1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a light for safari

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by italophil, Apr 29, 2016.

1. italophil

italophil Empty Pockets

Hi guys,

I haven't logged in here in quite some time.
    I am currently getting ready for a 3 week self driving safari trip in South Africa, Botswana, Namibia. Toyota Landcruiser J70 with a rooftop tent! This is a great opportunity to do some serious gear shopping.
    As part of that, I am looking for a small to medium sized, highly reliable flashlight that uses very common batteries and has at least a high/low setting. Based on this I started looking at 2xAA flashlights from known brands and came up with this list:
    1. Fenix E20 2015 No Shake
    2. Mini Maglite Pro+
    3. Nitecore MT2A
    4. Fenix LD22 2015
    5. ThruNite Archer 2A V3
    Now I just can’t decide!

Can anybody weigh in with experiences on either of those flashlights in a camping environment?

Thanks!

2. Stryker

Stryker Loaded Pockets

I did mixed plains game hunting at multiple locations a number of years ago. I recommend the Fenix eo1 plus the Fenix PD 35. I wore the eo1 around my neck and always had it available at night for in-tent use. The PD 35 gives you multiple capabilities for bush use, including strobe for predators at night enroute to the latrine! Don't overthink the batteries: bring your own replacements. Your guide will handle everything else. Enjoy your trip!

3. Ellis Chapman

Ellis Chapman Loaded Pockets

Just another idea.
    Why not think of rechargeable batteries, you will have the vehicle to use for power.

4. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

Light for a safari? Isn't it obvious you need a Zebra Light...

Actually, seriously they are very good lights for a safari. I use a flood style headlight with the right angle head and also carry a regular beam style version. My particular choice is the CR123 battery but really the equivalent AA is a bit more sensible when in Africa and you need to grab some more batteries. As we travel self contained, it's never been an issue.

Zebra Light's interface is really good clicky switch and both stand up and they are really compact. I'd also go for the daylight version as they seem to pick out animals better in my experience.

adnj and david57strat like this.
  5. twoisone
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Or if you are trying to spot game at night, perhaps the Olight m2x Javelot long thrower?

6. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

+1 on Zebralights

[​IMG]

When I can only carry one light, on-person (at work, for instance), it's the SC600w Mk III (on the right, in the picture).

7. italophil

italophil Empty Pockets

Thanks for the suggestions.

After re considering the use case a bit, I am now leaning to a 18650 flashlight with built-in charger, most likely the Thrunite TC12, and a CR123 based headlamp. If something goes wrong with the built-in charger I can always fall back on CR123 primaries or the headlamp.

This kind of quadrupled my budget ... I could have known that would happen!

8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If you want to stick with the AA lights, you could always just pick up some Eneloops.

That being said, if you are willing to invest in the 18650 cells and chargers, they are the most energy-dense cell out there.