1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Naked and Afraid TV series

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Snappy Hat, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Snappy Hat

Snappy Hat Loaded Pockets

Just saw this series online . Seems to be from Discovery channel.
    They stick a male and female in the middle of the jungle naked
    and they got to survive for 21 days.
    First episode a producer got bite by a Fer-de-lance and opening scenes is his foot
    laid open down to the tendons as they are trying to clean out his foot at the hospital.

So anyhow the 2 naked people each got to have 1 item and the guy brought a fire starter
    and the girl brought a machete. So thats their EDC , firestarter and machete.
    I can barely stand looking at this episode as they are working there way
    thru jungle naked with no protection vs the elements , biting ants, snakes, insects,
    spikes on trees and things going through there bare feet ugh.

It really hit me how unsuited the human body is for nature .

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  2. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

I have spent a lot of time in my life in places that WILL kill you and that show is totally ridiculous! If you are watching for totally psychological aspects of depravity and isolation effects on two strangers it's at best half watchable.

jph0200, nightowl and Snappy Hat like this.
  3. Foster
    • In Omnia Paratus

Foster Loaded Pockets

If you'd been barefoot your whole life, you'd have a much stronger footpad, and foot in general, so you wouldn't have near that much trouble in that regard. I'd say the human body is extremely adaptable, it is just that we tend to adapt to a modern culture that doesn't involve being naked in a jungle.

Most other species are endemic to only a very specific environment. For example, if you took a coyote, an extremely successful creature in its own environment from the plains of North America and put it into a jungle, it would have little hope of survival. Humans, since we can change the way we approach a situation, even down to out own bodies through the use of tools and clothing, stand a much better chance of surviving in a much larger array of very different environments, which is why we're thriving basically everywhere on the planet. It also helps that we work together socially, increasing the survival rate of the group.

4. Snappy Hat

What other reason would there be to watch it? :)

ProjeKtWEREWOLF and warchild like this.
  5. Snappy Hat

Regarding the foot, if you ever watch Dual Survival , Cody who has spent a lifetime barefoot still has issues
    walking around .

The adaptability for humans came down to using the large brain.

Just finished the 1st episode and the show blew it as far as I am concerned with the turtle the female caught. The first shots she grabs the turtle and its barely larger
    than her hand next scene cutting it up all of a sudden its about 2 feet long.

SAKplumber likes this.
  6. Snappy Hat

Watching episode 2. Older male and female they cant even walk 3 feet with out trouble lol.
    This time they are in dry Africa.
    Their EDC is a knife that he brought and she brings a small pot.

Question? You are naked and have to survive 21 days whats your EDC item to bring?
    Its toss up for me with knife or firestarter but no one brought a firearm yet .

7. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

Naked and Afraid me @ 6 in the morning;)

8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

But that's the allure of a show like this, isn't it? Watching so-called "normal" people fumble through a situation and evaluating their choices and decisions.

"Survivor" probably wouldn't be nearly as much fun if all the teams were made up of Green Berets.

HimalayanHitman, WWW and SAKplumber like this.
  9. Snappy Hat

These people so far all have some sort of survival background. 2 so far are survival school instructors
    and 1 is ex Army instructor. Im no expert , but the 2 in Africa camp about 10 feet
    from a water hole. With predators like hyeanas , lions around that to me seems
    like suicide , thats where these animals go to hunt at night.
    You can watch full episodes on Discoverys site. Frontal nudity is blurred out but they show buttocks
    in case anyone cant handle rears its a heads up.
    http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked-and-afraid

10. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Heh. Well never mind me then.

11. Snappy Hat

I totally agree about Survivor though .

12. filjos

filjos Loaded Pockets

Just saw a story the other day in the Daily Mail about how fake that show is. Something about giving the female some medical treatment or something after she got sick eating a fish or something like that. Apparently she got dehydrated so they put her on an IV drip of fluids, IIRC.

13. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Legal liability does come in to play eventually. While it may make compelling TV, letting one of them actually kick the bucket would be a big no-no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jimbogregs, ProjeKtWEREWOLF and Blair like this.
  14. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

Oh right, because tabloids always have reliable news.

15. filjos

filjos Loaded Pockets

It's still a misrepresentation of what actually goes on. Why not show everything? Might ruin the fantasy for some? But that's entertainment, I suppose. My point was that no one should take anything on TV too seriously.

16. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

True. That's why even dumb as rocks cavemen were intelligent enough to stop going around naked in the wilderness. Kinda makes you wonder about the intelligence level of those who choose to pair up and participate in this show.

jph0200, Blair and SAKplumber like this.
  17. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

I saw that first episode. Kept thinking how the guy was acting like what the Brits call a ":censored:" the whole time, and the girl was spending all of her time sunbathing on a rock by the river, so both of them deserved to get sick.

I don't know why they wouldn't show the medical treatment she received. I remember an episode of Man, Woman, Wild where the wife had some heat related problems and they called in the paramedic from the base camp. He treated her and they gave her a whole bottle of water, and showed most of it on screen, no effort to hide it. After all, most fans of these wilderness survival shows are smart enough to be aware that there is a whole safety crew 10 or 15 minutes away from the filming location.

The whole naked thing is nothing but a ridiculous gimmick. I also watched a couple of episodes of Naked Castaway; not a bad show, but again, the naked thing was a useless gimmick - it may be possible to wash up on shore somewhere without any clothing, but it's fairly unlikely unless the only thing you were wearing to begin with was swim trunks. In the jungle, it's absolutely ludicrous.

18. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

A satellite phone so I can call 911, get some help, get some clothes, get something to eat, and a helicopter ride back to civilization and a warm bed.

19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well, its not really about surviving...its about ratings:rolleyes_revamped:

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

In that case, they need to get some good-looking naked people to participate.

tmedina, ATF and SAKplumber like this.