1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Name your special ONE and ONLY knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by allineedtocarry, Feb 17, 2016.

1. allineedtocarry

allineedtocarry Loaded Pockets

Recently I got into a discussion with my son who wants to get another SAK beside his Vic Hiker.
    He said he just wants a new one because he had his current for quite a while.
    This Hiker had been on him for the past 4 years. He did several small projects with it and it never failed on him, as he said. And then he has no problem of throwing it, not literally, away like garbage as if it doesn't mean a thing to him.

I, on the other hand, use one single knife until it fails on me. Just this one knife, in my case a Swisstool Spirit, for every job I can do with it. The jobs I cannot use it for, can only be done with dedicated tools ;-). I don't see my SAKs, not many that I had over the last 23 years, as tools but as true companions. I used everyone of them until they got stolen or broke down.

So my question is: Is your knife a tool or a companion and what knife means the most to you?

Regards AllINeedToCarry

Nick4305 likes this.
  2. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

Both. It's a tool that accompanies me :D. Seriously I own many knives just cause I like them, but One knife that is on me 99% of the time is a Vic Pioneer.

3. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

The one and only user i have among my aloxs is a silver Farmer.
    That's the only one i consider a tool and a companion. I use it several times daily for a number of different tasks.
    All the other aloxs (a bit too much SWMBO says...) are shelf queens and part of a NIB collection i'm growing up with/for my son.

Shike likes this.
  4. rushane

rushane Loaded Pockets

I don't think I've ever seen an object as a companion. My family, obviously. My dogs, certainly. But not my truck, nor my boots, nor my knife. I agree with you to a point--I once realized that I had several $100-300 folders that all did the same thing. I slimmed my modern folders down to four with the self promise of "buy one, sell one" too keep myself in check.

That being said, if you do feel that way, you're not hurting anyone and it's fine in my book to have an emotional connection to an object, it certainly isn't uncommon. If you feel it's important to teach your son that buying multiple versions of basically the same thing is the ugly side of consumerism, more power to you and good parenting.

But I'd warn that maybe he is still finding what works for him. Especially a SAK, especially at a young age.

Shike and surefire7 like this.
  5. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

My best companion is the Victorinox Classic, it's a gift from my girlfriend. I don't have it long time (only a couple of months) but I believe I'll have it for the rest of my life. I abuse knives for testing purposes and if I don't like/want them anymore, but I don't abuse the knives that mean to me. Yes, I use the Classic everyday as a tool and I don't baby it.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mine are both Tool and Companion and my favorite is the one I have with me when I need it usually.

But then I am easy that way too.

I probably get the most use out of my Swisstool Spirit X though.

GrayMouser likes this.
  7. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

My knives are more than tools because nearly every one is modified; anodized, new scaled, reshaped blade or anything else. I've spent time on making them the way.
    I'd gift them to someone who'd really use it or value it but I'd only throw them away when I really messed them up during modding. I think I never really threw one away though but I keep the parts for cannibalizing :p
    So much for companionship, flesh of my flesh ;)

Shike and TDS like this.
  8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Collectively, mine are tools. HOWEVER... when I find myself without at least one of them on me I feel very lonely.

Although I don't have one that stays with me instead of on rotation, I'd say my favorite really is my full size Case trapper -- and its cousin the yellow Case peanut.

Strange I wrote that -- I have multiple SAK's; multiple Spyderco in both PE and SE. But those two traditionals are the ones I love the most... :hug:

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

c_nieporte, Shike and GrayMouser like this.
  9. allineedtocarry

rushane I think you got me wrong. By companion I mean something, not in the sense of a living being, that accompanies you. Something you miss, not like you would miss a loved one, when it is not there.

My son can have every knife he wants, as long as it is affordable and legal ;-). But the point is he does not want a new knife because of some functions he misses but solely because it would be more shiny. He even rejected the option of new scales because it would be a waste of money, in his eyes, if the scales cost nearly as much as a new knife. Maybe I'm just old, or not quite right in the head, but for me a knife is something I can get sentimental about.

Regards AllINeedToCarry

GrayMouser, Lens and Adahn like this.
  10. troutster52

troutster52 Loaded Pockets

I am the type of guy that gets attached to things. My one buddy is always looking for the latest and greatest, and mostly dissatisfied with what he has, no matter how awesome. I am the opposite. The longer I have and use something, the more attached I am. I have lost or broken a few EDC items that I had to replace with the exact same type, even though I could probably afford an upgrade. I think that there is a value in learning to take care of and appreciate having nice things, but I also think that some types of collecting are more about appreciating the art form than the utility. Knives and watches can be those, I think.

