1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Neck knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Barrel, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Barrel

Barrel Loaded Pockets

Was just looking over a couple of threads and came across a thread about neck knives.

Can someone educate me on Why wear a knife around your neck?

It seems to me that it would be an awkward way to carry a knife. It would swing around banging into things as you move unless you wear it under your clothes. Then it is awkward to get to. When you bend over it would dangle down into what you are working with. It would be easy to loose if you had a breakaway chain, but if you had a strong enough lanyard it would be a choking hazard.

Any insight on neck knives would be appreciated. Thanks

2. me_john85

me_john85 Loaded Pockets

I think the main idea of it is basically in a survival situation if you have a fixed blade knife attached to your gear, and you somehow become separated from that gear, whether it got lost or just unavailable, what good is that knife when it is not available.

Now around your neck vs on your belt, I think that is just a matter of where you find it comfortable.

Most people wear neck knifes under their shirt for the exact reason that you mentioned to keep it from snagging and getting hung up, but if you need it is there. I do not like break away lanyards either but I have had some that are very secure and you have to yank the hell out of it before it breaks away. 550 cord will probably choke the hell out of you too if you did get tangled up somehow. Ball and chain I think would break away.

I personally do not carry one around my neck, but its personal preference, and the kind of area I hike in. If i was backpacking in some rough country I would consider it, when I go hiking I do keep a fixed blade handy but the terrain isn't all that difficult.

3. Samuel Sturm

Samuel Sturm Loaded Pockets

Personally, I like the form factor and style of the knifes commonly sold as neck knifes. They're a good size for EDC carry and they often come with skeletonized handles to make cord wrapping or custom scales easier.
    Now, I don't actually like neck carrying them. The vast majority are too heavy, and I can't figure out a way for them to be quickly accessible. With the work that I do, my blade comes out about 15-20 times a day, and it would annoy me to have to fish it out from under my shirt every time.
    Fortunately, they're a great size for pocket or belt carry, so I usually manage to work something out. ;)

Porkfat and ManVsLawn like this.
  4. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

I like neck knives but i don't carry them around my neck,it's hard to get to and uncomfortable to me.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  5. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

I don't like carrying things around in my pockets. A small custom wallet (zippered pouch) for holding folded bills and some change and that's about it.

I've worn a neck knife every day for years and it has not been a problem or a safety concern at any time whether I'm on a big construction site, cooking in a commercial kitchen, or sitting a bar having a few cold ones and having a few laughs with the boys. It is very inconspicuous and no one has ever noticed unless I have decided to draw it for some use. Most people are quite curious and want to know where they can get one. :)

Just be practical and you'll forget it is even there until you need it.

SurvivePenna likes this.
  6. xdglocker

xdglocker Loaded Pockets

For me, the idea of a neck knife is for defense/emergency situations. Carried under your shirt, it gives you a great option as a last resort in a ground fight and other critical times when you are in need of an advantage.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Nighted likes this.
  7. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

Except it's under your shirt and hard to reach,that defeats the purpose to me.

sungame and Barrel like this.
  8. xdglocker

xdglocker Loaded Pockets

Hard to reach? Not really...granted It's not the most accessable place to carry.
    Remember, it's not meant to be deployed from your neck, but from below up from the waistband.
    Last resort means that its not your goto knife/weapon.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Nighted likes this.
  9. Barrel

Barrel Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone for your replies. I still don't understand it but to each his own.

The best reason I have heard of to wear a neck knife is a Coup de Grace knife (either from the Dorsai or T'swa stories, cant remember which. Must go back to read them both), where the knife is used on the wearer by one of his brothers in arms to give the mercy stroke. Then the knife is taken back to his home planet and the blade is buried into his native soil so the blood mixes with the soil and his spirit returns home.

buddha likes this.
  10. RichinVA

RichinVA Loaded Pockets

I find them very handy in a camping type situation. Also nice when you are seated and perhaps cannot reach your clip knife. Being in a vehicle comes to mind, as that's probably where mine gets the most use.

