1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Nalgene bottles

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by TKC, May 21, 2006.

1. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Camelbak makes a style of bottle that has a straw connected to the lid -- you never need to tip it back to drink. Comes in 3 sizes. How big is the pocket in the car door? I don't think I have ever seen one that would hold a drink bottle but that would be a very nice feature.

2. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Empty Pockets

The only problem I've ever had with Nalgenes is with hitchhikers. ;)

[img width=640 height=450]http://www4.gvsu.edu/triert/images12/hitchhikers1b.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=626]http://www4.gvsu.edu/triert/images12/hitchhikers2b.jpg[/img]

3. hofodude

hofodude Empty Pockets

Thanks for the info, I will look for "Camelbak" type :)

I am not sure with the size of the pocket in the car door, but usually I stuff it with water bottle I buy in the gas station :)

4. kii

kii Loaded Pockets

Has anyone given thoughts to the issue of BPA that is used in manufacturing of the Nalgene bottles and the health risks that are now being discussed concerning it?

5. curlyfry562

curlyfry562 Loaded Pockets

What is BPA, can you give a link with info.

6. HoopleHead

HoopleHead Banned

IMHO (for myself and GF) if we arent storing water in a #7 nalgene bottle for more than a few days, or storing boiling water in them (which is rare) longer than it takes to cool down and drink it, were not gonna worry about it. way more other bad stuff to be concerned about...

7. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

I've already commented on it earlier in this thread. I consider it a non-issue.

If y'all are interested, I could dig out the original publication that initiated the "scare".

8. kii

kii Loaded Pockets

9. Bob Lindell

Bob Lindell Loaded Pockets

Regarding the above, from the site's own "About" section:

Radical Congruency is a weblog that has been active since February 2003. It was started by me, Justin, and at some point along the way I asked my friend Aaron, to join me in reflecting on theology, technology, and other topics that appear here. Daniel kept sending us stuff to blog about, so it was easier to just make him an author than deal with his constant stream of fascinating emails.

Uh, OK...

I'm gonna go refill my Nalg bottle. :cool:

10. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Though the link above has information pertaining to this discussion, the remainder of the site's content doesn't bear mentioning here.

Let's please keep this thread on the topic of Nalgene bottles.

:mm:

11. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

OK, guys, here I go again...

The scientific article that led to the original Sierra Club warning was this one:

Hunt, PA, KE Koehler, M Susiarjo, CA Hodges, A Ilagan, RC Voigt, S Thomas, BF Thomas and TJ Hassold. 2003. Bisphenol A exposure causes meiotic aneuploidy in the female mouse. Current Biology 13: 546-553.

I have the .pdf of that article and can e-mail it to anybody who's interested in learning more about it.

The detergent used in Dr. Hunt's lab is A-33, which has a pH of over 9. This makes it a very strong base, and the manufacturer warns against it use for cleaning polycarbonate materials. Here's site dealing with plastic animal cages. Notice the pics of "damaged" plastic animal cages. (Have you *ever* seen a Nalgene bottle so degraded?). Let me outline some key points:

- BPA (a compound that can leach of plastic after its structure is compromised) does produce increases in miscarriages and birth malformations compared to the background rate.
    - Based on an animal "model system", Dr. Hunt's study does support the notion that BPA exposure may have negative impacts on human genetics.
    - Using a strong detergent causes certain plastics to degrade and leach BPA.

Based on the above, I might agree I should stop using polycarbonate bottles. However, *nobody* uses A-33 as their household detergent! and I'm willing to bet nobody owns an autoclave to sterilize their dishes and bottles after washing. Wash your bottles with a mild detergent and rinse well. Discard if you see signs of wear. It's that easy!

[me=greenLED]steps off the Myth Busters soapbox[/me]

One more quick link.
    OK, I'm off the soapbox for good. Send me your Nalgene bottles! :wave:

12. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

FYI, GreenLED - The second link requires a login for those of us on the outside.

13. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

I was afraid that'd be the case. I get spoiled with full library access. :D Anybody interested in reading the paper, e-mail me.

14. callmekipling

callmekipling Empty Pockets

I love love love my nalgene bottles. I've found that if all you're drinking is water, just drink it empty and let it air dry.

Great for road trips too - at one time I got a very High Priority Order from my father that deercamp was out of OJ.. and a regular bottle or carton thereof would NOT have survived the drive up.

I have one bottle that lasted me through high school and (the first) freshman year of college, that is currently waiting on a new lid. Mom bought me a new one and then left it by the stove (melted the lid, need a new one for that too.) Then I have the one I replaced that with, and three more from a school promo (buy the bottle and get cheap refills.. I got the bottles free when the counter girl decided I was the hottest thing on two feet). Not that I intended, then, but I've quite the happy HDPE family!

In addition to holding liquid, they're good for keeping things dry (just dont' attempt both at the same time!)

Now all i need is a carabiner or some manner of paracord wizzy to keep the thing handy and hands-free and I'm golden ;D

15. carise

carise Empty Pockets

:) Maybe your hitchhiker is thirsty?

16. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Ive often admired those firefly LED lids for Nalgene bottles in "Blacks" (UK Outdoor Store) & they even have a larger size Nalgene bottle (possibly 1.5 litre?) that has a WIND-UP LED lid/light. Great idea.
    So far Ive resisted the temptation to get one as the last thing I need is another ruddy waterbottle, BUT, lets be honest we ALL know I'll buy one sooner or later.
    Absolutely NO impulse control, you see! ;D

17. jafo

jafo Empty Pockets

Bingo. I use my nalgenes to make tea for taking to work. If I'm in a hurry, I fill the bottle with ice and pour the hot, just-brewed tea over it. No worries. I put worries of the toxins in the bottles right up there with cellphone brain cancer. Complete :censored:.

18. bravo

bravo Empty Pockets

i've turned my nalgene into a french press....great for travelling having a java cup :ready:
    another nalgene has on the top of one camelback the bottle 75 (it fits perfectly) and on a third nalgene has been added a convertube (like the smart tube).
    the nalgene screws directly into my MSR miniworksEX water filter, no spilling water on hands...and in winter that's a great deal :surprise:
    nalgene is really versatile!

19. Hepcat85

Hepcat85 Empty Pockets

No. That's the newest model of bottle, the "Snacker Packer" Comes with a meaty treat on the top. :green:

20. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

Anyone know where to get cheap bottles? Walmarts Ozark Trail bottles leak on me, and I got Southern Comfort on some stuff, and I won't use them anymore.