1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mystery Ranch Sweetpea

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by TheBoyScout22, Oct 19, 2013.

1. TheBoyScout22
    • In Omnia Paratus

TheBoyScout22 Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for some input and reviews about this pack. I want it as a dayhike/travel pack. There are very few reviews on the pac out there, so I thought I would ask the good people of EDCF. So, to anyone who has this pack, how is it?
    Thanks

2. Makahbay

Makahbay Banned

I have used it for travel quite a bit. Doesn't fit easily under an airplane seat so it has to go in the bin.

Fits a fair amount. Pretty comfortable. Zero organization, so having some internal organizing pouches helps a lot.

If you plan on taking a laptop/netbook/tablet it can be a bit of a pain to remove it at the TSA checkpoint.

The NICE frame is a pretty bulky object.

3. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

I know there is atleast one review on here, from an owner. I have handled one an if I was looking for a new EDC pack it would be the only one on my list. I like the frame, the tuck away waist belt, the size is slightly larger then the volume suggests.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Here is a link to a post on this forum with a series of review links to another forum: Mystery Ranch

Also, a couple of Youtube reviews found on this website:

5. nylophile

nylophile Loaded Pockets

I just took my MR 3-Day Assault Pack (military version of the Sweet Pea) on a Southwest 737 and I could squeeze it under the seat, but you will have no leg room. The Tr-Zip is great because you can just stand the bag up at your feet and get into it from the top without disturbing your seatmates. Compression is great and the beavertail on the Sweet Pea would be great for lugging a jacket or whatnot through the terminal and security onto the plane and such.

Since you mention travel AND dayhike, I don't see it getting much better than this series. I try to carry-on as much as possible, which means a heavy pack. The Futura Frame is great. Not only can you cram a decent amount in the pack, but you then get a frame that can carry the weight comfortably out of the airport and then equally well out in the woods. The pack might be heavy for a 33L bag, but in my opinion it is totally worth it for the durability and weight-carrying ability.

6. eric_in_BC

eric_in_BC Empty Pockets

It's being re-designed for 2014, no beaver tail and a couple other changes. I hear it should be available in a couple months.

7. TheBoyScout22
    • In Omnia Paratus

TheBoyScout22 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the help. I am liking the pack more and more, I guess it's time to start saving up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

No beavertail? Aw, that sucks - it's a great feature.

9. Rb12

Rb12 Loaded Pockets

I wrote this not too long ago
    http://edcforums.com/threads/mystery-ranch-sweetpea-jandd-hermon-monster-travel-setup-pic-heavy.110115/

I use it for day hikes and travel. It is a bit heavy for edc IMO. I love the suspension for heavier or midsized loads but it is overkill for light small edc loads for me. I agree on lacking organization but it is fantastic with some pack cubes. There is also a molle area in the main compartment that I have a TT enhanced admin pouch which is the perfect deal for some organization.

I find the beaver tail quite useful but if it were removable like the 3 day assault pack, I think it would be the best of both worlds.

Oh I have not tried to put it under a seat but it fits in the overhead of even smaller regional jets

bigfoot likes this.
  10. Th4rg0r

Th4rg0r Loaded Pockets

Sweetpea with the plasticky beavertail makes it easier to cinch down your pack imo, so much so I got the stick it for my 3dap, remove the top compression, and makes it almost exactly like my sweetpea :D .

If you're planning to get a used one, I prefer the older "non spadelock" ones with inner molle at the very top. You can hang an organizer here right at the top. The newer sweetpea has it's molle much lower which makes it pretty useless for an organizer.

I'm actually looking forward for a redesign hoping they'll come out with a single color version. Mine's bright orange and getting too bright for my age :p .

11. Schuey2002

Schuey2002 Loaded Pockets

The only thing that I don't care for on their Sweatpea, is the long pockets that they put inside these bags.

I would rather have a row of two (or three) zippered or mesh pockets in the same area.

The long pockets are just a waste of space for what I want to use the bag for.. :(

ETA: Hmmm.. I don't see them on the bag above. Maybe I am thinking of an older version..

Last edited by Schuey2002, Oct 20, 2013
    bigfoot likes this.
  12. Rb12

Rb12 Loaded Pockets

I dont have any pockets inside mine (purchased in 2012 I think) unless you count the hydration sleeve. I have a zippered pocket at the very top in the flap, two water bottle pocekts on the exterior sides, a hydration pouch inside and a molle panel inside. I have woven in a medium sized Maxped general purpose pocket for awhile, but then switched th TT Admin Pouch which gives a nicer level of organization.

This review that gave me that idea looks like it has the exact interior config as mine (ironically the same color too ;) )

jungletraining.com/forums/showthread.php?13936-Mystery-Ranch-Sweetpea-and-Load-out

13. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

My only gripe with the MR packs -- if you could even call it that -- is that while the suspension is great, it makes things a little bulky for EDC use. Such as where you want to constantly take the pack on/off to get to the contents. Or, if you want a small profile to fit behind a seat or some other cramped space.

14. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Have you tried their new range of 1000 cu packs? The Spartan and I forget the other one now.

15. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Yeah, this was actually after seeing their ASAP pack. (I think around 1,200 cu in. or so.) Great construction, nice features, but just overkill for my EDC uses.

Rb12 likes this.
  16. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

*grin* Probably overkill for most of us, but I'd love to try one. From the sound of it, you're in the day pack range? 500 or so cu in.?

Rb12 likes this.
  17. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Not sure if you mean me or the OP -- but I'm probably in the area of 1,200 cu in, give or take a couple hundred. More in winter, less in summer. :)

18. Rb12

Rb12 Loaded Pockets

I agree with the suspension. I love the asap design but I think it is still over 3 lbs. I would love a smaller (<1400 cuin) pack with a lesser and lighter suspension. Like the Fuze that doesn't weigh 3+ lbs empty :)

bigfoot likes this.
  19. billybatson

billybatson Loaded Pockets

Anyone have any updates on the bag? Been thinking of getting one, and was wondering if anyone had opinions on the latest one?

20. Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek Loaded Pockets

Did the Scree replace the Sweet Pea?
    I'm trying to lessen my 3DAP weight by entertaining the Scree as a replacement/addition.
    Scree looks to have organization vs Sweet Pea