1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mystery ranch sweet pea questions

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by billybatson, Aug 22, 2015.

1. billybatson

billybatson Loaded Pockets

So I have been looking at mystery ranch packs for a while now. I really like the design of their bags and I want one. I want something around the 2000cu in. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the newer sweet pea? Maybe some pics or impression? I haven't been able to find a whole lot online, and the stuff I can find is usually reviews of the older pack with the stick it pocket. I also like the 3dap, but it's so expensive and I can't really afford it right now. Any help or info I could get would really appreciated.

rb2001 likes this.
  2. TacticoolMike

TacticoolMike Loaded Pockets

It's my understanding that the sweet pea is basically the 3dAp without any internal organization pockets or bottom compression straps. Plus it's made in the phillipines if you care one way or another. Otherwise they are the same, I think.

3. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Had one, carried it every day for about three weeks while I was traveling. The pack is very well made like you might expect, but a couple of things put me off on it. When it was partially full, it didn't hang well on my back and would sag towards the bottom. It really needs a stiffer frame sheet from my perspective. Also, not sure I dug the tri zip design - I know it's popular, but it can be a bit stiff and in some settings awkward.

For my typical use, which can include hauling cameras and day to day stuff, I've been much happier with my Goruck GR1 since it's a more formed/structured pack and is extremely easy to get into, organize, and for me is much more versatile. I gave the Sweat Pea away and can't say I miss it.

mevsme likes this.
  4. rb2001

rb2001 Empty Pockets

Two of the things I like about Mystery Ranch 3DAP is the live-wing belt upgrade and the ability to hide the waist belt. Are these features on the Sweet Pea?

5. brotherlen

brotherlen Loaded Pockets

I have the 3DAP, it's well made, heavy for a pack, the tri-zip is cool sometimes, but it's awkward other times. for EDC use, I think the older A-III 3 day packs are easier to slip in and out of, which would be important if you are in and out of your bag often. There are a lot of straps, so you have to tape them or find a way to secure them, they will flop everywhere. It is also not great when not full. It is an expensive pack. Still well made.

rb2001 likes this.
  6. stinky

stinky Loaded Pockets

Sorry i know this is a bit of an older thread...
    i have the 3DAP and the Sweet Pea. The Sweet Pea has less PALs webbing in a few places. There is also less material inside. All in all, they were able to reduce the weight significantly. In terms of stitch quality, the stuff coming from Phillipines is usually excellent. I'm not sure if it's in my head, but i feel as if the cordura used in the Sweet Pea might be lighter weight as well. I highly recommend the Sweet Pea and find myself using it a lot more for day to day stuff since it's much lighter and i can wear it more comfortably for long periods.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  7. CBisch

CBisch Loaded Pockets

I know this is an old thread and that they've stopped making the Sweetpea (for now) but I hope this helps. The inside it bare except for a spadelock attachment point, I have a 15' laptop sleeve for mine and love using it to travel. You can easy throw in a days worth of gear inside the bag, and you can strap on anything bulky or that you want quick access to on the outside. The lid pocket is pretty large and is great for smaller items. I find it useful to use small pocket organizers so that there arent too many loose items in there. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The sweetpea is the most versatile day pack ive had, I would classify it as a one day adventure pack. You can easily use it for school, travel and hikes. I found it to be a little large for school, but if you need to carry extra layers you might want that extra space. The "lack of organization" is a love it or hate it feature. There are only two pockets in this bag, the main compartment and the lid pocket. I like it because you can easily configure it for anything. And just like all MR packs it is comfortable as can be. I've hiked miles and miles with the sweetpea loaded up between 20-30lbs and I have no complaints! I was a little skeptic about not having the live wing waistbelt with it, but the waistbelt does a fine job of compressing the load to your back. I also like how you can easily tuck the waistbelt out of the way.

billybatson and Nick4305 like this.