1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mystery Ranch Hip Monkey images

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by munckmb, May 27, 2013.

1. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

That is why I jumped on the hip monkey as soon as I saw it. I have had several interpretations of lumber packs over time. Some, as you described, should have been a full blown pack for all the extra pockets and gadget holders that were attached. For me, the hip monkey brings a lumber pack back to reality.

zenpunk likes this.
  2. Rb12

Rb12 Loaded Pockets

Just to give you my 2-cents, about 9 months ago I was looking at the Mountainsmith, Mystery Ranch and actually the Jandd Hermon Monster (http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FHRMN).

I am a big fan of Mystery Ranch and love my pack and their customer service is fantastic, but I could not find a great review or pics of the Hip Monkey to get the right idea of how it would carry. One thing I loved about the MR was that It can arguably be worn as a sling pack (cross body), which is not the case with many other lumbar packs. That said, had I seen this thread with all the great pics, it probably would have sold me on it :)

I checked out the Mountainsmith at REI. Seemed like a nice pack and I really liked the yellow interior so you can see what is in there. I did not like shock chord on the outside (yes I know I could remove it). There was something else that I was concerned about but for the life of me I cannot remember now.

The Jandd I was able to get my hands on because my friend has one, but I have had a smaller Jandd lumbar pack that I have used for going on 20 years and it still looks brand new. This has a padded waist belt and back and also includes a plastic frame sheet with aluminum stay (it is removable and personally seems like overkill for a pack with such small capacity, but whatever). The hip belt does fold in on itself and is removable (remove two nylon straps and pull it off). You can also set it up with a shoulder harness system.

Couple other considerations for you, I liked the zipper on the top in the Jandd and Mountainsmith where the zipper on the MR is more on the front. The top config just allows me to overfill it a bit if necessary. I also liked having the ability to lash to the outside if necessary like on the Mountainsmith and Jandd, however, I liked the adjustable webbing straps on the Jandd more than shock chord on the Mountainsmith.

Ultimately, I decided I wanted to support US manufacturers with whom I have a history, so I threw out the idea of the Mountainsmith. Since I couldn’t find good reviews/pics at the time on the MR, I went with the Jandd. I have been very happy with it though. I made a few mods so the shoulder strap attachs to the side (and used an REI one so it wouldn’t slip when carrying like a messenger) and wrapped the handle in chord for easier grip.

Pics and some more comments toward the middle of my post here: http://www.edcforums.com/threads/mystery-ranch-sweetpea-jandd-hermon-monster-travel-setup-pic-heavy.110115/

3. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Mountainsmith gear is generally very solid, dependable stuff.

If nothing else, the MR Hip Monkey comes in some fairly muted colors compared to the Mountainsmith Tour. I have a couple of the bright red Tours. Your fellow hikers won't ever lose sight of you with those on. ;)

4. escuelavieja

escuelavieja Loaded Pockets

Mine’s red in the hope that the hunters won’t lose sight of me. :eek:

powerring likes this.
  5. BrianEDC

BrianEDC Loaded Pockets

My Hip Monkey arrived today just a few ago. What a nifty bag - great size (like between my TB Side Effect and Co-Pilot.

I look forward to giving this some use ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

munckmb and JT2V like this.
  6. JT2V

JT2V Loaded Pockets

How water resistant is the Hip Monkey material, or Mystery Ranch materials in general? I like to use waist packs when fishing which often includes inclement weather. Would I need a second layer for moisture protection in a moderate downpour?

7. Grav
    • +1 Supporter

Grav Loaded Pockets

I just broke down and ordered a MR hip monkey based on this thread. I'll say, that is a hard bag to find any info on out there. I've been back and forth between this and the Mountainsmith tour and day models all week. The MR bag looks cooler (based on these very nice pics in this thread) and was in between the volume size of the two MS bags which is what decided it for me. I'll give my impressions once it comes in. Thanks to those of you who took pics and discussed this bag here. I never could have decided on it without this thread.

zenpunk and powerring like this.
  8. Grav
    • +1 Supporter

Grav Loaded Pockets

Well I got the hip monkey and it is a cool little bag and well built but once I got it loaded with what I wanted in it, it seemed a little smaller then I thought it would be. So I think it's going back to MR and I just got a mountainsmith day. I think this bag is going to be exactly what I was looking for once I do a few little mods of course.

Sent from myself from the future using Tapatalk 5

9. rhicks

rhicks Loaded Pockets

Hey guys I want to give everyone a heads up. I just got my hip monkey delivered and apparently the new version does NOT have shoulder strap attachments as seen in picture #2 in OP and in almost every google search I have seen. I must say at this point I am very disappointed. I was expecting to use this bag as a man purse style bag.

swany66675 likes this.
  10. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

That is disappointing if MR dropped that feature. That is one reason I bought mine. My Kifaru tailgunner had the same feature which made it more versatile .

11. rhicks

rhicks Loaded Pockets

I'm testing out a idea and so far it's working. I have a old strap from a Caselogic bag that I am using and going to attach two ITW Tac Link carabiners to the compression straps up through the small loop straps on the side of the bag. I have a black one on there now but a Grimloc on the other side. I don't like the way the Grimloc works when used as a strap attachment point. As soon as my order for a set of coyote brown Tac Link comes in I'll upload some pictures. Having the carabiners offloads the weight to the main compression straps but also gives some stability by running them through the smaller loopers.
    As for being a waist pack, it's great. Even with the plastic plate out of the back, the back pocket is a little tight but I managed to squeeze my phone and wallet in there. I tried using it as a sling bag while riding my bike. It's not going to work. It keeps wanting to go under my arm and around to the side. To be honest, and even though I think Mystery Ranch makes great packs, my Mountainsmith Day pack that is three or four years old is more versatile and purchased for half what I got the Hip Monkey for.

powerring likes this.
  12. Firemission

Firemission Loaded Pockets

That's a good question about sales. Too be honest I haven't seen any yet. I get updates from them once in awhile and always check their site for new stuff. It would be nice to see something like that.

13. rhicks

rhicks Loaded Pockets

Here are some shots of the ITW Tac-Link in CB with the Hip Monkey. It's not the best solution but it's been working really well for the past couple of months for me. It also lets me use whatever strap I want. I do use the waist strap on occasion but 85% of the time it's on my shoulder. I will say that after using this bag for the past couple of months I really like it. I'll be selling off most of my other bags and start checking off items from my Mystery Ranch shopping list. That 3 Day Assault pack is first on the list.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dwong, JT2V and Rb12 like this.
  14. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

Hey Folks,

Any chance of some pics that show the inside a bit better?

15. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

Great photos, but I can't quite tell if there are any organized compartments etc on the inside or if it is one large open area!?

Sent from my iPhone via Sausage Thumbs

16. rhicks

rhicks Loaded Pockets

There is one zippered pocket inside the main pocket. There is also one zippered pocket on the outside. The tablet is a Nexus 7 to give some idea of size. The Nexus will easily fit inside the zippered pocket inside the main pocket. It will even zip shut. The Monkey did have a plastic back end that caused that inside pocket to be very tight. I removed it and now that pocket is usable. The plastic is somewhat easy to get in and out so I can easily put it back end if need be. Does this help?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

That's was great!! Thank you Sir!!