locks closed with the same strength as open. The housing is plastic but it doesn't feel flimsy or cheap.

15. Nickc

Nickc Empty Pockets

Kershaw Chive might work, but i personally dont like stainless steel handles.

16. psychobilly451

psychobilly451 Empty Pockets

I second opinel! although you may have to drill a hole in the handle of a standard one to put it on a keychain because the opinel "keychain" model doesnt lock.

17. ckc123

ckc123 Loaded Pockets

The kershaw chive is a spring assist (if it's legal where you are) that have a lock to keep it closed, and open.. it's small enough to keep on your keys (which I do)

18. 19cohiba75

19cohiba75 Loaded Pockets

Just seen a bunch of these BenchMade Benchmite's Harley Davidson editions on Ebay. Price is between 60 and 65, there is an Original model in blue titanium for 220.

19. scout121

scout121 Empty Pockets

crkt p.e.c.k- got one on my keychain and necklace! great little knife.

20. swiftness

swiftness Loaded Pockets