<<< Even when the world is at peace, a gentleman always keeps a blade at his side.
    -The Strategies of Wu. >>>

Nighted and sungame like this.
  11. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I know this is a matter of personal tastes, but this is the first reason I've ever heard that actually makes any sense at all to me.

Wouldn't a pocket knife fill that role? I know it does for me. Whenever I go hiking, I bring a large folder or a fixed blade, but it is not very comfortable to carry a belt sheath with a backpack, so the large knife normally stays in the pack. However, I always carry a smaller blade in my pocket, both because it is accessible with the pack on, and as a backup if I were to lose my pack somehow.

12. deusvult

deusvult Loaded Pockets

I have a CRKT Dogfish riveted just inside the left main zipper of my heavy winter jacket. Great little utility knife. Too bad they stopped making it.

13. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

Laziness, I only neck carry when I want a fixed blade and I am too lazy to put one on my belt or I'm not wearing proper pants with a belt such as gym shorts. I never tuck the knife under my shirt because its usually around my house or yard.

14. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

At work (police duty), I carry a neck knife/folder clipped to my pants' pocket. I keep the necker under my tactical vest -- outta sight, outta mind. The paracording blends in with my dark uniform shirt.

vegassprky likes this.
  15. b yond

b yond Loaded Pockets

I have a Becker Necker attached to my hiking belt. If I had to I could wear it around my neck but it just isn't worth it always being in the way IMHO. Great little fixed blade though. Rides on my belt pack just fine.

Not legal in my state to wear a fixed blade under your shirt. If it were I might give neck knives another chance.

It's sad. I can conceal a gun, just not a fixed blade knife.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

vegassprky likes this.
  16. Chad Kellner

Chad Kellner Loaded Pockets

1st. i'd guarentee that I can pull my neck knife as quick or quicer than any folder in your pockett. 2nd, it is a great "last ditch / on the ground" personal protection. A blade my attacker has no idea I can pull. Try pulling out a folder and opening it up with the oppisite hand. Get them small and you wont even notice it's any more than a necklace your wearing.

Nighted and xdglocker like this.
  17. Chad Kellner

Chad Kellner Loaded Pockets

It's all personal preference obviously, but under my shirt is, again, still quicker than in my pocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I see the actual "tactical" advantage of a neck knife. Cops, firemen, etc.

And I see the "Camping/Adventuring/Trekking" side of it. If worn around your neck, it will most likely never get lost. But one has to have the time and inclination to deal with such hassles. To reference some sort of media connection - Cody from Dual Survival usually had a small pukka style neck knife on the show. It was easy to use (for him), always handy, but he had that slower, steadier approach that granted for a neck knife's use.

But for the life of me, I CANNOT wear anything around my neck. Nothing. I'm kinda a non jewelry kinda guy (Minus 3/4 lobe and lip ring), I don't even own a single watch.

+1 to the others whom enjoy neck knives, but don't sport them on their necks. I enjoy small fixed blades, and have a few "neck" knives, but have never worn/edc'd them on my neck. Most of my knives are worn clipped in pocket or on belt.

Work knife always in my tall sock/boots, and I've recently added another, usually clipped on the inside of my baggies (swim type shorts),

Great "Neck" knives - BK 11/13, CRKT Dogfish, ESEE Candiru (and Izula).....Most of the time, one has to go after a custom kydex sheath. Many (decently priced, "good") knife companies just have really sucky sheaths.

19. Patches13

Patches13 Loaded Pockets

If your carrying a neck knife, you're carrying a concealed weapon; dress accordingly. I've carried one a few times & once it paid off to have it. I used it in a defensive situation that quickly diffused once it was drawn. Long story, to many details that boil down to situational awareness or lack there of on my part. Being I wear a lanyard at work with an ID badge & certain certifications on it I'm pretty used to something around my neck.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk