1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a Fanny Pack for Disneyland

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by elkhills, Feb 11, 2010.

1. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

As much as I hate the idea, I think I need to buy a Fanny Pack. Going to the Magic Kingdom in 3 weeks and I need something that's not a backpack to carry snacks, maybe a bottle or two of water and other odds 'n ends.

Suggestions, please?

2. xxxWxxx

xxxWxxx Loaded Pockets

My wife and I just got back from spending a week in Disney World and I have to say that I was happy to have brought my backpack with me. It enabled me to carry all of the small essentials plus a sweatshirt, travel mug, etc. and still leave room for gifts and stuff. I just don't think a fanny pack is big enough for much of anything, but I don't know what you plan on carrying.

3. kakinuma-kun

kakinuma-kun Loaded Pockets

We went to Disneyland in November and I was glad to have chosen to leave my backpack in the hotel: too much bulk for most rides, compared to my fanny pack, which I could simply bring around to my lap and still keep secure. Plus, I had cargo pockets, shirt pockets, etc.

I use and would recommend the Mountainsmith Tour, which is available via REI Outlet on sale at the moment for $49:

http://www.rei.com/product/800094

You can also have it shipped to your local REI and avoid shipping, if that's an option for you.

It's a fantastic fanny pack with many technical features (compression straps, bungee cord, loops, etc.) and converts from a fanny pack to an over-the-shoulder bag with the included strap, which stashed away.

An excellent product in all ways.

Good luck.

4. wilzmann

wilzmann Loaded Pockets

Fanny pack or gearslinger is the best if you can keep it light.

5. zev

zev Loaded Pockets

How about a vest? Or is that just as un-cool? ;D

6. copierguy_mobile

copierguy_mobile Loaded Pockets

My Jumbo is on it's third trip to Disney and I wouldn't take anything else.

Admittedly, I tend to go camera heavy (at least a compact DSLR and 2 lenses) but it holds my photo gear, the all important poncho, some other essentials and having a place for a water bottle is never a bad thing in Florida.

The large SRB on the main strap lets me drop it off my shoulder and plop it in my lap any time I need to and it's just the right size for going between your feet on every ride I've been on.

[​IMG]
    note the covered over Max logo

-Greg

7. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

I might be leaning towards a Proteus Versipack, but that Jumbo looks kinda cool...

Somebody talk me into it!

8. molawns

molawns Loaded Pockets

An inexpensive option is to pick up one of the fanny packs from WalMart. They're surprisingly sturdy and roomy, with built in water bottle holders on the sides. Usually under $20.

9. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

Proteus is a very small pack, in fact. It fits inside Sabrecat and probably will fit inside jumbo too. I would not rely on it as an only bag, it's too small.

10. Pardner

Pardner Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Mountainsmith Tour. It is the most versatile since it's got the wide waistbelt which you can easily tuck inside a panel and just use it as a shoulder bag or if it is heavy add the backpack straps for more support. It's got two side bottle carriers and has good organization. If that is too small, you can move to the Mountainsmith Day with all the same carry option and if that is still too small, there is always the Kifaru Scout.

11. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

Keep in mind that Disney parks all have mandatory bag checks at the entrances. Any bag, no matter how small, including a fanny pack or even a pocket-size camera bag, is required to be checked at the bag check station before you enter the park. And the bag check lines can get pretty long on busy days; I've seen the bag checks up to 20 minutes long, and then you have to stand in a second line at the turnstiles to get into the park.

"Weapons" are prohibited at Disney parks, and they, like so many people in urban areas, classify almost any sharp as a "weapon", so leave fixed blades home, and keep your folders in your pockets. They don't seem to pay any attention to multitools on your belt. And naturally, all firearms are prohibited in the parks, even if you have a Florida CCW permit, even if you are an off-duty LEO.

