1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Neck knife suggestions

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Buffalohump, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Buffalohump

Buffalohump Loaded Pockets

I have plenty of knives but the concept of a neck knife has always seemed a little odd to me - until now.

What set me off is the Atwood tanto Goblin, which is real cute and everything but I'm not 100% sure about the size. So I thought I'd look around for a bit first (apart from anything else, it's fun!).

I've had a look at Pat Crawford's current offerings. I'm sure you people are familiar with Pat. I've always wanted a Crawford custom and he has some really cool neckers. The one that took my fancy is the Legionnaire, which goes for $140. It has a 3,5 inch blade, so it's a fair size for a neck knife.

I'm not that 'up' on these little guys but I figured you chaps would be. Any suggestions? Just so you know, I prefer something purely functional, ie, in either plain steel, or cord-wrapped, comes with a kydex sheath and retails for under $150.

Your thoughts/opinions/suggestions are always welcome!

2. jmateer

jmateer Empty Pockets

A Utility Hideaway Knife hits every one of those options you listed.

www.hideawayknife.com

and if you're into martial arts you can even get a trainer for it. It's great for utility because you can hold things in your hand and not have to worry about losing the knife, and great for martial arts because all the normal disarms simply won't work on it.

3. Buffalohump

Thanks for the input. I will put it on my list! :)

4. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

HAK, Subcom FB and Fred Perrin Shark are great knives which all have great retention capabilities.

5. mtnfolk mike

mtnfolk mike Loaded Pockets

neck knives, did somebody say neck knives..... i love em'..... ;D

have you thought about bark river knives.. they make a wide selection of knives to choose from, starting from really small 2 finger knives to big ol' choppers..... you can get kydex sheaths made for just abiout all of them..... i have about 8 bark rivers..... i would recomend the mikro and/or mini-canadian..... let me know if you have anymore questions.... :)

also darrell parent makes some awesome knives at a really decent price..... here is his i.c.e. model...

mike

Attached Files:

6. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

7. Jumpmaster

Jumpmaster Banned

+1 on the HAK...I have three and am in the process of writing an article on them for the EDC Mag.

BTW, they now have the Utility HAK in Duracoat...currently, they only have cordovan (maroon), LEO blue (a little lighter than navy blue) and OD green.  They have others in a DLC (diamond-like coating) that are black for low-glare.  The standard util HAK is a "stonewash" finish...

If you decide to go with them, I think you will be very happy...if you want one quickly, the best idea is to go ahead and measure your fingers (instructions here) and order from "Available Now"...should get it in a few days that way.  If you order from the main page where it lists all the different models, it could take a while...weeks to months.

Good luck...

JM-99

8. Buffalohump

Thanks for all the input. I will mull it over for a while. Don't want to make a hasty decision.

I must confess I have a hankering for the Crawford blade. I prefer a more traditional style handle that I can get a grip on, and I've always wanted to own a Crawford, although most of the range is on the pricey side.

The Crawford neck knives are mostly under $150, which is pretty reasonable for a custom piece with a 3,5 inch blade of S30V steel. They are on the larger side for a neck knife, but still compact with a lot of cutting power.

Check it out and tell me whatcha think: www.crawfordknives.com/neck_knives.htm

9. Badgerboy

Badgerboy Empty Pockets

The HAK is the way to go....but then I have seven of them. :-X

Cliff

10. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

11. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

spyderco spot always looked like fun.

12. tarrigoni

tarrigoni Empty Pockets

I had a legionnaire. Just sold it. I liked it but after being used to a HAK it seemed like quite a large neck knife. Very light though.

13. Buffalohump

Chances I won't wear it all the time. I usually carry a Spyderco Para-Military but there are times when I might want something more discreet or a back-up to the PM.

I like the 'tactical' nature of Pat's work. And I think his prices are more than fair. The Atwood stuff is also very reasonably priced, but I would prefer a bit more handle on the Goblin. I've seen a drop point version of it on the forums but it doesn't seem to appear on his site. I'll ask him about it.

14. BigTony

BigTony Empty Pockets

You may want to check the two neck knife offerings from Randall King: The Snitch and The Syphon   http://www.randallkingknives.com/knives.htm
    They are made of ATS-34 steel and I believe you can find them for decent prices ( I regularly see the Snitch on Ebay for $35 and the Syphon for about $50). I'm not saying the Crawford blades arent nice, heck I'd loe to carry one, but I myself have been giving a long hard thought to picking up a Snitch. Seems like a decent price for a decent knife.
      Good luck!
    Tony

15. Buffalohump

Had a look at the Randall King stuff. Not bad at all for the price.

I saw one of those little Jim Burke knives on Arizona Custom Knives for $275. That's a lotta cabbage for a 4 inch knife!

I like Burke's designs though, very functional. Couldn't see any prices on his site though... (sorry, I know I'm digressing here).

I guess I'm looking for something a little bigger than what most people would consider for a neck knife. I tend to prefer larger knives, or should I say knives with plenty of handle. It's the reason I took to the Para-Military. Although the overall knife is not large, it's got plenty of handle.

This is my chief concern with a HAK and knives of that ilk, although I have not handled one. Unfortunately, our knife shops here are very poor in terms of selection, so I couldn't even test drive one. Lately, I get all of my bladeware from the USA (Knifeworks, TADgear, etc).

16. Jumpmaster

Jumpmaster Banned

If you don't get at least one HAK, you're really missing out. I have never read of anyone that did not like theirs. There may be people that don't, but I've never seen any complaints on any of the forums I'm on...usually, you hear of people that have multiple ones.

But...to each his own. If you don't get a HAK, that's one more for me that I can buy. ;D

JM-99

17. mtnfolk mike

mtnfolk mike Loaded Pockets

you should check out darrell parent's knives... very resonably priced for custom knives.... he was trained by newt livesay, one of my all time favorite knife makers.... i got that 3 in.. neck-style knife pictured in the above post, for $60 ;D plus shipping...it's his i.c.e. model... i also like his LZ model... i think that is going to be my next purchase... :)

here is his site....   www.mtsequoyahknives.com

also check out  www.dlttradingcompany.com  for a nice selection of bark river knives.... i like the mikro-canadian...... i have a nice kydex sheath for it.. it is perfect for neck carry or pocket carry..... it's been my EDC knife since i got it....

good luck.... mike :D

Attached Files:

18. knightrider

knightrider Empty Pockets

What about a Spyderco Spot? You can probably find one on ebay really cheap. Check it out! I have the serrated version and I messed up and cut the tip of my finger really deep with no effort. A very scary SD knife. Not sure on the real utility use of it, seems like it wouldn't be that great for much else but that. Or a Spyderco Ronin neck knife? Both are scary sharp!

Can you tell I like Spydercos yet? :)

19. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

There's also a special edition of the Spyderco SPOT with a wharncliffe blade. It's called the Swick.

20. Chuck G.

Chuck G. Empty Pockets

I have a REKAT Utility. Its a great knife and it comes with a decent kydex sheath. I have a HAK but I don't like it. I haven't warmed up to the capsule yet. I just need to carry it more and practice getting it into action.

Don't hate me for being honest you HAK groupies. :lolhammer: