1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mystery Ranch under plane seat size

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by giese, Jan 26, 2018.

1. giese

giese Loaded Pockets

I have used a Rush 24 for many years and it is starting to get holes worn in it. I have had no trouble sliding it under the seat on airplanes even when loaded up with a hard hat or work boots. Will a MR 3DAP fit under a seat? It seems a little large in pics but cannot tell. Volume seems to be similar between the Rush and 3DAP. If the 3DAP is too big any suggestions on another MR pack for this use from your experience?

2. sparktofire

sparktofire Loaded Pockets

I used to have one, its smaller than you would think seeing it in person. Would fit.

3. Lane DeCamp

Lane DeCamp Loaded Pockets

In a center seat on almost any airline in a Boeing 7#7 series or equivalent Airbus, the 3DAP fits easily. In the window seat it fits at an angle, top inserted head-in first. On the aisle seat, the pack fits but the tab that one of the straps attaches to at the bottom always tends to stick out a bit if you don't really secure the straps, and in that case it gets snagged by drink carts. There just isn't much of a barrier on the aisle side to keep the loose stuff out of the way, but once you realize it, you can deal with it.

On Bombardiers and smaller planes, the pack fits the aisle seat and is a slight squeeze on the window seat. It typically meets conventions for storage in the overhead. but I've seen occasional situations where there's not enough room. If I'm flying regularly with a 3DAP (which I often do for SAR or incident management missions), I include an ultralight drawstring duffel bag that I can pack the 3DAP into and cinch up tight. Then I can gate-check it or stash it creatively without concerns. If you try to gate-check the loose pack, expect to get a strap snagged or torn or a buckle broken.

HardToHandle likes this.
  4. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Much truth above.
    I flew a Blackhawk 3DAP on four flights this last week. Goes great under the wide body and one row A319/737s seats but troublesome on many regional airliners. Same story in the overheads, but if not packed full, it has fit into every regional it I have tried.

5. giese

giese Loaded Pockets

Great info, thank you for your time in sharing this. Currently I am considering the MR Urban Assault as it is smaller, and also get an approx 30L climbing pack from MR or Osprey, would be the same $ as the MR 3DAP and give me more options. Specs show the urban assault is larger than the main compartment on my Rush which would allow me to still put my bulky gear in and still leave some room for the other few EDC type items I carry when traveling. I dont seem to use all the nooks and crannies of my Rush and a few small organizing pouches could serve the same purpose. Also it could be a while before the 3DAP is available. Plus the Urban Assault has a clean basic look, might not turn as many heads.