When you do go through the bag check, you will be required to open every compartment of your bags, and to remove it from your person and put it on the table for the Disney security guards to rifle through. Unzip, unbuckle, unsnap every compartment, and remove your bags from your person, while in the line; this will minimize the time you're stopped. Of course, there are always Rocket Surgeons who don't do these simple things, and hold up the line.

For those reasons, I go bagless; anything I carry either fits in my pockets, or hangs from my belt in plain sight. This enables me to use the "Guests with no bags" entrance and skip the bag check line.

Off-topic tip: Disney park passes are credit-card size magnetic strip cards. Unlike most card reader systems, the slots on the turnstiles will read the cards in any direction - face up, face down, stripe on the left, stripe on the right, it's all good. So don't waste any time trying to figure out which direction to face your passes at the turnstile - just put the card in the slot, and it will always work.

Off-topic tip 2: Disney park turnstiles use biometric finger scanners as a security feature; your fingerprint is photographed by the scanner, turned into a complicated 16-digit number, and compared with the 16-digit numbers already on file for that particular ticket. This is to prevent ticket resale or ticket sharing. To smooth park entry, always use the same finger on the reader, always place the finger on the reader at the same angle, and always use the same amount of pressure, so that your print will always generate the same number. NOTE: Disney's computer system is smart; if you bought 4 tickets all at the same place, at the same time, and all 4 go through the turnstiles within seconds of each other during your trip, the computer links the tickets, so if you accidentally mix up your ticket with your wife's, the turnstile will still let you through, even though your fingerprint doesn't match, because it figures that you're all part of a group.

12. youngheart80

youngheart80 Loaded Pockets

To which the obvious question is - if we can do that at the magic kingdom, why not at airports? ;D

For the OP - Mountainsmith Tour would be a great idea. I just got the larger version, the Day, as my new edc and I am loving it. Holds a ton of stuff, great bottle pockets, superb pack.

13. sdg

sdg Loaded Pockets

I just spent two full days in Disneyland with the family. I used my Maxpedition Malaga. This is my second trip to the park and I'm now completely sold on single-strap backpacks. I find that being able to shift if from your back to your front in under a second is ideal for getting into and out of rides all day long. On most rides I didn't even need to take it off.

14. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

great ideas id go loaded belt for festivals etc i go light heavy,no bag but a good belt with maxped 35 pouch which is my wallet and has fak,cards,tools and kinfe ,keys,a 5.11 water bottle folding pouch x2 one for double drink carry or drink x1 and drop pouch for snacks,a rolly polly fodling backpack for right at the end if i carry any goods i get or to load up at the shop and walk back to the camp site,a ameoba for camera

Id make a list of stuff you have to take and then double check it and find the smallest carry to allow this,then have a pm bag at the hotel or car with drinks,food,extended FAK etc

If your set on a fanny pack then id go for the Snugpak response pak
    http://www.ee33.co.uk/3bbrrw2688487/Bags-and-Wallets/Snugpak/Snugpak-Response-Pak/p-281-429-2999
    it holds a bit but is durable but also very light can be word around the waist or cross body

Also its very good due to the fact is use is expanded ,i add mine to the bottom of my Rush24 when camping and hiking ,then it can be either a med roll grab kit or a rehydration and food roll,its has press stud molle,so when you come to rest just pull it from your main pack and have a food break with out going thu the pack
    for me this just helped me make the choice to buy it as i knew id get more use and options for it,also if you have kids and they like to copy ,you have the main bag and they can carry this with little discomfort

15. Cryptic

Cryptic Loaded Pockets

This was not true in my experiences at several parks(in Florida) last month. They only inspect the main compartment, not the multiple smaller ones.

Not in my experience- mine refused to work in the Magic Kingdom for some reason, and required 4x insertion to work.

Once again, absolutely not true in the three Disney parks that I went to last month. When I purchased the tickets, I wasn't scanned, when I entered the park I wasn't scanned- nor were there any visible fingerprint scanners nearby. Perhaps these biometric scanners are only a "feature" of Disneyland in CA and not in Disney World in FL?

