1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Natural Disaster Batteries

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by nick nitro, Sep 13, 2017 at 8:06 AM.

1. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

We just came through the backside of Irma, live in north-central Florida. We lost power for three days and had to dig out the hurricane kit. I had a commercial pack of batteries that were stored since 2001 from my days as a bomb technician. They were date coded to use by March 2003. They were alkaline D cells from a popular company that has a copper colored ring around the top. I put them in a 2 cell mag-lite that ran for 7 continuous hours. That's not a typo, seven hours. The flashlight was hot as a firecracker but keep going.

I was absolutely stunned. The entire kit was always in a climate controlled environment not subject to moisture or temp changes. Sixteen years is impressive to me.

Moshe ben David, WillAdams and twin63 like this.
  2. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

Alkalines are a mixed bag, but I've found that decent C and D cells don't seem to leak as much as AA for some reason.

Though, stable storage temps probably help a lot. I'm glad they worked for you.

I like lights that can use alkalines in a pinch. I have plenty of Eneloops and some lithiums but it's also nice to be able to grab a pack at virtually any store when I'm traveling as well.

Some folks try and rationalize that during bad weather conditions conventional cells are the first to sell out, but I've never had that problem and I've lived through plenty of storms that knocked out power for numerous days.

However, if it ever got to the point where stores where that completely barren in an emergency situation, likely we'd have far bigger problems to worry about than powering our lights.

3. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

like nick nitro... 3 days without power ... central Gulf coast 35mi north of St Pete, about 3 miles inland... the eye wall had pretty much deteriorated when it got here... 90mph straight line reported, around 76 measured... ran the gen set to chill the refrigerator about 1 hour every six... the Solar Force Z2 single AA Eneloop powered task light lived in my pocket, and the Black Diamond headlamp 3 AA Eneloops worked above and beyond... if you get a head lamp, get one with a center top strap...I just ordered a 4 slot Nitecore to speed the charging process ... I have a 2 slot Nitcore now... I stuck the in-service Eneloops on the charger every time I ran the genset... AA Eneloops in two small Coleman area lights... I will rely on the gensets more now that I've seen the service they provided...

#3 les snyder, Sep 14, 2017 at 7:39 AM
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017 at 7:56 AM
  4. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Nitecore have recently released an 8 slot.

5. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

I have lithium AA's in my emergency kit for my higher power lights, Eneloop batteries for my day to day use and a few cheep Eveready Dolphin PICO LED Torch and Energizer 4 LED Metal Torch (2AA) laying about that provide plenty of light and run for ages even with partially used alkaline batteries.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@nick nitro: that is pretty impressive. Although I got to tell you given how you describe your storage, I'm not excessively surprised. I was involved with manufacture of a 'kissing cousin' of cells for a number of years -- electrolytic capacitors. (They really are cousins in terms of construction..) Stored properly so that they're not stimulated to leak I'm not surprised the charge was retained.

Very cool.

Glad to hear you've come through the storm; hope whatever recovery efforts you need to do to house and hearth are not too painful!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

Glad to hear your batteries worked for you after long storage. My experience with leaking alkalines and flashlights has been so bad that I will stick with lithiums as much as I can. 6V and 9V alkalines seem to fare the best for me and they are the only ones I use with any regularity.

turbo6 in my past experience with power outage situations AAs and D batteries have sold out. It does seem like retailers are getting better at resupply in more recent years so it may not be as much of an issue now.Probably depends on where you live and the number of stores available. I would venture a guess that the majority of EDCforums members probably have a decent supply of whatever batteries they use anyway.I know I tend to go overboard myself in that department.

8. Moshe ben David

Not just the number of stores available. Throughout the supply chain, both retail and B-2-B, inventories are managed in a much more reasonable way than in years gone by. Really reduces the probability of 'stale' items in stock! Or, for you non-supply chain geeks (I include myself in this group!), think of it as a beneficial result of 'just in time'!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ZMZ67 likes this.
  9. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

That makes sense. They seem to be able to respond better to short term high demand than in the past,restocking in a more timely manner.

10. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

What are gen sets?

11. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

/\ gen sets are how the in the know folks refer to generators. There are reasons they are deployed in sets.

On just in time ordering, let's face it that the private sector has post-disaster recovery down to a near-science. We had a neighborhood-sized flood at about 0100... At 1000, Walmart had pallets of dehumidifiers, fans and other goodies on the floor. The drive time to the nearest distribution center was five hours, so they knew how to do business.

12. Moshe ben David

Wal Mart in particular have earned a real reputation for being able to get disaster relief supplies into an impacted area faster than almost anyone. I recall that during Katrina they moved so fast that no govt agency could keep up with them!

We may all scoff at many things on a day to day basis with Wal Mart, but they and a few others (I'm thinking of Home Depot for example) really get their supply chain in gear for these events!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David