1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a headlamp

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Kilted1, Oct 28, 2013.

1. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

4sevens MiNi cr123 with a Felix band is the setup that I use the most.

Around 200 lumens on high, if you shop around they can be had cheaper (forum BST has them from time to time) but on Amazon it's around 48. US shipped. For the money it's hard to beat IMO.

I also highly recommend the e+light it's a great backup headlight.
    [​IMG]

2. carry all 4 life

carry all 4 life Loaded Pockets

+1 been really liking this light

defuse kit likes this.
  3. Pilgrimm

Pilgrimm Loaded Pockets

I have a couple petzl headlamps that are the bees knees. I recently bought two lights from amazon due to I night ride my bike a lot, a buddy of mine got two and they are super bright and light the trails up like mad! I broke down and bought two myself, they're a Cree XML t6 rated at 1200 lumens, though comparing with my fenix pd32 I'd venture to say they're between 400-600 lumens. For $45 for two shipped they're hard to beat and out shine a couple buddies $150+ Lights. They come with chargers, full head straps and rechargeable battery packs with a run time of 3-4 hours.

Maybe check them out?

4. ninja.medic

ninja.medic Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for one that can mount on a helmet and uses AA batteries, specifically enelope rechargeables. Any thoughts?

Ninja Medic
    (mel)

5. Tyler Johnson

Tyler Johnson Loaded Pockets

I absolutely love my Petzl Tikka Plus 2. I've used it excessively and even in a GORUCK Challenge. Never slipped off my head once. Great battery light and has the red illuminator for nighttime reading; map, compass, whatever you need to glance at

6. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

The Alpkit Gamma is the best value for money headlamp I know of. Quality, design, features, customer service, it's all there.

7. Rocacid

Rocacid Loaded Pockets

+1 for any alpkit products, I don't own the head lamp but I have the pipedream, hunka and also their carbon walking poles great value for money.

8. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

The Petzl range is a fairly safe bet - a decent 'mass market' option if you will... Decent quality, good value for money and a brand that you can't go far wrong with. I used the Tikka XP for years of camping and adventuring and it never once let me down. I can't comment particularly on any of the newer models, but if they hold up the reputation (as many say they do) you will get a great light.

For a bit less money there is the Alpkit Gamma - on paper stunning value, decent performance and a rather pleasing price. The main downside being it just doesn't have the same build quality as better options like the Petzls. On a budget though, go for it.

For a little more money you can also have a look at what I replaced the Petzl with, which would be the Zebralight range of lights. I think it is the h501 I have which I got secondhand for a great price, and basically just gives you a little more oomph and control compared to the Petzl - more output and better control of it, a slightly neater size and a light you can also pop off the band and use as a small angle light which can be very useful (especially when combined with the pocket clip you can swap the headband for). Highly recommended and well worth the extra pennies.

9. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Well, it's been an interesting thread so far, I hope it keeps going! Thanks to member JP's very generous gift, I now have a brand new, in the sealed package Petzl Tikka XP2! I think I'm in love. I could have used it yesterday while doing an equipment install in a very poorly lit phone closet, could have used it last week to help replace the water pump on my home's hydronic heating system. I plan to use it very shortly while rebuilding my iPod since the final part for that was in the mailbox right on top of JP's package. I intend on doing a review soon, probably later today.

keith1234 likes this.
  10. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

It looks like Princeton Tec has some.

11. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I've had an Energizer Hard Case Professional for a few years and have put it through all kinds of nastyness. It's really proven to be a workhorse. It may not have the most light output, but it has done everything I've needed it to do from camping, boating, home repair, auto repair, power outages and hunting.

12. Highway9
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Highway9 Loaded Pockets

nm

Last edited by Highway9, May 25, 2014
  13. Cracked Rib
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cracked Rib Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the Petzl Tikka XP2. Red light option, diffuser that slides up spread the beam, two output levels for the white light. Not the brightest or most durable, but plenty good enough. Takes AAA batteries, but I got the Core rechargeable lithium add-on because I like to know the batteries are fully charged. Use it at least 2 or 3 times a week, more now that there are fewer hours of day light. Last used to inspect my cat's teeth!

14. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

gorillatorch switchback (google it,I can not link it)
    130 lumen, runs off two AA batteries, comes with a lantern unit to convert the headlight to lantern

15. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Consider the Mammut T-Peak Headlamp. Uses 3XAAA, runtimes High: 20 hours / low: 100 hours.
    RIE has a sale on this light for $36.73. At the price point you set the Mammut, Fenix, Black Diamond (BD), or Petxl lights will serve you well. Around my house we have an older Eddie Bauer light, an older BD and three BD Moxies for our three godchildren. Any of these lights allow you to work or look around your home or property hands free.

If you need more throw or longer runtimes the price point will pass $50 or $100. Around the home the lights mentioned in all the posts here work well and can use rechargeable batteries.

16. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm looking at a couple of headlamp options:
    Fenix HL10
    Mammut S-lite
    Mammut S-flex

I'm not wild about the standard x3 AAA format; the Fenix runs on a single AAA, the two Mammuts use a single AA.

17. Bubba stump

Bubba stump Loaded Pockets

I'm waiting for a delivery of an Olight H15s wave. I hope its good. Runs on either 4 AAA s or a proprietary rechargeable pack. 3 settings and only $42.