1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Namiki (pilot) retractable nib pen...

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by smokelaw1, May 11, 2009.

1. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Loaded Pockets

I love this pen, just reviewed it for Amazon....thought I'd share. Not really a full review, more musings in memory of it.....

I have owned this pen for almost 10 years. It has gone through more than ANY fine writing instrument should, and has been my "workhorse" fountain pen, living in my shirt pocket nearly every day, and it wrote all but two law school finals, and my essay portion on the bar exam...I love it and feel very attached to it.
    This morning, my one year old daughter got a hold of it, and played a fun game of "smash it repeatedly on the tile floor." The pen finally broke. It has gone through the wash (twice), been on my body when I was hit by a taxi...leaving a pen-shaped bruise on my chest, had the medium nib smashed by a drunk in a bar (while in the pen, after it was yanked, without permission, from my pocket), and had the fine nib jammed into the webbing between my fingers by a different drunk (friend) in my home. And then a one year old simply beat it to death. Ahhh...memories.

I'll be buying another just as soon as I decide if I should get a new color.

2. sld

sld Loaded Pockets

They are great pens. I have one my wife gave me for Christmas 6 or 7 years ago. It rotates between shirt pocket and bag carry but is in one or the other every day. I gave her one when the Ice Blue ones came out a couple of years ago. It's been an EDC in her purse ever since.

3. cl0123

cl0123 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the review. I have been using a Lamy Safari for a few months and ready to move on to something with a little more weight and a fine nib. I did not even realize there are retractable fountain pens.

With Aloha,

Clarence

4. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Loaded Pockets

One thing to keep in mind if you go this eroute (this used to be true, I'd confirm before purchase) is that these nibs are sized like japanese nibs. Fine is a US X-Fine. It is quite a fine point. I love it, but some might find it too fine.

5. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Empty Pockets

You only have just the one then? :shocked:

[img width=640 height=470]http://www4.gvsu.edu/triert/images9/namikis1.jpg[/img]

;)

6. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Loaded Pockets

Actually, yes, LOL.....for some reason, when it comes to writing instruments, I purposfully do NOT own duplicates. I don't know why.
    I own multiples of knives, flashlights, etc....just not pens and pencils.
    I do own a number of different nibs, though.

Do they still make the Namiki FP?

7. RichK

RichK Empty Pockets

They are great pens, I've used one model or another for over 10 years. My current favorite model is the Decimo -- it is a little thinner and more comfortable to me. You can read a review (not mine) here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13108

Not as easy to find, but I found it worth the effort. Another nice feature is that you can change the nib to fit your mood. You can order additional, fancy nibs at http://www.richardspens.com/. His ground nibs are great and its fun to switch to an italic of stub for some variation.

Best,
    Rich

8. jymkym1

jymkym1 Loaded Pockets

What is the best online store to purchase the "Namiki" ?? thanks

9. PenRx

PenRx Loaded Pockets

you can also get "fancy" nibs for these ground at www.penrx.ca

Hey thats me! :woohoo:

Cheers,
    Sean

10. Hoodoo