1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a LARGE laptop bag that holds LOTS of stuff

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by patsue, Feb 7, 2018.

1. patsue

patsue Empty Pockets

I pretty much need to carry my "office" wherever I happen to need to be and for now I am using both a Timbuk2 medium messenger bag AND an older small (it might be a medium) Timbuk2 commute bag to haul it all around daily. I need something with the protection for my MacBook pro and iPad like the commute bag but with the room for both bags in one. Cords, books, even a change of cloths type deal. Love it to be TSA friendly if possible.

The only one that is getting my attention is a new LARGE Timbuk2 commute which sells for $139 from their website and Amazon.

I want to be able to somewhat easily get the laptop out without digging through the bag.

Anyone use something like that and have a recommendation?

Pat

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have been carrying the First Tactical Ascend for over a year now both at home and on the Road and it is amazing how much it carries and how easily it does so!
    Not as nicely built as some but also not as expensive.
    The bag is a beast and not flimsy or cheap feeling but not as nicely detailed is the best way to put it.
    I think they have a try it out promise too? So not much to lose in trying one.
    You can call them up too and get a pretty decent discount code I know I did!

Just a great bigger bag!

https://www.firsttactical.com/products/ascend-messenger-bag

Betcd and Myrddraal like this.
  3. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

Check out the Tom Bihn Brain Bag, 36 L you'll need to buy a Cache with it to make it TSA compliant. USA made of 525 Ballistic nylon, doesn't have the tactical look and an all around great company.

Jay-uk likes this.
  4. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Have you looked at the Maxpedition Skyvale?

5. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

We bought our son an Oakley, Big Kitchen Sink, backpack at the beginning of his freshman year of college. He's a senior now and it's held up better than I though it would.

6. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I have used a Tumi Alpha2 Expandable Organiser for the last 20 years or so. They are not cheap but quality is fantastic: my first is still good to go, but looked a bit scruffy after 12 years and many, many thousands of miles so got replaced. The second was even better with an improved design that provides a waterproofed pocket that is great for a wet umbrella or a sweating water bottle. The very latest version includes a dedicated tablet pocket.

On regular days I use it unexpanded but when travelling the extra space (within IATA regs) is great. Instead of the supplied sleeve I use an Incase sleeve (with a shoulder strap) that serves as a "when you are there" lightweight bag. Typical travel load is:
    • laptop
    • papers & notebooks
    • tablet
    • compact camera
    • pouch with cables, etc.
    • pouch with spare undies & socks
    • noise cancelling headphones
    • pouch with emergency toothbrush, shoe laces, FAK, etc.
    • passport and foreign currency
    • pouch with pens
    • umbrella
    • water bottle
    • keys

7. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the pelican mobility line. Some great stuff!

8. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

Greenroom136 Junk Monkey (L) and Rainmaker (L).

9. patsue

patsue Empty Pockets

Thanks for recommendations. For now I am using my Rush 12 until I make a decision. It just holds what I need but is pretty full. Just not TSA friendly.

10. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

I have been looking at one of these for over 2 years. The price is so high and I'm debating on if it's worth it. You carry about what I carry, minus the camera. How does this carry as far as weight? Any chance you could post pics? Thanks.

11. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

The bag itself is no heavier than anything else you might choose, so I do not see that as a deciding factor.

Am on the road currently, without the Tumi which doesn't play nice with client-issued laptop + laptop that actually works, so no pics to hand. Can do when I get home (approx 10 days) if that will help. Is there a particular aspect that you want to see?

For me the key question is quality. I would probably still be using my original Tumi had it not been for a pen that leaked red ink over the outside pocket, which I cannot blame on them. Apart from that the bag, which has literally been around the world twice, is still good to go.

Your job may be a factor. If you rock up every day into the same cubicle whether your bag is a "name" brand or not probably doesn't matter. If you have to visit clients then an up-market bag helps to create a good impression.

12. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

I'm on the road with home office. So different city each week. Probably not as much as you but close enough. I'm on the road too so 10 days isn't an issue.

13. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

Goruck gr1 or larger

14. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets