1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Narrowed It Down, But Still Need Some Help

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by savage_here, Oct 26, 2010.

1. savage_here

savage_here Loaded Pockets

I just finished putting together a car bag/GHB for my wife's car. I ended up going with a Kelty Peregrine 1800 and it worked out really well.

While I was putting together her stuff, I supplemented/replaced some of my load-out as well. While doing so I realized that the bag I was using for the car is a little small for what I'd like to hold. So, I started doing some research for a new bag for myself.

Currently I use an ancient black backpack that I think my have been an Eagle Creek (all markings or patches have long since come off). I thought I might use my recently-acquired Eagle Industries Becker Patrol Pack. But, as I've examined that bag, I just don't think it's right for the kind of stuff I'll be carrying and the sub-load pouches that I have already put together. So, it stays in the closet for now to be used for camping, etc. (or to be sold at a later date).

I also have a Rush72, but it's too big for what I'm trying to put together.

Ideally, I think I'm shooting for something in the 2000-2100 cu in range based on the items I need to have in there. I prefer clamshell design or 3/4 panel loaders instead of top-loaders. Since I could potentially use it as a GHB, I think I'd like a waistbelt of some sort in case I had to jog or run at any point. Or, if I needed to travel quietly without the pack moving around. However, I don't really think I'd need the waistbelt to be true load-bearing since I don't envision this bag as a heavy hauler.

So, I've narrowed it down to some possibilities and picked a couple of front-runners. But, I'd like to see if anybody has any choices to add, any further info/commentary on the choices presented or any reasons to discount/eliminate any of the options.

Here's what I have so far:

Camelbak Trizip
    Plus:
    Bladder included.
    Full clamshell-ish design
    Padded waistbelt

Minus:
    Slightly larger than I’m looking for (2318 cu in)

5.11 Rush24
    Plus:
    Very well organized
    Size (2070 cu in)
    Full clamshell design

Minus:
    No waist belt

Tactical Tailor Modular Operator
    Plus:
    Layout/Shape
    High-Vis interior
    Has waistbelt, but only thin nylon one (non-padded)
    Size almost perfect for my use (2034 cu in)
    Price

Minus:
    No internal organization

Diamondback Tactical 3-day Assault
    Plus:
    Price
    Nice design, nice looking

Minus:
    Says “optional” waistbelt; can’t tell if it’s included or not
    Can’t figure out the size of this damned thing (volume)

Spec Ops T.H.E.
    Plus:
    Nice design/look/layout
    High-Vis interior
    Has waistbelt, but only thin nylon one (non-padded)

Minus:
    Size a little larger than I need (2550 cu in)

Kifaru Marauder
    Plus:
    Bulletproof

Minus:
    COST!!!
    No Internal organization
    Have to pay extra for a waistbelt
    Size a little large (2500 cu in)

The stuff I listed as plus and minus are for my purposes only and may not apply to others (or, may just be just plain wrong!). My two frontrunners are the TT Modular Operator and the 5.11 Rush24 with the TT pack leading by a little because of the high-vis interior and waistbelt.

What else should I be considering?

Thanks

Savage

2. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

Mystery Ranch has a couple of packs in the 2000 cu in range, same downside as Kifaru- cost, but they do include a waistbelt in the cost

if your looking for just a solid carrying, non tactical 2000 cubic inch pack- the Osprey Talon (and a few other Osprey offerings as well) might be worth looking into

3. savage_here

savage_here Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the Mystery Ranch info. I've looked at a couple, but pricing is scaring me away.

Still leaning heavily toward the TT Modular Operator. Anybody want to talk me out of that one for any specific reasons????