1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Nebo Redline Select flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by squid86, Jul 12, 2013.

1. squid86

squid86 Loaded Pockets

My local hardware store has this flashlight and it seems to be what I am looking for. I'm looking for a nightstand flashlight that I can grab and go if I hear a bang in the night. I like the features it has such as setting the mode to what you want before you turn it on instead of cycling through clicks. I also like the surefire like tactical grip on it so j can use with my pistol. 310 lumens. Come to think of it there isn't really anything I don't like about it. I searched online and found they retail for $50 and my local hardware store is selling it for $32 on sale. I want to grab one but I haven't heard much about them.

So is the Nebo Redline Select any good? Its got everything I want in a nightstand light and just wanna know if there is anything I should watch out for. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR cuz robots are cooler than fruit.

2. Varmitslayer

Varmitslayer Loaded Pockets

I like them but they seem to loose power over time changing batteries helps in no way, and I knocked mine out of my pocket (while kneeling) and the plastic redline on mine busted. Also the 310 lumens they claim isn't right it's closer to 100 (That's out of the box now after a year it's dramatically less). For the price I would rather get something like a Fenix E21.

3. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

The losing power over time might be due to issues with the heat sink.

There are a couple stories about performance degrading over time with the Nebo on the BudgetLightForum.

ATB,
    Sam

4. alex fekete

alex fekete Loaded Pockets

I purchased one at my local hardware store for the same price and I LOVE it. Granted I do not have experience with any of the expensive brands, but I've had mine for a couple of months now and it kicks butt! Brighter than my 3 cell maglight with the niteyez led, way brighter than my 2 cell aa maglight also with the led upgrade. This is my go to flashlight when I need to see clearly at a distance in the dark. I don't think you'll find a brighter light for the money.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  5. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

My 220 lm Redline metered at 40 lms on flood and 25 lms on throw - 3 Eneloops. Probably went through 3 battery changes over a year before I measured it. Not sure if the output degraded, or was like that out of the box - seems too dim (even at 2-3x higher) to be heat sink problem though.... Agree with getting a cheap Fenix, Foursevens, Eagletac, Thrunite

6. squid86

squid86 Loaded Pockets

thanks guys. the sad thing is this will be my most expensive flashlight buy, lol. im used to cheap little ones that work for awhile and then crap out. my most expensive (and brightest) flashlight i own is my Streamlight Microstream. plus this is strictly a light for checking the house in the middle of the night. i had a cheapy little one for this until it bit the dust and have been using my cell phone camera light for now, lol. i have a limited budget and all too. if all i have to worry about is that it will fade over time then im fine with that, im used to cheapy ones anyways.

is there an alternative to this that has close to the same features? i like the different brightness, strobe, adjustable zoom, rear glow button, and the little thing on the bacck that is sort of like the surefire combatgrip.

7. batteryguru

batteryguru Loaded Pockets

I'm in not trying to be an elitist, but having had Nebo products forced upon me by corporate for a few years now, I can objectively say that the return/warranty rate nears 15% in their lights.

Subjectively, the only lights I can recommend from them are their $10 counter specials such as 'the Larry'. The value there isn't terrible for the price point. Their "premium" offerings suffer from the same quality issues that the cheap ones do, namely terrible switches and poor fit that causes contact issues.

For a little more than you would spend on the discounted Redline, you could put together a solid P60 light that would obliterate anything Nebo has to offer. Truthfully, I would sooner grab a Trustfire from DX than take home a Nebo at cost. Even my old stand-by 100 lumen EagleTac P20a2 edc pocket light would find itself in service as my nightstand tac light before I trusted a Nebo.

That said, the price isn't bad if that is the light you're wanting.

8. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Nightstand light? Bump in the night? Want it to ABSOLUTELY work when you ABSOLUTELY need it? Spend a little and pick up a Surefire. Here's an inexpensive one. If you hear a bump in the night and your nightstand light goes "click" and stays dark, another $30 won't matter. My oldest Surefire is maybe 5 years old now and still on the original batteries. Works every single time.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/surefire-g2x-pro-flashlight-dual-output-led-320-lumens.html?gclid=CMW84-_PwbgCFcN_QgodWH0AZQ&ef_id=UexfFwAAAJGFA@gH:20130721222215:s

reppans likes this.
  9. LRex
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

LRex Loaded Pockets

10. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

As mentioned before, for a "Bump in the Dark" light, spend the cash now for good quality, rather than cutting corners with your life, or someone else's.

Surefire LED offerings are good; Malkoff drop-ins are also good. Anything else would give me pause; especially an off-name brand that doesn't have a substantial reputation of quality and performance behind it - especially given your intended purpose.

11. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

No offense DK, but this statement sounds kinda strange as a reliability/durability endorsement ;-)

12. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Haven't had to change them. No parasitic drain, no battery leaks, no failures. Put away a flashlight for a year then try to fire it up. Are you ABSOLUTELY sure it'll turn on? That's what I mean.

(And I know there's no offense meant, thus the clarification.) ;)