1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by mightywombat, Mar 15, 2012.

1. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

2. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

i hadn't heard anything about that in a while. i thought it got shot down. glad to see its still pushing it's way through. i really hope it passes!

3. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I think it's a good idea. Be better if it would allow carry in any state, regardless of local laws. The Constitution is for all US citizens, and every citizen should have equal rights, regardless of home state.

4. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I'll give him a call. I still vote in every US election.

5. Tarponfly49

Tarponfly49 Loaded Pockets

Hope it passes...until then, my Florida license is about as good as it's gonna get. ;)

6. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

It would allow anyone with a concealed permit to carry in any state. You would still have to follow local laws that restrict carry in certain areas, but they can not stop you from carrying all together.

7. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

As far as I know, there's only one state left that doesn't have some sort of permit system (Illinois, okay and Vermont but they're a different story in that they actually follow the Constitution). Some states are beginning to back off of their reciprocity agreements. This law would create universal reciprocity between states that issue permits, just like drivers licenses are now uniform.

I find zero likelihood that Obama would sign this bill but a new president or 2/3 majority would make that moot. Last I heard it was doing well in both houses. The Hoplophobes in congress are a vocal but small minority.

8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

And the media is on their team, too. Funny how that small minority still gets their way so often by just being so loud. :/

9. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Not to throw fuel on the fire but it also seems like the feds are removing or overriding another of the states right to make their own laws. I'd like to also state that I'm in favor of the Reciprocity Act. Just saying.

10. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't. I agree with you that the federal government should let the states govern themselves. However, when states fail to honor the Constitution, or fail to play nice with other states, sometimes federal intervention is necessary.

I feel this is one of those cases for both reasons. Every American should be allowed to carry a gun, pending a background check. Also some states only honor permits from certain states and not others, which isn't fair considering the laws concerning the permits are basically the same between all states.

11. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

The NRA has been fighting for this for years. It makes sense; if you are deemed okay to carry concealed in one state, what would make you ineligible in another?
    Kilted you are right, if the state does not issue a concealed carry permit you would not be allowed to carry in that state. Illinois and DC do not issue concealed permits at this time. I believe Hawaii, New Jersey, and Maryland have confusing carry laws as well.

12. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Actually, Hawaii's law regarding concealed carry is pretty straightforward. Stupid, but straightforward. It says that the Chief of Police may issue... And that wording has been ruled to mean that if you want a carry permit, it can be issued by the police chief of your county, but that your request can be refused for any, or no reason. This effectively means that you can't get a CCW permit in Hawaii.

13. mwestjeeper

mwestjeeper Loaded Pockets

Yup, we are only for Fed laws that trump state laws, when we prefer the Fed law. If we don't like the Fed law, we believe that states should have the right to govern themselves. Didn't ya know that?

14. mwestjeeper

mwestjeeper Loaded Pockets

And unless you take a boat there, or go through the hassle to ship your weapon, pretty tough to carry anyway as most of us get to HI by commercial flight.

15. parkerdude

parkerdude Loaded Pockets

As I get older I seem to trust less.

A short Google search led me to several reviews of this Senate bill, an underlying current seems to be establishing a national database of CCW licensee's to confirm their validity.

I don't travel enough anymore to warrant putting my name on a national database willfully.

I still don't trust our government enough with that kind of information, someone WILL abuse it !

I thought about providing links, but I think you will learn more if you look for yourself.

Personally, I'll keep my name to myself.

This is the Senate bill I searched for and that we were talking about.

"H.R. 822: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011"
    Please....
    Search it, read it, and post your opinion. This is how we get stronger.

Sniperx7 likes this.
  16. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Believe me I think we're already on one list or another with the gov't. Never read the bill but it seems like the feds taking away the states rights again. JMHO