16. copierguy_mobile

copierguy_mobile Loaded Pockets

This seems to vary from place to place and also depends on how big the line is. I've had some (overzealous in my opinion) security guards that not only wanted to see in every pocket but also wanted to see inside some pouches that were inside my bag. Other times, just a quick glance into the main compartment with a flashlight is all that's required.

Never had any trouble with mine but my mother-in-law had no end of trouble with hers on our last trip. We figured it out a couple of days into the trip. The first time she used her card, she put her thumb on the scanner instead of her index finger (as she was instructed to do). If she used her thumb, it worked every time but not when she used her index finger.

I can verify that there are biometric scanners at the park entrances on Disney property in Orlando, they are on top of every turnstile. Our last visit was over Christmas last year and they only seemed to be in use about half the time. I don't know if this was due to technical problems or what.

I was in line with a group that objected to the fingerprint scanners on "religious grounds". They were allowed to scan their ticket, show a photo ID and head into the park.

[​IMG]

Sorry to the op for going off topic here.

-Greg

17. subseasniper

subseasniper Empty Pockets

If your taking snacks/water I would recommend going to Walmart and buying a cheap cooler with shoulder strap. I got on for about five dollars and stuck in a couple of ice blocks, kept our wraps and water cool all day and had an expandable lid so i could make the bag smaller as the snacks were depleted.

Not very comfy but handy and I wasnt worrying about some expensive pack getting soaked on the rides or losing it.

18. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Love that pin ... I am a HUGE Disney person .. We are going in Oct. And I am looking for a bag to take. I have the Fatboy, but I like the water feature of the Jumbo.. Thinking about getting one for my birthday in May ..

Do you have a post of the contents of your Jumbo? If not, you should post one .. I might hang my park pins off my bag when we go back .. Could use some new pins :)

As for the topic post ... Its up to you. I could fit everything I needed in my cargo shorts (hand sanitizer, snack bars, poncho, and wallet) .. It all depends on what you are going to carry

19. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

Dang, I wish you had posted that sooner.
    I bought a Maxped Proteus (and a 10x4 Bottle Holder) for $42 and $25. That Snugpak looks like the same thing, but half the price! Oh well :shrug:
    I think it should do what I want it to, hold my keys, wallet, phone, camera, flip camera, sunscreen, cheapo ponchos, snacks, water... etcetera.

Back off topic: I'm pretty sure that DisneyLAND in Cali is NOT using the fingerprint readers... yet. I'll report back March 1st if anybody needs to know.

20. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

As Copierguy Mobile posted, this can vary from guard to guard; official policy is to visually inspect all compartments of a bag, but some guards get lax and only inspect the main compartments, particularly when the lines get long.

As for the tickets, they WILL read in any direction, unless you have a malfunctioning ticket or a malfunctioning turnstile; if yours was not working on a regular basis, then I suspect that you had a malfunctioning ticket. Let me guess - was your ticket coded onto your Key to the World card (i.e. room key)? KTTW cards give the most trouble at the turnstiles.

Biometrics: You are not scanned when you purchase the tickets, only when you use them. The scans are stored from each park entry and over time they build up a database of all the scans; the more times you use a ticket, the more scans the computer has for comparisson. As Copierguy Mobile posted, the finger scanners are installed on every turnstile at every gate of every park in Walt Disney World; however, the finger scanners are sometimes turned off when the lines back up a lot, to speed Guest entrance.

For the record - I've been to Walt Disney World once or twice every year since 1990, but I've never been to Disneyland. However, most WDW park experiences are the same at DLR, except for those affected by the slightly different policies and different layout in Anaheim.

Just be sure it's a soft-sided cooler. Hard coolers are prohibited in Disney parks; so are glass bottles, so be sure that any drinks you bring in are in plastic bottles.