11. allineedtocarry

Before the Swisstool Spirit X I had a Leatherman Skeltool CX which only got replaced because it fell apart after I put it trough some fence-building-jobs.

Regards AllINeedToCarry

Shike likes this.
  12. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I think you're "just old", not in a negative sense though. When I was young I had a little folder that I found on the street, it was my first edc knife and I really liked it. Then I lost it somewhere but never tried to get another one (now I would). I also had a locking Victorinox knife that I got gifted from my dad, I think I lost it on somewhere in Thailand, never had the feeling that I need the same one again, even though it served me well.
    Today knives mean more to me and I like to tinker with knives but also repair what I can (even my computer mouse) but I guess that's really something you learn with time. Maybe the things he made with the knife mean more to him then the tool itself, I think that's a good start :)

Shike and allineedtocarry like this.
  13. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

my old red cross alox Victorinox Farmer. I once got it gifted. We built great stuff together, and it even got run over by a truck (there it lost its keychain ring, but it just made it better). When I lost it and wanted to know what model it was I found this place I started buying all kinds of stuff you people presented here. Then I found it again after a winter in the mud. and did not need the rest anymore. best knife ever.

I owned and lost a million red cellidor SAKs of all types over the years. they are overabundant and I always found another one for free. just after I found that one formerly red alox Farmer, I was convinced that this was the best SAK ever. I loved it right from the start. the toolset was and is perfect for me. before I got it, I never saw an alox SAk before. and I never met somebody else who had one like this. the shape is slightly different and it felt so right in the hand..

I retired it now for fear of losing it again (and have another new farmer and a huntsman in different jackets for EDC), but this old red farmer is the one.

teach your son how to sharpen his own knife, engrave something together and make him proud to have it (I lost my first sak with my name engraved that my dad gave me (still have a scar, though :) ).. this will or might happen and is not all bad. I was crushed with my 9 years. and I did not get a new one so soon, lol)

if he just wants something different, get him an opinel, so he can carve that one with his SAK and make it truly his own. those are different enough. just another new SAK model will lead to.. you know.. you ended here..

Last edited by flux, Feb 17, 2016
    Shike, jabe1, GrayMouser and 2 others like this.
  14. Airborne 1

Airborne 1 Loaded Pockets

I believe it goes deeper than I want a new knife and I would throw the old one away to get it...If you are going to buy him a new one teach him to gift his old one. If he is going to buy it ,let him do it !...It's his money.
    I, like you, carry them till there worn out... I have certain knives that mean some thing to me,But I don't use them as beaters...

2 Panther

Shike likes this.
  15. rushane

rushane Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I may have misunderstood you. Push for the g10 scales with a pocket clip on a two or three layer SAK. Makes a good tool great! Heck, make them with him!

Shike likes this.
  16. koni

koni Loaded Pockets

I have a bunch of knives all of them do slightly different jobs. I would ask, what is he dissatisfied with about the current knife? Is there a job that it doesn't do well? Is there a function he needs or wants? What makes up his ideal knife? Also a good time to explain about how advertisers develop a false sense of need and then exploit it to get paid.

Shike likes this.
  17. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I have been through a lot of fixed and folder EDC knives. The one that I keep carrying again and again is the Kershaw Specbump. I like the size and weight. It's not as big as some of my folders but it does everything well for me with that crazy Ken Onion recurve design. When it was discontinued I bought about ten extras and they are all still new in the box.

Shike likes this.
  18. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

If I would have to live with only one; it would be my ESEE 6 Clip point.

Shike likes this.
  19. GrayMouser

GrayMouser EDC Junkie!!!!!

If I had to pare it down to only one it would probably be my Delica. Perfect size, and if I ever lost or broke it, I'd probably order two to replace it.

Sounds like the OP's son is coming down with a case of new knife acquisition syndrome.;)
    Something that many on here suffer from.

Moshe ben David and Shike like this.
  20. jabe1

jabe1 Loaded Pockets

Discussions like this make me feel old.
    I've had the same old cross, red pioneer for about 30 years. It's worn holes in a lot of jeans pockets. Now it rides on a P7 suspension clip. It gets pocket carry whenever I'm not at work.
    I have many other pocket knives, but I usually reach for the Pioneer.

Mumbojumboo, Shike and Nick4305 like this.