1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mystery Ranch Crew Cab and NICE frame system - anyone use one?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by jmac30, Jan 5, 2013.

1. jmac30
    • In Omnia Paratus

jmac30 Loaded Pockets

Hi everyone - having relocated to the UK and gone to a car free life - I find myself in need of an EDC bag that can accommodate both my regular load out as well as the weirdly shaped / bulky items and parcels I seem to end up needing to get back to the house while still trying to corral a set of toddler twins who find everything new and exciting and want to run and investigate!

I have been looking at the Mystery Ranch Crew cab and find it intriguing - anyone have any experience and comments on it and the NICE frame system - positive or negative?

Or any recommendations for a similar system setup - i am liking the NICE frame system for when I get back to the US and am able to hunt and fish on a more regular basis and adjust the pack to what I might need for a given trip.

Thanks

2. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

Main recommendation with Mystery Ranch - if you can afford it, go for it.
    Crewcab might be too big for EDC, but it's a great pack.

Good review here: http://packsandbeyond.com/2011/06/417/

3. Th4rg0r

Th4rg0r Loaded Pockets

I had a CrewCab when in texas, thought could use it for short edc too, but sold it and got a wolfpack and use that mainly for my hikes/camps/travels. Problem i encounter with NICE for edc is the waist belt, no easy way to stash it (sewed on), and it protrudes at an angle (velcroed).

So I still looked like I was going to war shopping for grocery at HEB.

4. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

If you want same concept with detachable belt, cheaper and with excellent daypack coming with it, look at eberlestock skycrane II. Not as cool and no nice frame though.

I think eberlestock is seriously underrated. They make excellent packs.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Gnarly likes this.
  5. Th4rg0r

Th4rg0r Loaded Pockets

Agree on the eberlestock, 100% agree after I saw them in person. Sadly also decided they're not for me after I tried one on. It's like wearing a tank on your back, super robust, super tough pads, etc. They actually feel very much more "military tough" than mr nice, plus cheaper, also felt heavier (not sure though, never did compare specs).

Not sure how they carry loads though, but felt so much tougher than so many supposed military grade packs. Recommended them to a hunter friend and he love them till today.

6. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

They are heavier than anything comparable from MR (heck, they are probably the heaviest :), and they carry weight extremely well. Of all bags I have, which includes futura harness bags and omnitech kifaru, eberlestock is the most comfortable under load even without a belt. I also think that eberlestock belts and the way they load their belts is the best in the industry.

They do suffer from maxped syndrome of being smaller than expected a little bit though, so it's really worth seeing them in person.

7. jmac30
    • In Omnia Paratus

jmac30 Loaded Pockets

Thanks ambaal and Shang Goh - I appreciate the feedback! Will definitely take a look at the eberlstocks as well! Jim

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

8. Hoyt3d

Hoyt3d Empty Pockets

I used a crewcab for a handfull of overnight trips and a few times as a day pack. As a daypack I found it was to busy when folde up.
    Just could never get used to it and bailed on the idea. When the center is loaded up with a bucket or dry bag I found the pack portion to be useless. Ive been using there loadsling with a Kifaru scout piggybacked and Its been working great. The loadsling as way flexibility in carring awkward loads. When not using the loadsling and just want a pack for long trips I throw a HSGI Trash Can on the nice frame.

9. jmac30
    • In Omnia Paratus

jmac30 Loaded Pockets

Thanks hoytd3d - will take a look at the bags mentioned - how do you find the nice frame waist belt in day to day use?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

10. Hoyt3d

Hoyt3d Empty Pockets

The waistpad is alot stiffer than other packs I have, which helps with big loads. Like Shang Goh said it won't really fold out of the way.
    With little to no weight the pack might feel funny. Lucky for me I pack way too much stuff and never have that problem. The most amount of weight I've had on the frame has been about 115-120lbs and I think it was as comfortable as that much can be. As for versatility it really cant be beat, even though Kifaru makes their Duplex frame which is similar. The nice frame can take any pack designed for the ALICE system like USGI issue packs,TT,LBT,Blackhawk,Ares Armor,HSGI, BDS and TAG. I dont think the kifaru can.
    Let me know if you want some real life pic's I got like 4 or 5 pack set ups for the frame.