1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Name change request?

Discussion in 'Account Changes' started by gear_queer, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gear_queer

gear_queer Loaded Pockets

This argument might be completey obsolete when an admin decides if it is appropriate or not. But look into how the word "queer" is used on television or what it means in the dictionary. I'm all for political correctness but I think condemning the term gear queer is over the top PC. I know for a fact that the homosexual community has no problem with it.
    Also there is the context of this particular use. I'm referring to myself as "queer". What is the issue with that? Who has the right to tell me it's offensive to reffer to myself as queer? My argument (if this is an issue at all) is that in this context it is void of being offensive.

Last edited by phil_kelly, Nov 7, 2014
  2. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Memoria in Aeterna

I don't think anyone was condemning your choice of username, merely alerting you to the fact you might not get your wish. Personally, I have no problem with it and racist, misogynistic or homophobic attitudes are not tolerated here. Since the name change hasn't happened yet Admins may be consulting with each other. Might I suggest that you PM one of them?

phil_kelly likes this.
  3. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am a straight male, not white. And yes I am. I grew up in the South and I have a visceral reaction to the "N-word". The other racial/ethnic slurs, not so much - but that's a commentary on social conditioning, I suppose, rather than relative offensiveness.

I've also known a few homosexuals and a couple of them would have objected strenuously to the use of the word by non-homosexuals. Clearly, you have had different experiences.

ALL OF THAT SAID, I don't give a :censored: what you call yourself. But this is a forum that bans the common slang that sounds like sheep and people. Because it is derogatory and condescending to some groups. In light of that, what are the odds they'll approve "queer"?

I am, of course, happy to be wrong - my actual emotional investment in the outcome is fairly close to nil.

kertap75 likes this.
  4. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

Obviously...and I have no problems with green people either.

baconboyrlz likes this.
  5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

If the name hasn't been changed it because no one who is in charge of that has gotten to it. I reported it in the proper place for Staff to see it at 6:20 PM yesterday and their has been no comments afterward.

Personally, I don't care. I don't feel that the N word is a good comparison though. It seems an entire race has coopted the use of the word and claim exclusivity. Both words have meanings listed in the dictionary but the N word have been redifined as a derogatory meaning, where as queer has its meaning and it really hasn't changed. I referred to gays as queer back in the 80's but its more the norm now and I don't use the word, both because I don't want to have my meaning misconstrued to mean something derogatroy, and because, again, its not so out of norm anymore.
    Can we get off of the subject and quit arguing now? All this dissension on the subject isn't going to help the matter. I felt like locking the thread to keep the arguement at bay, but that would most certainly show that the name might not be handled well, when in fact I don't think it'll be a problem at all. I think its rather clever personally :)

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  6. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

Seriously? I heard the were having a summit meeting over it. I've got to get some new sources.

7. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Memoria in Aeterna

And there is a member named Cornholio.:)

vegassprky, thePlumbah and CatsTide like this.
  8. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

None of this bun fighting would have happened if my plan was put into action. Just saying.:p

thePlumbah and baconboyrlz like this.
  9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

For those of you who weren't aware...this is what THe Cone is on about :p
    I think its cool :)

ManVsLawn and baconboyrlz like this.
  10. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just stumbled on to this request. Here is what the Urban Dictionary has to offer for a definition(s) of "gear queer":

1. Gear Queer
    Military Lingo - A person who always wants the newest scope, site, rail system, or thing that they will never end up using. They will even spend money acquiring this stuff knowing full well they will never use it. They are usually RANGER/SF wanna be's.

Ex. Look at PFC Clark over there with his new M4 Pistol Grip. He is such a gear queer!

2. gear queer
    A person who has a wealth of equipment they really can't use to it's extent. Usually a newbie or somebody who hopes to gain social stature through owning this equipment.

Ex. It's clear Jimmy is a gear queer - Look at all that gear he has hanging on his rack - He's only been climbing for a week or two!

3. Gear Queer
    One of those people (man or woman), usually not very athletic, who requires extensive amounts of "gear" for their sport of choice. For example, a biker with the spandex jersey, the spandex shorts, color coordinating helmut, water bottle, and fingerless gloves etc. These guys are usually NOT in shape, which provides us with evidence that they just went out and bought up all of the gear for looks.

Ex. Any athlete with lots of gear, would be a "gear queer"

As such, the name change should be a non issue unless someone chooses to make it an issue.

Thread has been locked. Thanks for your understanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.