1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Need a backup phone for international use

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by CBRNE, Sep 13, 2017 at 7:31 PM.

1. CBRNE

CBRNE Loaded Pockets

I have my personal iPhone with an international plan, so in MOST Countries I have some kind of service (I travel, a lot). I also have my .gov Blackberry (sigh). However, I want a backup in case my personal phone goes kaput, or I do not want to use/bring it with me.

Something relatively simple, android-based with the capability to work pretty much anywhere that I am where I can buy a local SIM card.

What do you guys think?

2. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Try a used phone purchased online. I realize that's not very specific. I just want a backup phone that the minutes don't expire on.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3. CBRNE

CBRNE Loaded Pockets

I am not opposed to that, I am just looking for specific brand/model recommendations. I have been an iPhone user since 2009, and a blackberry user before that, I have zero knowledge or experience with android based platforms or models.

4. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Oh, well they're all pretty intuitive. I've always been a Motorola phone guy and have never found fault with those. My tablet is a Samsung, and it's probably a more user friendly operation within the settings area, plus they'll with an actual USB flash drive with an inexpensive adapter Samsung makes. My wife has had Samsung phones, and they're very popular in general. They'll all take an SD card. As far as models go, you should really just make the selection based on battery longevity.

CBRNE likes this.
  5. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

When grabbing an old phone for this purpose get one with a regular size sim (yes i know, thats very old) and a bunch of those up-sizing adaptors. That way you maximise compatibility with whatever local card you can source as you probably dont want to have to cut one down to size on the go. Gas-stations and the likes generally don't have the ability to cut down a card for you.

Moshe ben David likes this.